It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I don't know. I think it could be argued that they were not going to sit there and tolerate it.

Maybe being intolerant is being used wrong?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

They are not being tolerant of his views.

You are attempting to confuse intolerance of his views and what he has to say, and disruption from him actually speaking.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: User1138

Yeah, if not for the revolutionary war you would be speaking english.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: GodEmperor

Um the topic here is students walking out on Pence's speech. That is a peaceful protest. No yelling. No disruptions. They are not being intolerant because Pence are still free to speak.
So your statement is extreme and misleading.

epic slide bro props

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

I don't know. I think it could be argued that they were not going to sit there and tolerate it.

Maybe being intolerant is being used wrong?

Perhaps. Maybe "unaccepatable" is more like the right word? I mean Pence has done things in the past as governor that is morally questionable. Do we have to accept that? Should the students be forced to accept Pence sullying up their life-changing experience?
edit on 5/22/2017 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

They are not being tolerant of his views.

You are attempting to confuse intolerance of his views and what he has to say, and disruption from him actually speaking.

It's not just his views; it's the anti-gay legislation he has tried to pass when he was governor of Indiana, and his votes against non-discrimination laws for LGBT when a member of Congress. Those are actions, not just views.

Would you be tolerant of someone who was trying to take away your or your family's/friends' civil rights?

(post by User1138 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I think it has more to do with the left being sold as "tolerant" but the word literally means putting up with things you don't want to put up with.

ETA: At some point it was going to stop fitting.
edit on 22-5-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

I think it has more to do with the left being sold as "tolerant" but the word literally means putting up with things you don't want to put up with.

Yeah. It's no wonder English is the hardest language in the world.

And I agree. People like BLM and Antifa would be more apropos for the word "intolerance".

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The problem with it all is this:

The decision of marriage should solely rest on the church. If one church wants to marry gays, then so be it, go to that church to get married; if another church will only marry man and wife, then so be it.

Supporting that type of legislation, ensures that at no time can same-sex marriage be allowed/disallowed based on what is dictated by law.

The actions of Pence, are based on allowing companies to deny service to same-sex couples on religious grounds. That is a stupid business decision for a company who would choose to do that, so go find one that will.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Wow, this has turned into the most hair splittingist thead i've been in five minutes. LMAO

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Two years ago, I attended my god-daughters college graduation...through various issues she persevered and got her degree, I couldn't tell you who spoke, don't care to put it bluntly, I wasn't there for them to bloviate at, I was there for that young woman. But I surely do remember her young ecstatic face as she walked across that stage...her mom, and I were crying buckets, wishing her Dad could have been there in person, rather than in spirit. Kinda bittersweet moment there, for us, anyway...not for her.

That's the sacred that our Redneck is speaking of.

Strikes me as rather petty to walk out, but whatever.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That is a stupid business decision for a company who would choose to do that, so go find one that will.

That's what they told them in the 50's and 60's.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Would it be petty if they walked out on Hillary?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Pence is a turd. So don't look to me to defend the guy and his record as an elected official. But lets be honest: they did this cuz Trump. The world has gone mad. If Trump were just 1/3 as bad as people like to think he is, the whole world would already be on fire. This is all because of Trump, and has little to do with Pence's actual record.

It's impossible for you to believe they're against Pence's actions when he was a governor and member of Congress? Really?

And I don't think you're stupid. I know you know who Pence is and what he's known for. I believe these students are also very bright and they also know - and they protested. I don't understand how their decision to exercise their constitutional right was stupid. Especially the way they did it without totally disrupting the whole event.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Apples and oranges buddy.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

One could argue that marriage is a pagan ritual that predates the church. Which is kind of spooky to think about. But also times changed and the church and it's ways are sacred to many. I don't think people should be forced to perform a gay wedding by law if they choose to respect their religion. That is separation of church and state if I ever heard it. Really a tough issue.
edit on 22-5-2017 by User1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

Apples and oranges buddy.

More like Apples and fruits.

But anyway try again. Gay people have rights too.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Nice try.

They aren't being barred from going shopping, or going to the drug store, etc.

This is an instance where people don't want to be apart of that ceremony because it is not apart of their beliefs.

Where are all the signs posted everywhere, 'No gays allowed'?

You've managed to twist the actual OP into one on a superfluous issue like gay marriage.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Grew up in South Bend and know people who were working security. Apparently after they left and Mike Pence was done they tried to get back in for the rest of the ceremony but were denied.

I don't know whether or not it's true but I could definitely see that happening. One distraction was enough but letting them back in would have created more of a distraction and taken away from the ceremony.

Selfish protest in my opinion, and I knew it was a matter of time before they got the spotlight they so eagerly felt they deserved. Morons.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join