It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How gravity really works

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Just wanted to put this out there, and let the chips fall where they may: www.youtube.com...

This is my little video with pictures illustrating how gravity of cosmic bodies warps spacetime, in 3D. I never liked the "balls on trampoline" analogy, found it confusing and innacurate. Using 2D suface, bending in 3D, with 3D balls on top of it, to illustrate the bending of 3D spacetime? No, thank you.

Why not illustrate the warped 3D spacetime like this?

Key point is that an object's gravity bends spacetime towards it, not around it.

Granted, this kind of visualisation makes it harder to explain how smaller bodies orbit the bigger ones, so that's where the trampoline analogy might still be useful. But this, in my opinion, is how the effect of gravity on spacetime should be visualised.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Flagg.....you are right, man

Way better presentation......cool

Now, I'm electric universe....meaning mass is resultant of the void in plasma.....gets into gravity big time
edit on 26-5-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Yeah. That's a better way to show it.

But the background music was awful.

I don't see the point in that music being played in the background.

Other than that it was a good example.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Nice video.

I have read many articles on space time and I can see what the people are trying to say. But in essence, there is no way we can yet know because we have no way yet of testing any of these hypothesis. So I will just say it is all interesting and I don't have a clue if any of the different ideas are correct. I do not know if time can actually be defined by the way they are trying to say is the way. I tend to think time is defined by position in relation to the universe, since we are always moving, time changes. The earth is flying in a pattern through space, movement can effect our realization of time. Our movement on this planet is just a tiny part of our movement through the universe on our trek to who knows where.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Starred & flagged!

... but even such nice graphics fail to adequately describe how masses interact in Minkowski space, because a 4d manifold is surprisingly anti-intuitive.

None the less, good work!

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

It does not show the warping of time. Although that would be a bit more difficult to visualize.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Matters main aim is to become the next heaviest element call it evolution of mass and gravity is just the heavy elements calling for lighter elements to join them to unite to become heavier elements think optimus prime

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Take out the music, add some decent narration from a good microphone. You sir, would be a 250k-500k+ YouTuber.

If you keep coming up with stuff like this, that is.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Nice vid.

Gravity is a strange thing. Not sure it is really understood.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Nice, starred and flagged.

I'll look more tomorrow, getting late..

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ARM1968

Nice vid.

If we knew how it worked, we could make gravity motors in the same way we make electromagnetic motors and dynamos.

I've got as far as understanding there's this quantum foam made from pairs of particles that appear and disappear. Positive particles tend to "disappear" into the nucleus of an atom just like positrons. So that generates a flow. A magnetic field is the positive and negative virtual particles lining up.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Nice vid.

If we knew how it worked, we could make gravity motors in the same way we make electromagnetic motors and dynamos.

I've got as far as understanding there's this quantum foam made from pairs of particles that appear and disappear. Positive particles tend to "disappear" into the nucleus of an atom just like positrons. So that generates a flow. A magnetic field is the positive and negative virtual particles lining up.

It's the lack of an equal or opposite force that confuses me. There is something fundamental we are missing. A force that only acts one way is, frankly, bizzare. Gravity, or whatever it is, is the glue that makes everything work effectively. But what the hell is it?

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Mass bends spacetime via what force?

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Nice job. This illustrates more of the reality of the gravitational effects than the old ball and trampoline does.
I have always contended that gravity is an "effect' far more than a force. The difference being in the definitions.

I agree with the comment about the music and lack of narration. Might I also interject the usage of different sizes of objects in the center of your force lines which would show the degree in which varying masses would bend these lines.

I do not mean this to be critical but as a means of enhancing and expanding a very good illustration. Many people are just not as gifted as others in matters of abstract spacial conception.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Nice try - but I couldn't get past the #ing awful music - are you twelve?

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'll go one step further, space-time is not a cube. It's infinite, but that's a good visual you have broken down Barney style. Ohh and the music, it's fantastic.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

It does not show the warping of time. Although that would be a bit more difficult to visualize.

Time doesn't warp, it flows at a slower rate the closer to a massive body you get. You can't really show that graphically with bendy lines, but it suffices to imagine that the stretched out "lines" of space also mean stretched out time.

In fact, my own hypothesis is that the attractive force of gravity is simply the effect of time dilation. Objects will try to slide towards the place where time is flowing slower. It's simolar to the effects of osmosis (where water molecules move towards the place with bigger concentration of salt) or the rising of helium or hot air balloons (due to difference in atmospheric pressure).

~~~

Sorry about the music, everybody. I tried switching it with some random track, but it's not possible anymore.
edit on 27-5-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Nice vid.

It's the lack of an equal or opposite force that confuses me. There is something fundamental we are missing. A force that only acts one way is, frankly, bizzare. Gravity, or whatever it is, is the glue that makes everything work effectively. But what the hell is it?

Magnetic fields follow the one over distance cubed rule and are bipolar (due to positive/negative charges), while gravity is one over distance squared and monopolar. Nuclear forces are even higher powers but don't go beyond the atomic nucleus. But there are repulsive and attractive forces.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Nice vid.

Magnetic fields follow the one over distance cubed rule and are bipolar (due to positive/negative charges), while gravity is one over distance squared and monopolar. Nuclear forces are even higher powers but don't go beyond the atomic nucleus. But there are repulsive and attractive forces.

Perhaps our folly is in viewing gravity as a force (and by "force" we mean application of energy). As I described in my previous post, the attraction may be solely to time dilation. Mass slows the flow of time down near itself, and this discrepancy in the flow of time causes objects to "slide" from fast-time space to slow-time space.
edit on 27-5-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
P.S. - a new version of the video, for those who got offended by the music in the original video: www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join