It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What use is gold in say an EMP strike?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
Man, you are giving humans who no longer have a massive state establishment keeping order behind them too much credit. Don't be naive. Kind do gooders and naivety will get you killed by those who believe they can do better. That crying suffering person who you will sympathetically allow in is a trap waiting to bite you in the ass.

You cannot just bring together hundreds or even dozens of random individuls in a lawless society and think it will work with kind words and idealism without force.

Every leader in Earth's history is able to lead due to threat of force. What happens when a leader today is confronted over their leadership?? Force keeps them there. It is the same throughout history. He who hesitates to utilize force when challenged, will be himself replaced by force. If you appear weak, stronger people will gain the support of your followers. Then they come for you.

If you are not an absolute merciless killing machine in the beginning of apocalypse, people around you will die early. It is not until loved ones are lost to those who take advantage of kindness that the realization of the necessity of force is understood by those who have too much faith in the good nature of humanity. Without law and order, people revert to the animals they are quite instantly. This will apply just as much to small rural communities as it will in an urban center.

Wishing and what if's about working together does not change the fact that some people just want to harm others no matter if they had everything in the world already given to them. That is the nature of free will.
edit on 6-30-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notably0ffbeat
I will gladly trade a gallon of water, 10lbs of rice, and 50rounds of ammo for a 400 oz gold bar...I 'll do it right now, and anytime in any future.

Why? Because I want it. But that deal is first come first served. I only need one. So all those people saying they don't need their gold, pm me.

I don't think you are getting it.

I need gold now. I won't give one f#$K about it if I am struggling day to day to survive.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: nightbringr

But if Daskakik has a bit of gold to spare he could pay 2 people to hunt you down for your backpack and share it with them.

No. Because people will request food, water and other goods to hunt me. Or simply hunt me because I have those. Gold will hold little value to them as well.

You really aren't putting thought into this at all.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

Actually you are not putting any thought into this.

A bit of gold stored away in the chance that things don't get as bad as the OP proposes, and the chances are that it wont, is also a good idea.

Like anything else in a BOB, if it becomes a burden it gets dropped, or at least stashed somewhere.
edit on 30-6-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If you plan is to run away from society and live in the wilderness, then maybe yes gold will be irrelevant to you. Most people are going to stay right where the warlords want them, under threat of force to keep producing. In those environments, gold will be much more relevant, as the establishment of a structured society will require technology to advance. Gold is a technology asset, both for primitive and high technology.

There is no modern world without gold, and especially more so copper.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Actually you are not putting any thought into this.

A bit of gold stored away in the chance that things don't get as bad as the OP proposes, and the chances are that it wont, is also a good idea.

Like anything else in a BOB, if it becomes a burden it gets dropped, or at least stashed somewhere.

I'm assuming the worst.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I won't risk my life in the hopes that 'things will get better '.

edit on 30-6-2017 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
If you plan is to run away from society and live in the wilderness, then maybe yes gold will be irrelevant to you. Most people are going to stay right where the warlords want them, under threat of force to keep producing. In those environments, gold will be much more relevant, as the establishment of a structured society will require technology to advance. Gold is a technology asset, both for primitive and high technology.

There is no modern world without gold, and especially more so copper.

Stay in a city with a million plus people when the SHTF?

No thank you.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Well unless you grew up a hunter, majority of people who leave the cities will die. Thats why I plan on staying. The ignorant masses will migrate to their own doom in the wilderness, knowing zero bout how to catch game, let alone skin it, gut it, clean it up, and cook it properly. #, in Florida lots of people will end up getting ate by gators or drown themselves due to unbearable mosquito plagues that pop up after rain.

Chicken, goats, rabbit, and Muscovi ducks are easy to cultivate on a small city plot. Some of us are already doing this, in the city.
edit on 6-30-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I'm assuming the worst.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I won't risk my life in the hopes that 'things will get better '.

Prepping is about being ready for as many different situations as possible. Say it is a local thing like civil war or genocide and you are in the targeted group? A couple gold coins would work as a bribe to get border guards to look the other way. Water and spam ain't going to cut it.

Keeping a few gold coins in your BOB is not risking your life. You are being purposefully obtuse.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I'm assuming the worst.

Prepping is about being ready for as many different situations as possible. Say it is a local thing like civil war or genocide and you are in the targeted group? A couple gold coins would work as a bribe to get border guards to look the other way. Water and spam ain't going to cut it.

Keeping a few gold coins in your BOB is not risking your life. You are being purposefully obtuse.

I'm not.

When everything you own is on your back, space is at a premium. Gold coins will take up a spot that could hold a book of matches that can start a fire to keep me from freezing. And those people you are bribing are also at risk of starving, therefore yes, a can of spam will hold much greater value to them as well.

I don't think you are grasping the realities of survival of the fittest. Hell, id even take two 9mil shells over those two coins of yours.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Well unless you grew up a hunter, majority of people who leave the cities will die. Thats why I plan on staying. The ignorant masses will migrate to their own doom in the wilderness, knowing zero bout how to catch game, let alone skin it, gut it, clean it up, and cook it properly. #, in Florida lots of people will end up getting ate by gators or drown themselves due to unbearable mosquito plagues that pop up after rain.

Chicken, goats, rabbit, and Muscovi ducks are easy to cultivate on a small city plot. Some of us are already doing this, in the city.

I live in the coldest city in the world with over half a million people.

Staying in the city will be a guaranteed death sentence for everyone come winter. Anything combustible will be burnt off within weeks, if not days to prevent the masses ftom freezing to death. The moment that's gone, everyone would turn on each other, ripping down houses for firewood.

Our chances in the woods wouldn't be much better. People will search it smoke plumes, as they will man fire and warmth, and possibly food. Those burning said fires better be very well armed indeed.

Lucky, I'm very well armed.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I'm not.

Yes you are,

When everything you own is on your back, space is at a premium. Gold coins will take up a spot that could hold a book of matches that can start a fire to keep me from freezing. And those people you are bribing are also at risk of starving, therefore yes, a can of spam will hold much greater value to them as well.

You are not taking into account all the variables.

In the scenario I posted there is no total collapse. Just you needing to get out of that country. Money, not gold but regular currency, is still valid. You can buy food and water at any place during your trip to the border.

The guards controlling flow out of your country and into theirs are not at risk of starving so a can of spam means nothing to them.

I don't think you are grasping the realities of survival of the fittest. Hell, id even take two 9mil shells over those two coins of yours.

It all comes down to individual situations. You are preparing for just one, which probably will never come.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I'm not.

Yes you are,

You are not taking into account all the variables.

In the scenario I posted there is no total collapse. Just you needing to get out of that country. Money, not gold but regular currency, is still valid. You can buy food and water at any place during your trip to the border.

The guards controlling flow out of your country and into theirs are not at risk of starving so a can of spam means nothing to them.

It all comes down to individual situations. You are preparing for just one, which probably will never come.

Fair enough. I was responding to the OPs scenario, total economic and societal collapse.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

That is why I said:

Prepping is about being ready for as many different situations as possible.

Meaning that even if though the thread is about total economic and societal collapse a survivalist has to also think about other things.

It's also very specific to the situation and something like gold can have its usefulness in quite a few of them.

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Security will be number 1

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Always remember that the more skills you have

posted on Jul, 1 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Oh yes the cold will certainly be a genocidal killer. But I would imagine insulated buildings full of the same supplies that already keep people warm today would function better than open wilderness. Thats why I enjoy living in Florida. It gets below 50 degrees F for about a grand total of 18 days scattered through the December - February months. I think in a scenario like the ops, at least 20% of the population would have passed away in the first six months. Equally as much from starvation, exposure, and disease as people offing each other over meager resources.

If you have picked the right neighborhood in the city which is strategically located, one could generate a nice hefty pile of bodies of unwanted intruders, which would make quite a nice demoralizing effect when lined up on pikes leading into the streets into the blocks. Especially with signs that say "thank you for your consideration by making the choice to add to our wall, if you choose to commit to join the others you see on display, continue on your current path! Enjoy!"

I got multiple contingencies involving at least 3 states and supplies in each one. Im totally good. Hopefully I never have to go through with any of them in our lifetime. The end of law enforcement institutions will mean the rise of the psychotics, and a very catastrophic time in human history. Lets prey it never happens.

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   

and you ignored that Dask would share his gold and your food with them - the art of negotiation - you're ignoring the simpler solution; win-win

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
like anything - gold is only usefull in certain circumstances

the " senario " depected in blackout contains such circumstances

but i will repeat myself - aquiring hoirdes of gold AFTER an catostrophic event with no end in site - is going to acheive what exactly ????

take the movie the road - how is sawping ANY of his possesions for gold going to assist " man " - played by Viggo Mortensen ??????????????????

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Nobody is going to trade Viggo gold for the meager # he has. He should have planned better and hoarded gold before, then he could have established the basis of a new economy in a localized community wit others instead of killing me with boredness for the duration of that #fest of a movie.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join