It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepare for a correction

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Then why are so many foreigners, especially the Chinese, buying American property?

Property is a little different. Most Americans cant afford to own property right now. You probably heard the American dream is slipping away...

There are two kinds of people who will suffer the least from the downturn itself. One is the person who owns things outright. The other is the person who owns absolutely nothing. The people who will suffer the most are the ones who have half a house paid for, half a car paid for, etc.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Lost faith in the new President fixing and making everything wonderful?

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: solve

But if things get real good, and we are living in a post apocalyptic world, what do you do with stocks, unless they are livestock

Post apocalyptic and post economic collapse are (hopefully) two different things.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

a reply to: havok

What governs the universe so it doesn't wipe itself out? Laws.

What governs us so we don't wipe each other out? Laws.

Lawmakers matter. Being self sufficient is a romantic idea but a stupid one and will not protect your families. We came out of the forests and grew wheat because we were hungry.

Even people who live in the Alaskan Bush have to find civilization to get what they need to stay alive. Like a dentist.

That is not exactly true. Until around 12,000 years ago people lived hunter gatherer lifestyles. We did fine. Then people learned a little about agriculture and we were able to grow food that we didn't need to consume that day. We could save it for weeks, months, even a year. Then we started a more sedentary lifestyle that required less travel to survive. That led to the technological boom when we had time to start to devise machines and methods to improve our productivity and enhance our quality of life. The big change came with the discovery of first coal, then oil, and ultimately natural gas. These energy sources were so powerful they literally changed the world overnight. Historically speaking we have only had energy like this for about 1/10000 of our time on Earth. And we have burned through nearly all of it in just a couple hundred years. The problem is we have no readily available replacement.

People have lived with less in the past and we can do it again if we have to. That six month period of adjustment will be hell though.
edit on 4-7-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Lost faith in the new President fixing and making everything wonderful?

Your political bias has left you a shell of what you used to be.

No, I have not lost faith in anything. But I am also aware of how incredibly screwed up obama made things. obama spent eight years talking about the economy he inherited and his loyal followers backed him up on it every time. Well, Trump inherited an economy a whole hell of a lot worse than obama did. Does he get eight years of blaming someone else? No. Not according to you. Its all his fault for not fixing it in three months when in eight years all obama did was make it worse than ever before.

This is a financial discussion. Your comments are sad and out of place here.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Enough of the political baiting and thread drift!

This is a discussion of finance. If you cant take your demagoggles off long enough to have a serious discussion please leave.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

If politics has nothing to do with the stock market, who promised them a yuge tax cut? Now that reality is setting in, you are here to prepare the worker that their life is going to get worse. Well done.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
Enough of the political baiting and thread drift!

This is a discussion of finance. If you cant take your demagoggles off long enough to have a serious discussion please leave.

You can't separate the economy and politics. You yourself just trashed Obama and his policies in this very thread, so now you want to move the goal posts?

I'm blessed to have prepared long ago for what will happen this year. I'm leaving! believe me....

When has a Trump styled trickle down economy model ever worked for the middle class? It's Trumps BS policies that will bring on the CRASH. Not a correction a crash. believe me....

edit on 4-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Then why are so many foreigners, especially the Chinese, buying American property?

Property is a little different. Most Americans cant afford to own property right now. You probably heard the American dream is slipping away...

There are two kinds of people who will suffer the least from the downturn itself. One is the person who owns things outright. The other is the person who owns absolutely nothing. The people who will suffer the most are the ones who have half a house paid for, half a car paid for, etc.

My question is, do we really "own" anything?? If the dollars or Federal Reserve Notes are merely "debt coupons" representing a series of loans to the US government, wouldn't a default include seizure of assets acquired with them?

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

But I will say this: it would be wise to acquire the stocks you feel are the appropriate ones to own in a correction.

Did you just say that a crash is coming, buy stock?

I already know a crash is coming...

Buy precious metal in easily recognizable form. I spent fifty bucks on some pre 64 US silver coins this weekend at the flea market, put in an order for more. Got them at melt value, i.e. "junk" silver price.

Silver coins have tangible, intrinsic value, everyone recognizes them. Stocks, bonds and savings, are only paper receipts.

'Junk' Silver, pre '64 US coins

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I paid my house off in prep for another crash. With a greenhouse. And lots of room for family if need be. I have invested a lot in security for defense against addicts and thieves.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, but what does this mean for people who don't own their home but rent from a landlord? I personally have zero debt...but I rent my house. If such a "correction" occurs, what happens to people like us who don't own the roof over our heads? Are we just out on the streets?

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I paid my house off in prep for another crash. With a greenhouse. And lots of room for family if need be. I have invested a lot in security for defense against addicts and thieves.

Good. (jealous)

Gold, guns and real estate are the most tangible of assets. I rate a box of .22 rimfire ammo up there as well. Hedge that portfolio with 10% silver and gold in small, easily recognizable increments.

During winter there is little produce, and you can't trade your homestead for food.

In the olden days people used to wear linked chains of gold about their body under clothing to buy and sell at the market. Small links of gold are easy to un link and verifiable by touch stone and balance scale.

When Mel Fischer discovered the Spanish treasure ship Atocha off Florida, there were long linked gold chains in the hold...

These weren't used as jewelry, they were for purchasing goods. The chain is hidden from view about the body (no pockets to pick or purse to steal), carried everywhere they went, they were invisible to the casual observer.

Gold chains from Atocha

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Silver coins are a good investment. There are some stocks that are likely to do better in a massive correction than others. Granted, this time around it is a bit different. Even the most solid stocks will not survive if the currency itself fails. Only time will tell on that one. that is why I hesitate to offer any kind of advice. I can speak historically and compare past trends to current ones, outcome include. But this could be very different than anything we have experienced in the past.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Its hard to say. The people who will suffer the least are the ones who own everything outright. Except for imminent domain their possessions can not be taken. And the ones who own nothing. They have nothing to lose. The people who have a lot of debt and don't actually own anything are the ones who will hurt the most. Unfortunately in today's climate that is the majority of people.

If you are suddenly not able to pay your rent your landlord may think twice about keeping you. But it may also be difficult finding someone who can afford to pay rent. Additionally, the landlord himself may not be able to pay the mortgage on the property so it may ultimately be the bank making the decisions. This will all take time.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Precious metals. Dollar goes down, Gold & Silver go up. Dllar goes up, Gold & Silver go down. Simple enough for a 10 year old to conceive. Add in the fact that its inflation proof, and thats all I needed to withdraw my 401K 2 years ago and buy precious metals.
And right now, theres a nice dip. BUY BUY BUY!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

That's easy to predict. Republicans are in charge,so many job losses, a recession for the poor and working class(that's funny), and unpaid for wars.

Is that intended as comedy... or do you really believe that?

So far as how broken our economy and politics are... here in the U.S. we have a one party system. One corrupt old bird with a red wing and a blue wing. Money and re-election rule the day... and anyone whose been in Congress for more than a couple terms is likely compromised by their need to get re-elected, their own cynicism... and the control file the Intel agencies have on every damn thing they have ever done.

If you really think about it... the only reason the crap heads keep getting voted into office to continue their corruption and looting for their constituents, corporate backers, is because of people who still see DC as Democrats and Republicans.

Trump got elected... and the "one party bird" is against him... both Republicans and Democrats... on a number of issues, Trump doing what he said he will takes money out of BOTH their pockets.

Love him or hate him... watching him wreck "business as usual" in DC is probbly well worth the cost of admission.
edit on 4-7-2017 by dasman888 because: Zombie pill bugs

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

This would be a good situation to ask our land lord if the house you rent is mortgaged. It takes time to evict a tenant when the rental owner craps out, and banks are slow. Think it took 6-8 months to get through to kicking the tenant out.The last house I bid was a short sale, we (the bank and I) could not work out a price, so it went into foreclosure.
In the depression many banks allowed the owner (or tenant) to stay in the home even after foreclosure because it would not be vacant and had a better chance of not being damaged.

We are indeed in hip deep shot. The rigged system is reaching it's conclusion, and it is not a surprise.

Some very real problems that our all knowing politicians have gotten real good at kicking down the road.
fiat currency (not backed)
fractional reserve lending
non govt created money
unlimited outsourcing of jobs (corporatism)
a medical system who's main goal is money and massive insurance fraud
tickle down econ (can kicking)
an economy based on slave labor in 3rd world countries
bought and paid for media

edit on 4-7-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yes, my model had a correction for summer but now it's the U S taking the system down

See the Boston Fed Reserve Bank site.....link publications.....see that road to roota

They have the redistribution formula designed by Greenspan ....for after the crash

Social security.....and they tout serving the oldest first, I don't know why but cool with me, huh!

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I sold my house once I saw this coming. I rent now.

The landlord? They live towns away. If the currency collapses, they have no incentive to kick me out- and with the legal system falling down with currency, I'd say I'm pretty safe- who'se to say that isn't my building, now?

I lived in the city- so the house had to go anyway. Never could have paid it off in the time it took me to refinish and sell.

That leaves me with a pile of potentially worthless US dollars.
I'm investing in some cryptocurrencies- in the event USD doesn't fail, it will still correct- and at least some cryptocurrencies will be worth far more USD than they are now.
Also going to start picking up some silver. Still uncertain if I want to go with junk silver coins or buy .999 fine silver 1oz bricks- the bricks are less useful for barter, but probably resale for more after the correction. Still thinking on that one.

Looking to invest the bulk of my cash in some land- with fresh water.
I likely won't be able to pay that off either, it looks like... but I'll be able to start building a home on it, and growing a garden.
In the event of a USD total crash, I suppose I could trade some of my silver for wheelbarrows of worthless cash to pay off my loans and get those thieves off my back.

Lots of political elite have invested in bunkers. There's lots of information about it out there. They're preparing for it- but they like their rich powerful lives and will do anything they can to kick the can down the road and make it a problem for the next generation.

I think they'll succeed. It may mean a 90% drop in the value of USD, but I think they'll keep it going for at least a few more years.
Unless they fail. The new administration is actually trying to fix the problem rather than stretch it out- that gives us an interesting dynamic- and it's always possible there's a NWO behind the curtain, ready to pull the plug on USD. They wouldn't let a little thing like POTUS get in the way of that.

Heck- a few state governments shut down last week, including my own. I heard CHASE bank had some major outages yesterday.
For all I know they're all heading to their bunkers right now while the rest of us celebrate the holiday(well, I'm at work... but yeah) and we'll find out tomorrow at market open that the currency has been... dropped. And all of the government would shut down overnight- town, city, state, federal... With no funding, everyone just goes home to contemplate this very thread.

That also means within a few days the power goes out. Cell phones won't work. Internet and all of its resources are gone.
Gas stops being refined, oil stops being pumped. Gas stations don't work.
Grocery stores are empty- looted and picked clean within the first few days.

Maybe I'll pick up a rifle today after work.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join