It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They are OLD! Get over it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I am sick and tired of these old people making headlines every time they get sick or die. Don't get me wrong-I love old people. Some of my favorite grandparents are old.

Johnny Carson was a great man......Pope John Paul is a great person....Ronald Reagan was a great person.....

But my freakin' head is going to explode if I don't stop hearing Fox News Alerts and seeing three pages of the newspaper dedicated to "What a trajic loss, Johnny Carson was only 2,346 years old" or "OMIGOSH! The Pope might die because he is only 4,782 years old and he has the flu" or "Today the nation celebrated Reagan's birthday. He is dead, but had he lived he would only be 9,215 years old. What a trajic loss!"

Gimme a break. No disrespect to these or any old people, but they are OLD! They are not going to live forever and I only pray to God I can live as long as them and accomplish half of what they did. But it shouldn't be national news for five days when one of them gets a cold. Leave them be, leave me be and lets talk about some real news..........................

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Like that Pakistani President, Pervert Musharraf. He is not even old. They say that when he dies all hell is going to break loose over there. Something about nuclear war and all. He is not going to live forever now is he? But they said all hell would break loose when Arafat died too.
And I agree with you. They should use the media for more important issues than old people getting sick. When important people die, ok. Before they die, it´s just because they got some other important issue that they really don´t want to talk about. Distraction...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Maybe all these old people just have bad timing (or good timing) and get sick or die on a slow news day......................?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I guess when you make a name for yourself or are a legend, news reports come out letting us know that those people have died.

It is sad when someone dies however it's not tragic when the situation doesn't involve a tragic happening. Princess Diana was tragic, I think most news channel's like to over react and use adjectives that don't necessarily fit the event.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
You are young enough that the people involved don't affect you directly.

When the people you grew up with, the celebrities who formed the backdrop of your own development. When they start heading feet first for the marble gardens, you start to pay attention.

I remember having a girl in the house without my parents knowing. We made out while Johny Carson did his opening monologue. I bragged in study hall on Monday about getting to second base. It was a big deal.

When I was a kid, Mr. Rogers was on TV. he was still on TV when I was flipping through channels, watching the stock market crash in '87. He was still on while I was watching Enron implode. And now he's dead. I don't know what to compare it to in your life. Hmmm.

Some of you were listening to Nirvanna when Cobain did it. You might know the feeling I'm talking about.

Well, It's even worse when they keel over from oldishness. It is a reminder that your odometer is ticking away, too.

If your life is a single day, there comes a point where you realise that it's noon right now. . . Even though there's plenty of brightness in your life, you realize that the sun will always be setting from now on. That it will get dark eventually.

That there will come a time when you cease to exist.

When you slumber in the arms, of Morpheus.

Ah, to sleep. Perchance to dream.

But with enchanted slumber, what dreams may come?

:shk:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
They are not in the headlines since they are old... they are in the headlines since they are cultural icons who were loved by many who passed away.

When the next cultural icon passes away, do us all a favor and change the news station back to the Disney channel and stop complaining.

[edit on 2-20-2005 by JediMaster]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Some of my favorite grandparents are old

Usually to qualify as a grandparent......never mind

top topics

join