It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt mounts HUMVEE based AN/TWQ-1 Avengers for air defense on its new Mistral LDH's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Its an interesting idea and somewhat out of the box thinking. Egypt purchased the Mistral class LDH's that France was building for Russia. In an effort to proved a rudimentary close in weapons system they have tied down several AN/TWQ-1 Avengers on the deck of the ship. The Avengers is basically a HUMVEE with pod mounded FIM-92 Stingers which has a range of about 5 miles. The sea environment is pretty brutal but the ships have a ridiculous freeboard so it may not be that bad

www.janes.com...

I wonder if you could mount a PAC-3 battery or even say a THAAD system on similar ships?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That is an awesome idea.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I read about this a while back. There were rumours of this back in 2016.

The ships were originally gonna go to Russia, who were going to fully fit out the ships with all the weapons, systems and such.

But then the coup in Ukraine in 2014 and all that came to an end so they were sold to Egypt.

Apparently Egypt want the Russians to fit out the ships and sell them some helicopters for them. Presumably this is a (very poor) stop gap measure until the work can be completed.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

"If it's stupid, and it works, it ain't stupid."

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

True that. They also have an assortment of TOR, BUk and S-300 that they could place on it if they wanted go all anti air. But can the stinger alone provide a reasonable defense against ASM's?

They already posses the RAM system on other ships.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Exactly what I was thinking...

Why spend billions, that you don't have, when millions will get something serviceable, and adequate to your needs?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Until they have a more finalized solution, yes. This is a great temporary solution until they can outfit it more permanently.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

that is the most retarded crap i have seen today

the article even says its " pod mounted "

thier inability // refusal to separate the SAM system from the vehicle is a level of ineptitude // laziness beyond the pale

top topics

join