It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

The problem is, the state provides certain benefits to people who get marriage licenses. Those benefits don't happen if all you do is go to a church ceremony. Like it or not, that's the way it is. Refusing to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples cuz "gay is a sin" is discrimination that the government should not allow. I don't care what churches allow or don't allow. My concern is with the state.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that every citizen has the right to the same public accommodations that everyone else has, and that you cannot deny public accommodation based on basic identity factors (religion, race, nationality, sexual orientation, etc.). Jim Crow laws taught us that lesson.

The point is, Pence wants to legislate according to his religious belief, even if it means shutting people out. Some are against that and want him to know it.

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Yes. Despite my dislike of her, I'd not have disrupted a ceremony of this nature. So, yes, it was petty.

link   

I was not talking about the signs and you know it. Stop deflecting. We are talking about things like that bakery that refused to bake a cake for gay couple.

You've managed to twist the actual OP into one on a superfluous issue like gay marriage.

Um gay marriage is right there in the article. Pay attention. It's one of the reasons for the walk out.

edit on 5/22/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So you support discriminating against people who choose not to get married, by denying them those same benefits?

link   

I have my view due to how i prioritize things in my life. In any given day my goal is to complete my days tasks as quickly as I can and then go home to be with my family. Even as a teen/early 20's kid, my goal was to complete whatever it was i was doing to get things done then spend time with people who mattered to me.

I view 90% of protests as displays of histrionic behavior. And when it comes to kids, whether educated or not, I see 90% of their actions as being driven by groupthink and pop culture memes.

Like i said: they are free to protest. That is a right reserved for The People. I suspect that, like most of us, it'll only take a year or two of the real world before they realize its a wasted effort. And despite all this, i have zero hope that enough of them will realize that the only way to REALLY protest is with their votes (and that they will continue to vote a party line they are told to vote by pop culture) to ever make any real difference for anything meaningful.

ETA: i don't doubt that they could protest Pence's past. But I DO 100% doubt that any of them would have a clue of what his history represents without media memes making it so. And I find it absolutely hilarious that the same folks who would walk out of a Pence commencement are the same who would rather see him in the Oval Office than Trump. I felt the same about Clinton/Gore when i was a college freshman.
edit on 5/22/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

link   

Exactly, they are protesting a non-issue.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Actually you did that, or at least helped, in this post.

edit on 22-5-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Yes. Despite my dislike of her, I'd not have disrupted a ceremony of this nature. So, yes, it was petty.

You call that a disruption? It's an extremely minor if that. The speech resumed without any problem.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Didn't call it a riot, did I? No matter how minor the disruption, it still remains a disruption. Not calling for them to be arrested, or beaten, or even shunned...

They're within their rights to do as they did...just as I'm within mine to think they're petty.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Yeah, I have to be careful arguing with DA, he likes to twist things to the point of the argument being meaningless.

No offense DA, but that happened the other day with the whole 'oh btw anecdotes'.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You might think it's petty but civil rights is a huge thing. Not so petty if you think about it. It's like MLK walking out on a racist's speech.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

So you support discriminating against people who choose not to get married, by denying them those same benefits?

No, but that's another discussion. Turning two consenting adults away from getting a marriage license because "gay is bad" is what Pence wants.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

How am I twisting anything? Civil right is civil right.

Oh about that "anecdotes" thing? I think it's the reason that thread was deleted.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

You are perfectly free to think it was petty but it is a non sequitur no matter what the size of the disruption was.
edit on 22-5-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Did I ever even remotely say that they couldn't? Nope. Didn't.

Do I think it was a bad idea? Yep. Do.

Would I stop 'em from doing so? Nope. Wouldn't. As I said above, they're within their rights to be petty.

I find it amusing that these folks, many of 'em any way, would love to see Pence in the Oval Office, since a good many probably think Trump should be impeached, or resign... Amusing, no?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
(Speaking of threads getting deleted another one just got poofed. Dare I say it's a part of conspiracy?
)
edit on 5/22/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

HEYYYYYYYY i never said I was against equal treatment under the law. I think they are entitled to licences and legal benefits of marriage. I just don't think they can or should force churches to give marriages they don't want to. Anyone know the exact laws on the books? It sounds like they already have all the same rights, just not in sanctioned churches. Am I mistaken?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I never suggested that you ever said those things.

And I am one of those people who think Pence would be a good president despite me not agreeing with his views.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

Of course it is.

My opinion matters not in the slightest, save that it's my opinion. They're free to opine by walkin' out, I'm free to opine about them walkin' out.

Everyone's happy!

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Fair 'nough!!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join