It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bearded man

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I have a long beard, but I keep it clean, and under proper control. While it is true that food does become lodged in it during either a meal, or a food fight, it is the work of but a moment or two in the bathroom to clean that stuff out.

As for the... other matters you raise, I have had a beard for longer than I have been sexually active, and not once, not one single time, has any negative statement been made about it, by a partner of mine. You may find this surprising, but some actually appreciate a beard, both aesthetically speaking, and in terms of sensation. I shower daily, sometimes twice if it is warm out, and clean my beard with the same attention that I clean my hair. You might assume that this adds valuable time to my cleansing routine, but I can be in and out of the shower before ten minutes have elapsed with ease, having completed all necessary cleaning functions on both my head hair, my face hair, and all the other places a body needs attention in the shower.

So really and honestly, it comes down to a matter of taste. If you do not like beards, do not have one. However, there are those who enjoy having one, and those who enjoy the way they look. Different folks, for different strokes.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
BEARD CONTEST!

Long with no hair:

Kinda long with hair:

Short with hair:

No beard:

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: intrptr

Practically speaking facial jar is required if you live outdoors for any length of time.

hm..havent thought of that one...but I guess you're right there.

Keeps you warm and keeps the bugs off

exia says it keeps him cool under there

edit:

in any case...this is a good reason for having one.

Don't forget warm in the winter. Oh, and chicks dig it.

Who would ever think of trimming the Lions or Stallions Mane. It is their sign of strength (and the chicks dig it).
edit on 27-6-2017 by intrptr because: change

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
a reply to: eXia7

Oh, and chicks dig it.

well...it appears that some do indeed. Having in mind how women are more concerned with personal hygiene...it makes me even more curious on the whole thing.

I cant make myself steer clear of the conclusion I made in the OP...that it's about some alpha thing...considering how there is a certain "i'm a man...look I have a beard" context...to which...naturally some women respond to on an instinctive level.

I know what you are saying. Hipsters have ruined the beard image imo. I didn't grow a beard to make a statement, or to appear "more alpha" I just grew a beard cuz I felt like a change. My beard isn't really long though. So it doesn't really interfere with my normal life. hell i don't think its even an inch long tbh. I prefer to keep it nice and tight
edit on 6/27/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You may find this surprising, but some actually appreciate a beard, both aesthetically speaking, and in terms of sensation.

I do find it surprising...but this thread has already proven to me that obviously some women like it.

You might assume that this adds valuable time to my cleansing routine, but I can be in and out of the shower before ten minutes have elapsed with ease, having completed all necessary cleaning functions on both my head hair, my face hair, and all the other places a body needs attention in the shower.

That one I dont get...are you always in a mood or have the time to do the personal hygiene bit ? While you're out with mates, stopping for a quick fast food bite..or at work...having a noon meal...can you really ? Anywhere....anytime ?

If you do not like beards, do not have one. However, there are those who enjoy having one, and those who enjoy the way they look. Different folks, for different strokes.

I dont have one. The thread was more out of curiosity...to understand the motives.

I appreciate your input...thanks.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

LOL man...you look really dangerous without the beard, I must say.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
One minor issue is when you shed a few hairs from your clean well groomed longish beard ...

They can be percieved as pubes ...

I know the way out.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Over here in good ol' Blighty, the hipsters are really going to town and making beards oh so erm erm hip! Barely out of school and teens abound with fluffy chins and fake glasses (for whatever reason) espadrilles no socks and waistcoats with jeans. I like a beard but I have found that most men I've met with one just don't take care of it, it just grows and grows like a large hedge and then I read that the average man's beard contains more germs than a toilet bowl, so I started making beard oils beard shampoos & tache waxes which have gone down a storm....but only it seems with gay men!! Who seem to take far more care over their appearance than most other bearded gents who felt it was unecessary and unmanly so I generally avoid the bearded guy nowadays (or they avoid me dunno
)

However if one of these guys showed an interest in this old lady, I think I could change my mind !

But despite the "sensation" possiblities...think I'd have to draw the line at this.....unless extremely drunk or curiosity got the better of me

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I know the way out.

no need man. Stay....tell us more

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I just cant get over it...for instance...that guy in a leather jacket...3rd pic...wouldnt he look better without it ? Seeing how he's good looking and all...the beard hides most of his best features.

Also...just thought of one more potential issue...sneezing. How do you really manage it ? If you catch a cold...you might be sneezing every few minutes. I would imagine that plenty of that stuff that gets out from within you...ends up deep in the beard, no ?

I doubt that wiping it with a handkerchief will do the job...

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Think unchecked food preparation.

My 20 year old son has never seen me without a full beard ( besides photo albums ) !

I grew mine for the hell of it and have saved possibly weeks of time spent shaving.

Scissors and a neck shave have it sorted.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

so you s(h)aved time on shaving...

But what about extra hygiene I presume you do ? or dont you ?

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

With regard to "being in the mood", it does not really matter what ones mood is. Even when one is in low spirits, one must at least attend to ones hygiene. I am not suggesting that one ought preen and pamper oneself, as some modern males might, with their tanning beds and chest waxing. Far from it.

However, basic hygiene is crucial, not for appearances, but to prevent disease of skin, the build up of grease, bacteria and other unhelpful things. I do not mind having split ends in my hair, for example, but I do absolutely insist that my hair be clean. I do not mind having the sweat of a working day build up over the course of hours, but I object entirely to having sleep sweat still on me whilst I work.

As for sorting myself out on the fly, so to speak, its perfectly simple. If I am eating out with friends, on the rare occasion, or eating at a friends place, I will excuse myself once consumption has ceased, rinse out my beard and moustache, as well as running a tissue or kerchief around my face, to ensure that any truly errant drops of sauce, or particles of food, have been cleared entirely away. This prevents grease from the food or sauce, from adhering to the skin and entering the pores. This process takes mere seconds. Once the evenings or afternoons activities are complete, I will shower in the evening to ensure that any small residue that these on the fly tidying methods may have missed, is banished before I sleep.

In the grand scheme of things, the time these little things take are as nothing whatsoever. Many men in this era take far longer to preen and pluck and shave their faces, than I do to make a bloody good job of simply looking after myself.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

That can be an issue if you are caught unprepared,
simple - carry a handkerchief or tissues.

Same as if you don't have a beard, you should refrain from hitting someone in the back of the head with a viscous sneeze.

Tissues save lives.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Just more to shampoo and condition.

I don't put a treatment through it though, nor hot oil.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I get lots of compliments, I take care of it too, plus no food scraps in this doo.

My wife also likes it - and that is all that really matters (to me)

I'm over the #in social fashion-parade charade - I come as is - warts n' all.

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I was waiting for your mug to appear !

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
No offense to the OP but I have often wondered why people without beards care ? And this is not even directed at the OP but to others in this thread that continue to claim beards are dirty and saying we need to shave .

These threads have popped up a time or two or I have been asked a few times in person through the years .

There are always a few that claim beards are dirty , when it is all about the person not the beard . I am almost obessed with the cleanliness and health of my beard . I do not spend hours on it though , I am out the shower , dressed and ready to go quicker than those who shave every day .

I find shaving unnatural and I hate it . I work out doors so my beard is warm in the Winter and natural sunscreen in the Summer .

I dont "eat" moustache hair because a little natural beeswax keeps it out of mouth during meal time .

When men and women put all these crap chemicals and unnatural sprays , waxes , pomades , conditioners and shampoos in their hair that trap dust , dirt and pollen , my beard wash is all organic and natural . Yet it is my beard that is dirty ?

I have seen dirty beards , but those are people who do not take care of their hygiene properly to begin with .
edit on 27-6-2017 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
-William Shakespeare

To each his own I imagine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join