It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The employment process today BLOWS and I'm about to lose it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Have you thought about law enforcement? From road patrol to dispatch to records keeping. Its not the best paying job but most LE jobs have good benefits.

Don't give up, and Good Luck!

No way. I would never work in law enforcement. Not my thing at all. I have looked at dispatch jobs but I can't work overnight. I'm a single mom!

Thanks! I won't! I am grumpy this morning which prompted the rant here. I vent in the rant forum when needed and I was ready to blow this morning. It's very boring and frustrating when you wake up at 5am and spend 5 hours just applying for jobs and maybe hear back from less than half. I did get a call while I was typing a reply from a credit union and I have an interview Thursday. I am keeping my fingers crossed! I love smaller banks, big corporate banks can sink for all I care. I actually enjoy helping people and the big ones don't allow that it's all about sales! The local banks don't have sales goals and pushy sales tactics. So I am hoping one will hire me this week and I can breathe a sigh of relief! I

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

We have just one where i live and I am signed up through them. The few times i did hear from them I couldn't do the job because I can't work past 7pm. It's frustrating. You can't go to their offices for anything unless you have a job from them. I am one of those who will go in and ask for management and offer my resume but after so many times being shot down or told to go online I just stopped because that practice is no more!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Perhaps we can help.
What city / state do you live?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Im coming to kidnap you lol ive told you this before outside of ats yes i know but your son shhhhhhhh he's coming too
edit on 19-6-2017 by MissCoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissCoyote
Those "observations" should be illegal. Especially since its free labor.

Oh yea when I did he first two interviews and she said the next step was a 4 hour observation unpaid I had to bite my damn tongue! I was like are you kidding me? I think my resume clearly states I can handle this job! I mean I have worked in banking for two major banks. I could run circles around those chicks in the cash advance places. After the observation she said do you think you could do this? I said of course. She then said well we would love to have you and the next step would be an email job offer. I was thinking seriously don't people CALL anymore?! Oh then she made a comment about me wearing heels and how it would be hard to stand all day. I shut her down quickly. I wore heels all day at BOA and didn't sit. Heels are not an issue. I was thinking to myself wow these people have no idea what working for a bank it like especially BOA! I was the only damn teller for months and I had to count night drop and do massive McDonald's bags along with CTR's and huge coin orders ALL while helping people in line! It's called multitasking and it's a skill I am good at! I honestly prefer it lol

So we shall see! I have an interview today at 2pm with a credit union, one on Thursday (they called this morning, see FB for that haha) and a second one on Friday with another local bank. I swear one better hire me! I can handle a small bank. I laugh because they have like 3-4 tellers at these smaller banks. I have never worked with that many hahaha! I WAS the only teller so yea I can definitely handle the smaller banks. It's less stress and no corporate BS!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissCoyote
Im coming to kidnap you lol ive told you this before outside of ats yes i know but your son shhhhhhhh he's coming too

Hey you are in one of my favorite states. I am sure Crystal would help kidnap me! HAHA!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I do not want to give my location out on here. Sorry. I am in Florida though.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Hey op. Not what you want to hear but go to a temp service. 10 dollar an hour jobs for sure. Not going to be what you want but it will get some income coming in.
Waitress would be another. Don't have to be long term. Just get some cash rolling in while you look.
#in hit taco bell. Starts at 9 bucks. Better than no bucks. I recently went back to a job I left but when I left I went to a pizza shop just to get something going now. Did that for couple weeks and found something a little better. Did that for couple months and me and my previous worked it out.
Don't discount good service. From fast food to higher end. Always jobs in that area.
They suck but they are jobs. I'm just not a good service guy.
Good luck

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I am signed up with a temp agency and what they offer I can't take because I can't work at night past 7.

Also I have applied at ALL local fast food places. Dunkin Donuts told me I was overqualified. I was quite annoyed. Think about it, these people see my resume come up and my last job paid me $15/hr and all my experience prior to that is similar. They are going to wonder why I am applying there for less money. I had a friend try and get me a job at McDonalds but they wanted the fresh out of HS crowd! It's very frustrating. I am not picky about where i work right now I just want a job. The state I am in SUCKS for jobs and it gets worse by the year.

I actually had someone suggest i dumb down my resume. I don't even have a degree just years of experience in banking and customer service jobs.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sorry you are going through this. Best of luck finding work. It is hard as hell. We had it real bad 2 years ago. Very bad. Ended up having to move out of state for work, but it was worth it. The stress is awful, especially when you have a little one to take care of. Keep your chin up girl.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I applaud your resilience, and sticking to the hunt for a new job. Everyone knows it is tough. However, allow me to make a suggestion. Since you are not finding a job in the banking industry as a whole. STOP looking there, since there is nothing there for you. Start looking elsewhere. It is a pain in the a--, I know. But what do you have to loose at this point. How about even working for a temp agency?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
a reply to: Mikehawk

Oh you made me cry! Thank you! That was really sweet of you.

It's not easy to be positive happy go lucky me like i use to be! It's even harder now that I am a mom. It's not just me i need to look after.

I appreciate your kind words and EMPATHY!

Reading your OP brought back so many memories. I've been in similar situations and know how hopeless it can all feel. It was a real bummer to scroll down a few posts and see people attacking you while you're obviously not in the mood for it, some people just have no common sense.

I've seen some decent suggestions in this thread and can tell that even though you are down about your situation you still have not given up, and that is the important part. Try to keep your head up. A lot of people may have called it quits by now.

I honestly wish I had more to offer, please take care.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

When applying to jobs that pay less like mcdonalds or whatever it is you shouldnt show all your qualifications..

Being over qualified means you wont like the job. Now mind.. You specifically might not k8nd washing dishes fir 9$/hr but if you tell them you used to make 15$/hr you look like a waste of time. They will have to rehire within the month is their thought.

Ive had trouble getting hired in the past. I dont do applications anymore. I just talk to people. And i use craigslist.. the email is my "cover letter" and attatched is my resume.. i write one or two paragraphs and caboom i can send 10 of thise off in an hour.

I got drunk one night woke up the next morning with a college asking me to come fill out paperwork.. best bkack out ever..

But yea i spent well i dont know how long but not long i imagine drunkenly enailing.. next day im being trained at a job where i fed the basketball team who won the NCAA championship this year.

For whatever reason craigslist always wirks faster and easier for me. Although fair warning.. i did accidentally work under DHS in some weird backward way contracted through a tech company..

I wishes yous the bests of lucks.
Go get em gurl.

edit on 19-6-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I have another idea, do you have any experience with chemistry? I have a used RV I can sell you...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I have another idea, do you have any experience with chemistry? I have a used RV I can sell you...

Ooohhh she could make medicine.

You are terrible good sir..

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Have you tried fast food and basic retail? They don't pay well but they offer the opportunity for advancement if you stick around. I know it's not ideal but you no job should be beneath you especially if you have a child. Availability is key though, it's hard to even get into fast food if you are demanding a mon-fri 9-5 type schedule. You may need to be more flexible with your availability. I hope everything works out for you!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

First of all, you are NOT a failure. Failures never get frustrated over a "silly thing" like lack of progress.

Next, you are far too intelligent to be working for $10 or $15 an hour.

I don't know what your education level is, but continuing to upgrade that is always a good thing. File that one away. I know that doesn't help you right now...

I see that you rely on your mom for help with your child, so I won't recommend that you consider relocation.

Have you ever thought about starting your own business? There are SBA Express loans that are fairly easy to get. They aren't much -- I think they max out at $50k, but you can designate a certain percentage of the loan for "overhead" (i.e. paying yourself a salary so you can pay your bills). I don't think you need much in the way of capital, but you probably need a credit score in the "fair" range (620+).

Many of these "loans" are doled out by local small business development NPO's who will give you business counselling and walk you through the process. I don't think this is a lengthy process. SBA programs kind of follow the business and commercial banking model, which as you probably know, works quite differently from the consumer banking most people are familiar with.

You have to have a bullet-proof business plan. This is pretty easy to do. All you have to do is answer the questions YOU would ask someone borrowing money from you. There are sample business plans available online.

There are billions in SBA and NPO loans and grants that go unused every year. Some of these programs are targeted to specific things and to a certain demographic. Exports, for example. Being a single mother might work to your advantage as well.

I am convinced that the best way to get ahead in life is to work for yourself and build a business. It's twice the work, and when you start out you are basically doing crisis management 24/7, but your schedule is your own, and if you can power through the tough times -- which you seem to be doing right now anyway, you will have a personal freedom and the potential for financial independence that you will never have working for someone else.

Finally, you'll be fine. My advice at this point is, IF YOU CAN, take a couple days off right now. Step back and clear your head for the next 48 hours. Don't think about your situation, bills, work, life... Break the pattern you're in now and do something positive and fun that you would normally never do.

Then get up Wednesday morning, and stomp this thing like a bug!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I hired on at a temp agency many years ago, when I was in your situation. That was in spring. By fall I'd been hired in my chosen career.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do things you don't want to do to get where you're going.

ETA, I picked up a number of valuable skills while with the temp agency.
edit on 6/19/2017 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I'm so sorry you're going through this. No one should have to worry about their basic needs -- food, shelter and utilities -- being met. Especially in this day and age.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Good point. Dumb it down.
Hit the fast food and restaurants and make it look like you worked in that industry a while ago and stopped to be a stay at home mom. Now you need to get back to work. Husband left or died or whatever. Work the bull# then do some real applications.
Wal mart. Target. Good lion. Publix. Winn dixie
Try for cashier or deli.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join