It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What use is gold in say an EMP strike?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: InceyWincey

Before attempting to discuss tradeable commodities....
Do you have any figures for how many EMP bursts or EMP weapons needed to bring Britain to a standstill? What enemy countries of Britain have these capabilities?
What size area would be affected?

We are talking about sci-fi or facts?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I just thought of something that really would suck in an EMP event: My chainsaws

Huh? Who uses an electric chainsaw? Or am I missing something?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I will gladly trade a gallon of water, 10lbs of rice, and 50rounds of ammo for a 400 oz gold bar...I 'll do it right now, and anytime in any future.

Why? Because I want it. But that deal is first come first served. I only need one. So all those people saying they don't need their gold, pm me.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What bothers me is the amount of value people are placing on electricity. I personally fell that life would change for the better without it.

I guess the use of electricity in today's society has made it possible for much larger population to exist. Without this electricity, society will adjust. I don't think it will be an end of the world event. Electricity isn't that important...

If I was a robot, I guess I'd value it more.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

You're not making sense - you think that gold will be useless and yet ordinary coins with no intrinsic value will somehow be traded for food and water?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

hahaha - this is getting good

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

hahaha - what? nah- you dont mean that, or do you?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

On-topic, your gold won't buy a can of chicken soup off me if you're starving though, you can # off with it.

What if I have 2 cans of soup and give you one for a pound of gold, knowing (but you dont) that Jack around the corner has 100 cans of soup and is willing to sell me 10 cans of soup for 1/10 of a pound of gold....

See, there are other ways of surviving off gold that you haven't even thought through yet. Its not my fault you aren't willing to give a clearer opening post, keep changing how powerful this EMP is, or how much of the world will be affected by it.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
DP
edit on 30-6-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

WTF - you're the one who tries to shut down people when they bring ideas up that show you haven't really invested much thought into your op....

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

You might want to reread your first OP and see how you are contradicting yourself

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

But if Daskakik has a bit of gold to spare he could pay 2 people to hunt you down for your backpack and share it with them.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Your opening post was about an EMP strike implying a weapon, now its a sustained solar event?

Everything I've ever read tells me it 'could' happen given the right circumstances.

WHat an EMP strike or solar flare?

this is purely a question and I'm just interested in why people think it's worth spending their money on gold instead of Morphine, Codeine, Antibiotics, alcohol, or tobacco

Which pharmacy in Britain sells morphine over the counter to you.....LOL

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

In a historical context gold is scarcer than water and easily tradeable by weight to volume compared to water. Plus its easier to create water out of thin air (condensation) than gold

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
Im not against making s large as groups as possible. But you need to realistically understand what it takes to keep a random large group together, that is force! Threat of violence is actually what keeps civilization civilized. Think about how many people would try to rob banks if they had zero fear to believe somebody would show up with the unlimited manpower that is state law enforcement and the force that goes with that?

Its the same principal in the apocalypse, but it tends to be a bit more crude. Such as hangings or firing squads for people who try to usurp the power of the leader(s) of such a group. You could always work on jails, but unless you are already in the hundreds of loyal armed supporters, jail would only give a violator time to build their resentment and rage as they plot against you and seek allies to challenge your authority.

I hate to burst your bubble, but ANYONE showing up to my planned area of operation will be warned once to move on before I fire on their position, fighting age males, crying teenagers and elderlies included. Anybody can grab an old person or child and have them put on a Hollywood show for you to let your guard down. One warning, and then they are added to the wall of heads mounted on pikes.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Which pharmacy in Britain sells morphine over the counter to you.....LOL

I'm sorry, I haven't the time to address your barrage of posts at me in this page, so I'll just reply to this. I made no mention of any pharmacy in Britain which will sell citizens morphine over the counter, we both know they don't do that.
However, Oramorph, antibiotics, and any number of prescription medicines are easlily and quickly available to me locally, just not purchased from a pharmacy.
Heroin isn't sold in stores but is just as easy to buy.

If you only want to argue how I set out my OP, that's cool, but to keep banging on at me would be just trolling now, you have made your points multiple times.
I'm just interested in the perceived value of gold compared to medicines etc in the event of some total societal collapse. Other people get my general point and I've enjoyed interesting discussion. If all you want to do is repeat that EMP's are local, solar events will never cause it etc, then okay, I won't argue with you, but keeping on at me is a bit unnecessary

My main point is the value of gold when food and medicine distribution systems break down etc, no electricity to pump fuel for trucks, all the other unfortunate results of such a hypothetical scenario.
If you don't want to discuss the general point then you don't have to bombard me with replies, honestly, just ignore my silly thread maybe?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Firstly you have been bombarding your own thread with thoughts not well thought out and criticize members when you keep changing the goalposts

I made no mention of any pharmacy in Britain which will sell citizens morphine over the counter, we both know they don't do that.

again these are your words from the first page...

this is purely a question and I'm just interested in why people think it's worth spending their money on gold instead of Morphine, Codeine, Antibiotics, alcohol, or tobacco

"spending" money on gold rather than morphine means buying in my understanding of English. Why are you dishonest?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

If you only want to argue how I set out my OP, that's cool, but to keep banging on at me would be just trolling now, you have made your points multiple times

I'm responding to your posts in sequence - do you want a discussion or an echo chamber? I'm not arguing how you set out your post or structure - I'm honestly trying to see and respond in a discussion.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Where is the dishonesty? I can go out right now and come home with quickly with Oramorph, antibiotics and any number of prescription medicines. This would be bought from people who do not operate regular licensed stores. Same kind of people who would sell me heroin.
Do heroin users not buy their heroin, or do you think it is given away free?

And why are you attacking me the person? I've been honest so the dishonesty slur is again unnecessary.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

well that maybe the case but if there is strength in a leader you dont need violence to keep order , you keep order through being lawful and good and bringing hope to others amngst adversity and almost certain doom. A beacon of light shines brightly enough for people to flock to .

Again im an optimist , I think isolation of a group would work the best , finding an isolated spot far away from most societal dwellings would ensure a groups safety from other groups who were more aggresive in nature.

As for the EMP , would a Faraday cage work to block an EMP ?
that would be a good way of protecting your electronic equipment

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join