It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The employment process today BLOWS and I'm about to lose it.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

If the attitude you display here comes through in the interview process, no one is going to hire you. Why should they? You've got attitude pouring out of your pores. That spells "bad hire' to anyone trying to fill a position. They are looking for people who do not cause more problems than they solve.

TYPICAL reply from YOU! Why don't you go kick god damn rocks! I am so sick of YOUR negative attitude on here over the years. You are MEAN.

Don't be ridiculous. Your reply was predictable. The fact is that I am the only one that has given you a CLUE about what your issue is. You have no job skills to speak of, amiright? It's not like we're talking a masters in chemical engineering here. So what have you got? Only two things, related: attitude and work ethic. Other than that you have nothing worthwhile to offer, and you're already imposing "conditions." You can't work nights. You can't do this. You can't do that. Every single one of your conditions REDUCES the number of jobs you can get. YOU made the choices that put you in your position. You're a single Mom. Well how did that happen? You need to take responsibility for your actions and your attitude. Because it's patently obvious that if you even show a HINT of how you portray yourself on ATS, you'll never get a job. I'm mean? The world is mean. Nobody owes you a job. As yourself: Who would hire you?

Ya know.....sometimes things are just better kept to ones self.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Not trying to sound rude but I stumbled into your rant thread when I meaning to get to the NASA Mars pic and realized you started that one as well.

Maybe less time on ATS authoring threads and more time out face to face applying would improve your current situation.

I don't know your life story but I've found that waking up early and going to bed early, then being at businesses in person when they open, following up by asking for a managers contact info and calling them while they are hiring (or even if they are not) tends to stand out more than ranting on the internet.

Yes, the job situation sick I get it. But it is what it is, complaining and garnering sympathy will do nothing for you except fuel your belief that life isn't fair.

Life isn't fair, my wife was a single mom at 16 until I met her at 28. Her parents watched her daughter while she went to work everyday at a job she hated.

It can be done, just change your perspective and mix up your approach.

Good luck, I know you can do it too!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Yeah, I am about as angry as I can be with internet people right now.

Let me guess, these wise sages havent looked for a job in the last decade and did get their job right out of college that they didnt pay for through a plug, and havent actually had to perform with set goals above them for a while..

Amiright? Huh.

Ok, I need to go.

edit on 6 19 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret when it comes to getting a job these days. You can do it the way you've been trying so far. Filling out the applications like the rest of the herd. Then being judged and compared and ran through the system of hyper inspection and bias only to be told you're unworthy by some smiley faced employed person who doesn't give a damn about your situation. Or....

You can do the one and only thing that seems to get people jobs nowadays in this overpopulated and jobless society we live in. Which is use your contacts. All of them if needed and even their contacts when possible.

The way you get work these days is you have to know somebody on the inside already. Someone you know will know of a job that they can get you in on. You might just have to go through a few or most of them to get hooked up somewhere. But someone should know of a position that needs filled and that they can get you in or at least put you in a position where all you need to do is close the deal.

In fact the reason why all those applications aren't working is probably because someone else is doing that too and they are taking all those other jobs you've been applying for.

That's how it's done these days. You gotta know someone. Or know someone who knows someone, etc....

Otherwise you're just another piece of paper in the stack of faceless other people needing work.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Might be time to consider creating your own work. I did. I never have to worry about finding a "job" and its great.

mini-maid service. Courier Service. Uber? You can make good money by owning your own business in Florida (I know cuz i live here) doing work in the service industry.
edit on 6/19/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Do some gardening work in the meanwhile as your apply for jobs. It won't be much but will help pay some bills.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

If the attitude you display here comes through in the interview process, no one is going to hire you. Why should they? You've got attitude pouring out of your pores. That spells "bad hire' to anyone trying to fill a position. They are looking for people who do not cause more problems than they solve.

TYPICAL reply from YOU! Why don't you go kick god damn rocks! I am so sick of YOUR negative attitude on here over the years. You are MEAN.

Don't be ridiculous. Your reply was predictable. The fact is that I am the only one that has given you a CLUE about what your issue is. You have no job skills to speak of, amiright? It's not like we're talking a masters in chemical engineering here. So what have you got? Only two things, related: attitude and work ethic. Other than that you have nothing worthwhile to offer, and you're already imposing "conditions." You can't work nights. You can't do this. You can't do that. Every single one of your conditions REDUCES the number of jobs you can get. YOU made the choices that put you in your position. You're a single Mom. Well how did that happen? You need to take responsibility for your actions and your attitude. Because it's patently obvious that if you even show a HINT of how you portray yourself on ATS, you'll never get a job. I'm mean? The world is mean. Nobody owes you a job. As yourself: Who would hire you?

You have no justification for being a total jackass to someone while they're down. Karma has your f#ing number, bro.
edit on 6/19/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
CNA/NAC nursing positions always seem to be in demand. Where I am, though across the country, I've seen ads for $12.00 an hour.

Hope today goes well for you!

First of all that requires schooling and I in no way want to be either one of those.

Thank you! Around here in Florida those jobs are a dime a dozen because we have so many elderly. Many people do the classes because it's short and you can find a job. I can't handle my own blood and fluids let alone someone elses. I am not one to work in any kind of medical field. LOL I cringe at the thought!

I see your above reply to this one: Congratulations and best of luck!

Ah, okay though I'd also throw that out there for anyone looking for job help.

I know these jobs aren't for everyone but when you're in a dire situation in a rural area(does FL have any of those left haha, my aunt says no!) and that's all their is, sometimes gotta come to a compromise as I did. I didn't have to have schooling for an opening position, and mean to couldn't administer medications, etc, but could still be a caregiver. The reward was working with the person/s above all.

ps ex Floridian LOL
edit on 19-6-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I feel your pain, I went without any pay for 9 month, not even UI, in that whole time of sending out more resumes than I could count, I had ONLY 2 job interviews, one of which landed me the job.
The method for screening job applicants is brutal these days, in many cases it is totally automated and human eyes never even see your resume. Also you get pigeon holed into the industry you have the most experience in, no experience necessary we train you equals the lowest paying jobs out there.

All I can say is that I have heard some positive stories about people getting new jobs after Trump got elected, either getting a better job or just a job. Recently a guy related that after ICE picked up a bunch of people for deportation he was able to get their jobs, so there is that working for American citizens right now.

EDIT: Well congrats on finally getting something, the economy seems to be doing better now.

edit on 19-6-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I got the job offer and they offered me ASSISTANT MANAGER! Haha! Wasn't expecting that at all! Today has been the most insane day in many ways. It's more pay and I didn't apply for assistant manager but customer service. She asked me if I wouldn't mind assistant manager but I didn't think anything of it.

Whatever energy I put out this morning came back and fast! I'll take this job but I'm still pursuing the bank job. I like banking. It's better money, more room for advancement, paid tuition (BIG DEAL FOR ME) and the hours are more to my availability. With this job I was offered my mom will have to watch my son on Saturdays and twice a week at night til 7:30.

I have more interviews this week for different banks and start the new job Monday. I really want the position I interviewed for today. I want to work at a credit union and this is a very good one where I live. It's been around since the 60s. They are building a brand new location by me as well so they're still expanding! So I'm going to see where that goes but I'll take the job I was offered in case I don't hear anything.

I guess a good rant session does the job search wonders??? I can actually BREATHE right now!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Congrats Mblah!!!
May the force be with you.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I agree with others here the employment market is pretty bad now days. The jobs that are left, after many places closed up, went overseas, etc., are in the service sector. The problem with those is that people with degrees end up getting those jobs as opposed to what used to be H.S. kids to people with less work experience, really feel for them now days.

At this point as service sector jobs are beginning to dwindle, with the Baby Boomer Generation is in need of care, it's health care that is left in many places. As with my reply above, while there are a lot of entree jobs into the healthcare field-even minus classes- it's not for everyone, makes job searches more of a challenge.

a reply to: mOjOm

That's so true, with many places "It's not who you are, it's who you know."
edit on 19-6-2017 by dreamingawake because: ETA

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Haha there are some rural areas but not where I am. I would love rural!!! I like quiet vs fast paced!

I'm sorry but you're missing the point where these jobs REQUIRE licensing now which is an 18 month course. I am in no way going to waste my money that I don't have, on classes I have no desire doing. I am not in anyway interested in medical or any kind of caretaker position.

The problem with the line of thinking you have where people do this out of desperation is they suck at the job and end up abusing their clients. Elderly abuse is rampant here. When i worked at the bank I saw it a lot with elderly and their so called care takers. One was ARRESSTED for stealing another customers phone! If she is stealing from a random person in a bank then she is most definitely stealing from the old lady with dimentia she is taking care of. I can't stand people who abuse the elderly, weak, disabled or children! They're the lowest of the low.

Many people here take the classes because it's short, some can be done in 9 months even, they can get paid for grants and jobs are abundant. My friend is a CNA and she loves it but I could never do what she does. I admire people who do and enjoy it, the ones who are mean I hope they fall down a sink hole! Lol

You're lucky you're an ex Floridian! I'm waiting for the day I can be one! I want to move to Oregon badly!!! I'm not a Florida person even though I've been here 33 years of 38 on this planet! That's way too long to be here. 😂😂

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Congrats Mblah!!!
May the force be with you.

DRUMS!!!!!! Haha you made a Star Wars reference! You rock!

Thank you!! Yea I laughed in a hysterical manner when my day ended. It was like the twilight zone!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Yes, it is difficult to get "entry level" jobs, because everyone is after them.

The need, is to get money, one way to do that is get someone to pay you to do something.

You have tried one method....trying to get a Traditional jobs, like everyone else.

Maybe time to use that old cliche "Think outside the box".

Off the top of my head.......

As some posters suggest, look at some sort of business plan, that you may be able to receive a grant for.
ie, you expressed you skill at "doing up" your unit.......perhaps start a decorating or improving home business, interior painting, furniture locations etc.
ie, You have obvious cash handling and budgeting skills, perhaps start a business of home and business Bookeeping, helping people budget and organise finances, small business with their monthly finance reporting/taxes etc.
ie, You have parenting skills, and yes childcare is expensive...so how about start a business in which You look after other working parents children, in your own home with your child. Get parents to pay you hourly for child care...start small, who knows after??
ie, I am amazed at the number of C**p on the internet, especially these "Channels and blogs, and rants and with make up sessions etc etc etc" and they all seem to be millionaires!! I remember last year reading about a young Japanese girl, that all she does is opens brand new Disney toys and shows them with her hands.....no talking, just opening toys..and she makes something like 2 million$ per year. Incredible.
So, how about set up a blog, Webby, and FB sites for something like......"Working Mothers Unite" or "Working Mum of America and our life together", or "Working Mums in Todays World"...etc etc.
You have the experience and opinion, many young Mums may have similar ideas, or want some ideas or solutions etc or just a friendly ear.......As your site grows, you can attract sponsors, and advertisers ( baby stuff, Working stuff).
Maybe get 50K subscribers and you can start to lobby Congressmen and Govt to Working Mums issues...etc.

Just some Ideas off the top of my head.....but continuing chasing what everyone else is, is an exercise in frustration.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

a reply to: dreamingawake

Haha there are some rural areas but not where I am. I would love rural!!! I like quiet vs fast paced!

I'm sorry but you're missing the point where these jobs REQUIRE licensing now which is an 18 month course. I am in no way going to waste my money that I don't have, on classes I have no desire doing. I am not in anyway interested in medical or any kind of caretaker position.

The problem with the line of thinking you have where people do this out of desperation is they suck at the job and end up abusing their clients. Elderly abuse is rampant here. When i worked at the bank I saw it a lot with elderly and their so called care takers. One was ARRESSTED for stealing another customers phone! If she is stealing from a random person in a bank then she is most definitely stealing from the old lady with dimentia she is taking care of. I can't stand people who abuse the elderly, weak, disabled or children! They're the lowest of the low.

Many people here take the classes because it's short, some can be done in 9 months even, they can get paid for grants and jobs are abundant. My friend is a CNA and she loves it but I could never do what she does. I admire people who do and enjoy it, the ones who are mean I hope they fall down a sink hole! Lol

You're lucky you're an ex Floridian! I'm waiting for the day I can be one! I want to move to Oregon badly!!! I'm not a Florida person even though I've been here 33 years of 38 on this planet! That's way too long to be here. 😂😂

Yeah, I see that you're not interest but added additional info in case anyone is. My first nursing position it wasn't required that I had a NAC to start off with, maybe that's Idaho and Washington's differences to other places.

That is unfortunate with some people getting into nursing, and turning out to be like that.

The Northwest and Florida are night and day. Probably better to stick to the coasts, unless familiar with snow. I know I wasn't and ended up headfirst into below zero snow and dry heaving heat in the summer on the Eastern side. Oregon, is at least a little more mild than the surrounding states but Portland had more cold and snow this year(Columbia River winds) than Western Washington.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
I agree with others here the employment market is pretty bad now days. The jobs that are left, after many places closed up, went overseas, etc., are in the service sector. The problem with those is that people with degrees end up getting those jobs as opposed to what used to be H.S. kids to people with less work experience, really feel for them now days.

Oh it is sooooo different! So many places I worked are gone! Outsourced overseas! I made excellent money at those places too and they are all gone. Yup back in the day experience was preferred over a degree, now it's the other way around. Not everyone has the luxury of going to college. People say oh loans or grants and yea that's all great but no everyone can get loans or grants.

Prime example of degree vs experience. My former manage at Bank of Satan came from a damn pet store as a manager, a PET STORE! He had never worked in banking, ever, yet he got a job as financial center manager! He had NO IDEA what he was doing, customers hated him and he never took anything serious. He drove me insane! He was horrible. The other girl I worked with did HIS job and he took advantage of her because she knew everything. She ran CIRCLES around him yet every time she applied for a management position they shot her down! Why? She was too valuable on the teller side if you ask me. They didn't want her going anywhere. Yet here is this moron with zero banking experience but he's got a busjness degree and speaks Spanish so let's give him a bank to run! All he did was sit in the bank on his phone and crack jokes all day. I was soooo glad when he went to another location I had to hide my excitement when he said he was leaving. When I started in banking management positions were only given to people IN banking and you needed like 10 years of experience! Now it's clear you don't, just some degree and you can run a bank and not have a clue what you're doing!

At this point as service sector jobs are beginning to dwindle, with the Baby Boomer Generation is in need of care, it's health care that is left in many places. As with my reply above, while there are a lot of entree jobs into the healthcare field-even minus classes- it's not for everyone, makes job searches more of a challenge.

Yea there are tons of CNA job here but again I have no desire to do anything like that. I mentally couldn't do that job.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Just noticed you got the job.....Congratulation.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ManufacturedDissent

I haven't posted threads on ATS in years.i got a laptop recently and wanted to post again. So next! I wake up at 5 am every day and spend good part of my day filling out applications online. Ever heard of multitasking?! It's a skill many don't have. I however do and can write threads while applying for work and even do laundry and make a kick butt meal all by NOON!

Face to face applying is gone! You are sent to a website or told to contact HR. I know I've done it. You get nowhere now a days because of the hiring practices. I did get a job offer today and the lady while interviewing me talked about how the process has changed and you can't just go in like before and find work. I'm sure in some places it may be but not where I live. I got two jobs in the past just by being a regular customer! One was Barnes and Noble. I shopped there so much they offered me a seasonal job and I LOVED that job! I was working at my favorite bookstore and I got a discount! I tried to get a job there but they were not hiring. The other was a clothing store. The manager asked if I was working and I was part time at another store, he asked if I would be interested in a management position since I knew the store and was a great customer. I was shocked! I took it of course but that was 10 years ago! I literally didn't do anything to get those jobs. That's back when a paper application was used not the Internet.

Also this is the RANT forum. I'm ranting. Nothing more. It doesn't mean I'm like this in person. In fact I'm quite the opposite. I was frustrated this morning and needed to vent.

Well that's great for your wife but my mom works and she can't watch my son every day. Not everyone has that kind of help.

Where did I ask for sympathy? I'm ranting. That's it. I don't need any sympathy. I am allowed to feel this way. I've busted my butt on my own the last 2 and a half years. It is not easy when you have nobody but yourself to rely on. My family doesn't have money nor are they able to help with my son on a whim, they all work! Everyone's situation is different. What may work for you may not work for another..

Thanks for the luck!! I did get a job today lol but I am still gonna purse the bank jobs I want especially the one i interviewed for today. So fingers crossed!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Haven't read all the pages, but in the past for myself, the best luck I've had getting a job is by going through a temp agency. It's nice for a few reasons. A lot of their job are temp to perm. Temp agencies charge such a ridiculous amount to the companies you may work for, you often can get a quite decent starting wage if they hire on you on full time. It greatly benefits -them- if you get hired, so they will do everything they can to help you get those jobs, by updating your resume with you, etc. They scour for jobs, finding ones you may easily miss.

When I moved to Denver during the holidays some 19 or so years ago, there was literally only like.. 1 job I could find advertised in my field. I went to a temp agency thinking "ugh..", as I never had before. I had a job within a week. I was hired on full time in a month at a very decent wage. When I was laid off after almost 14 years (after several acquisitions and my new company selling out their IT to Mexico), it was again a temp agency that found me a position. And they were in Texas! After several years there (with again a very good starting wage), I was pulled into another company by someone I had known and worked with previous, who admired my work ethic and knowledge. So now I work as an IT manager for this other company.

But it was on the back of temp agencies. I highly recommend it for people who have been out of work for a long while, or just can't find a job. It's their livelihood to find you a job. Also make sure of course you have your resume out there on all sites. Only downside to that is I still get emails to this day, almost weekly, from wherever the heck my resume ended up (I plastered the sucker on every site possible).

Glad you found a job! Keep temp agencies in mind next time. : )

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join