It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What use is gold in say an EMP strike?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

I don't think your getting it..

I stated now and ever after.... Point being gold has value now and always will as long as someone will value it.

I have all ways wanted a gold bar like in fort Knox... My reasoning is mere curiosity, I've always wanted to know what it would feel like to hold it in my hands. I don't really care if you or anyone thinks its silly. So I will be accepting gold in my barters until I reach 400 oz and smelt me a bar to use as a paperweight.

Now keep in mind, I realise not many people would make the trade now... I am just point out the FACT that people will desire gold so therefore it would have value. I know this is a FACT because I am one of them.

That being said I do not own any gold at the moment... A couple oz of silver, a few pounds of tobacco, some alcohol and green, 15k rounds of various ammo, a month of foodstuff, and knowledge are my supplies to keep me around till I can trade for your "worthless" gold.

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The trick to bartering is to buy low and sell high...

Don't think for a second I didn't offload a substantial amount of .22lr at $1 a pop during the shortage and high demand. I can carry/use only so much.

It fun to think about worthless gold and diamonds littering the streets while you get mugged for the bottle of water your drinking. While getting mugged seems possible depending on the area your in. Values of gold will remain high until supply is greatly enhanced either by dispersing the giant hordes of gold into the market, or a way to create cheap gold.
edit on 14-7-2017 by Notably0ffbeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notably0ffbeat
It fun to think about worthless gold and diamonds littering the streets while you get mugged for the bottle of water your drinking.
What's fun about that?
If someone is starving or thirsty then your gold will be worthless to them. They will want your water and food.

*In my OP situation scenario of total worldwide societal collapse of course.
Oh, and of course some wise guys have pointed out that EMP nuclear attacks are localised so would take many bursts, and the sun apparently cannot ever cause such a worldwide situation. But if you wish to imagine such a societal collapse scenario, explain to me why I'd want to trade you a laying hen for your crap gold?
edit on 14-7-2017 by InceyWincey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
you can make a gold foil hat...
which has more protection than a tin foil hat..

DUH....

posted on Jul, 14 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: InceyWincey
But if you wish to imagine such a societal collapse scenario, explain to me why I'd want to trade you a laying hen for your crap gold?

That is one sided. Notably0ffbeat just posted that he would trade food for gold.

I would gladly trade a laying hen for her weight in gold.

I'd be betting that things don't take long in getting back on track. You are betting against that. Nothing wrong with that difference of opinion.
edit on 14-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Of course, we always make our choices based on our perception of risk in our given situation.
Hungry people in a total collapse Britain scenario would not get a laying hen off me in exchange for any precious metal, shotgun cartridges maybe, alcohol or tobacco products maybe, but a gold sovereign no, keep it, no use to me.
Perhaps I look at it differently because my skillset means either apocalypse or recovery of society I will earn enough of whatever the currency becomes regardless.

But so long as people are hungry or struggling to find antibiotics, tobacco or liquor, I'll turn down any inert element if that's all you have to trade.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: InceyWincey

Exactly. Even in the situation you describe I would not be in "total collapse Britain" so I will not be faced with the same set of decisions.

If history is an indicator then precious metals will have some value before any other currencies are established. If current currencies remain viable then it isn't the situation you described.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
If history is an indicator then precious metals will have some value before any other currencies are established. If current currencies remain viable then it isn't the situation you described.

And my point stands. In a situation where all people are wanting is food or clean water etc, gold is worthless.

If you presented yourself to me in such a situation wanting to buy a laying hen or a few eggs with your gold sovereign, I'd laugh you off my property. Couple of shotgun cartridges we might have a deal, but gold no chance.
I don't need that metal because if society recovered and a new currency was formed I will be earning it again through my skillset.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

And my point stands. In a situation where all people are wanting is food or clean water etc, gold is worthless.

You have no idea what all people will be wanting. You don't even know if such a situation can be caused by loss of electricity. Society existed long before the electrical grid. Ancient civilizations valued gold. You are going against historical facts.

You are forcing the scenario to fit your conclusion.

If you presented yourself to me in such a situation wanting to buy a laying hen or a few eggs with your gold sovereign, I'd laugh you off my property. Couple of shotgun cartridges we might have a deal, but gold no chance.
I don't need that metal because if society recovered and a new currency was formed I will be earning it again through my skillset.

You keep saying gold is worthless to you but fail to see that it is just your opinion.

That doesn't mean that it won't be an item others are not willing to trade for. You have at least 3 people in this thread that prove you wrong.

If society recovered and I have 20 lbs of gold (which would fit in a half liter bottle) from trading a dozen hens before that then I won't need to work as hard to earn the same amount of new currency as you. That would have been the purpose all along.

edit on 15-7-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Why are you giving it all the 'prove you wrong' thing, this is a hypothetical discussion. You value gold in a hypothetical situation where everyone is hungry and I don't.
Are you desperate to be 'right' about this imaginary situation or something.
If we had a temporary or even long term hunger situation and you wanted one of my hens in exchange for a lump of gold I'd tell you to # off.

You can hoard your gold as much as you like, I'll eat my eggs and chickens. Now again, shotgun cartrides, alcohol, tobacco products, medicines, we might have a deal, but you can keep your gold.
It is my opinion, you have yours, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in this hypothetical situation outlined, but you are desperate to be 'right' for some reason. Keep your gold, I don't want it, what the # can you tell me is wrong about that?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Location location location - The man carrying a pound of gold would gladly give it up for a glass of water where no water can be found.

Water will be king, food, antibiotics, I think Silver will Trump Gold!

Good point! This was one of my considerations while living in AZ. No fresh water source, 3-5 hr drives to evacuate state; and that's if you didn't run out of gas and didn't encounter any cartels.

White Mtns of NH would be my preference, I have friends and family there as well. Also have a family plan D that we've all agreed upon!
edit on 15-7-2017 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2017 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I was chatting to a friend earlier and we were discussing the obsession regarding hoarding gold. Both of us agreed that if we woke up one day and nothing electrical worked then there would be chaos and looting all over. I live in the UK, and certainly where I am I'd imagine the first few hours/day would be confusion as nobody (including emergency services) would know what is going on, then panic.

In normal circumstances I do not condone looting or other criminal behaviour, but if by say 10:30am I've figured out that the UK is down, no vehicles working, no electronics etc, and accepted my society has changed forever, then my friends and I will certainly take as much as we can in an attempt to survive.

We then discussed what we'd take, and quickly came to the conclusion that antibiotics, pain killers, alcohol, and tobacco products will be the new currency on top of food. So yes, while gold is nice n shiny n all, if you have a festering wound and want to stop the infection your shiny sovereign isn't gonna interest me or anyone else to trade for my medicine. I may consider alcohol or food, but gold? Nah, keep it.

So ATS, all you hoarding gold in the event of total societal collapse, what do you think anyone else will want it for? I can see no reason I would ever trade useful life saving items, or even alcohol or tobacco products for your shiny element.

Apologies in advance if I don't reply too much, this is purely a question and I'm just interested in why people think it's worth spending their money on gold instead of Morphine, Codeine, Antibiotics, alcohol, or tobacco. That, and food/water will be the new currency for many years if it ever all goes tits up.

Gold hoarders will be the last to be looted, well by anyone who wants to live of course.

Gold is the most valuable metal in an emp strike. Gold is one of the best conductors on the planet, and an emp is a one time triggered event; meaning anything not shielded gets fried. It doesn't stop you from building new electronics, and with gold being one of the best conductors in the universe, that makes it's value super, super, super, high. Way higher than it is now, since it's mostly used as novelty/aesthetics.

The truth of the matter is, an EMP strike isn't nearly as impactful as people think it is. Worst case scenario, you knock out a cities power for a week or two tops. EMP creates a window of opportunity for the real attack, it itself, is not the real attack. The only large scale emp that is known right now is a byproduct of a nuclear explosion; which would have a much more severe repercussion.
edit on 15-7-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SRPrime

Cool, if you are in some societal collapse situation I hope your gold serves you well and I wish you the best.
If you come round my place wanting eggs, chicken, or a kilo of potatoes and can only trade with gold I'll tell you to # off.
Shotgun cartridges, medicines, alcohol, or tobacco products we may have a deal, but gold no, move along.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

You keep repeating the same thing. I won't be anywhere near you so whatever you might think means nothing to me.

Even if I were I wouldn't need to try to barter gold for anything you might have. Quit force fitting things just to fit your opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Why are you giving it all the 'prove you wrong' thing, this is a hypothetical discussion. You value gold in a hypothetical situation where everyone is hungry and I don't.

Because you argue like it is even possible when it isn't and then push your conclusion into the mouths of everyone around the world.

Are you desperate to be 'right' about this imaginary situation or something.
If we had a temporary or even long term hunger situation and you wanted one of my hens in exchange for a lump of gold I'd tell you to # off.

So, someone else might not.

You can hoard your gold as much as you like, I'll eat my eggs and chickens. Now again, shotgun cartrides, alcohol, tobacco products, medicines, we might have a deal, but you can keep your gold.

The same old tired mantra. You are the one with your fingers in your ears saying, "no, no, no" in an effort to be right.

It is my opinion, you have yours, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' in this hypothetical situation outlined, but you are desperate to be 'right' for some reason. Keep your gold, I don't want it, what the # can you tell me is wrong about that?

I have said it a few times, it is just your opinion. Things have value depending on peoples opinion and not everyone shares your opinion. Is that so hard to understand?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Quit sharing your opininion while whining about how I'm sharing mine.
Attack the topic, not the person.
You can keep your gold as I've said, I don't want it, but if you want eggs, meat, or laying hens from me you can # off if all you have to trade is crap gold lol.
I'll take shotgun cartridges though, 5 for one egg.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Quit sharing your opininion while whining about how I'm sharing mine.

All I'm doing is just pointing out that both are nothing more than opinions.

Attack the topic, not the person.

I have. First the improbability of the scenario and know you opinion of what might happen afterwards.

You can keep your gold as I've said, I don't want it, but if you want eggs, meat, or laying hens from me you can # off if all you have to trade is crap gold lol.
I'll take shotgun cartridges though, 5 for one egg.

I'm not asking you for anything. Why do you keep showing me the menu?

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Well, unless someone wants it and it contains value...

Gold is the most malleable of all metals, one ounce can be pounded-out to about 225 ft^2, and..

That can make a lot of hats to sell/trade/barter

mg

edit on 15-7-2017 by missed_gear because: phone

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Again, keep your gold because I'll tell you to # off off if you want one of my hens.
I'm pleased you like your gold, but you can't eat it lol.

posted on Jul, 15 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

Cool, keep it, because if you approach me asking to trade it for food I'll tell you to # off.
I'll take shotgun cartriges, alcohol, tobacco products and medicines perhaps, but gold, # off.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join