It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I'm a liberal. I don't think there is a problem, they are within their rights to protest. I just think they are highly misguided and used poor judgement.
edit on 22-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It's not like they showed up to Commencement and suddenly found out that Pence was the speaker. I'm sure it was announced prior to the event. If they didn't want to hear Pence then they could very well have just stayed home - saved Mom & Dad the expense of a trip to the old alma mater, saved on the rental of the cap and gown, finished their finals and packed up and left long before the commencement activities...to get a jumpstart on their vacations or summer jobs...or actual grown up gainful employment.

But NO, they wanted to show up, stand up, and walk out to make a statement. (And that's fine, perfectly legal, perfectly acceptable to protest in a civil manner.) And they got their moment of fame, got shown on the national news. Oh boy. Woot. Woot.

But basically it made them look like @sshats.

This country is SO screwed up. Yeah, I get that you don't agree with me. Guess what? I don't agree with YOU, either. But I will listen politely, to your opinion. You have a right to express it...if you do it politely, in a civil manner without wreaking havoc and burning cars in the street and blocking freeways.

I have sat through countless meetings, speeches, classes, lectures...where I didn't necessarily agree with the speaker/teacher/lecturer. Sometimes I was bored out of my mind. Sometimes I was irritated. Sometimes downright infuriated. But - oh my SURPRISE! SURPRISE! - occasionally I actually LEARNED SOMETHING from someone I disagreed with. (I know...what's wrong with me, right??)

If we can no longer have civil discourse in this country (and that means an exchange of ideas, even if we don't necessarily AGREE with those ideas) how the bloody H3LL are we going to ever sit down together and actually work out our problems and get anything done??? At present all we're doing is being petulant, whiny and obstructionist. None of those things is CONSTRUCTIVE.

Makes me sad.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is slightly off topic but I feel that it needs addressed.

I think portesting for gay rights is admirable, I have no problem with that.

But why are these protests more important that protesting the deaths of people at the hands of war mongering administrations?

Where were all of these moral giants when Obama was bombing innocents everyday, and overthrowing Libya and other countries? No those lives weren't worth the protests. But a transgender bathroom law, well that like Hitler! (right kaylaluv).

I was with the antiwar left under the Bush years, but as far as I am concerned their credibility is shot after their silence under Obama.

So while these students and others have the right to protest Pence for his anti LGBT stance, I think I will take their moral superiority with a grain of salt.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I'm a liberal. I don't think there is a problem, they are within their rights to protest. I just think they are highly misguided and used poor judgement.

Based on your post history, you sure are a conservative liberal. So you believe in protest, but don't think they should have protested. Riiiiiiight.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

What makes me a conservative liberal? By the way, I live in the most multicultural and diverse city in the world (Toronto), in the most socially progressive country in the world (Canada), and next to probably California, Toronto is the bleeding heart of the world.

Trust me I am liberal. But I am not emotionally invested in politics and I can see what's going on. I will continue to call out and expose the left (and by left I don't mean you, me, her or liberals). I'm hardly a conservative.

So what you're saying is I can't be a liberal and disagree with them walking out? Why not?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I would have walked out too.

I paid for the education and piece of paper. Not some D-Bag to sit on stage like he has something else to teach me when I am trying to gtfo and get on with the real world.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

First off -

Congratulations on your Graduation.

Second -

Third -

Graduation is a 'sacred' occasion for many, if not most, people.

Perhaps the students that walked out did consider their graduation 'sacred' but desecrated by the presence & speech of M. Pense. They attended 'their' commencement but choose to leave when confronted with having to listen to a person who's actions and speech they found offensive.

They were acting out of conscience, non-violently. It was a 'sacred' act for them.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Yes, I've seen you "call out the left" many times. I have yet to see you call out the right though.

You're a Trump supporter too, aren't you?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Why did these whiny hypocrites choose to go to Notre Dame to begin with if they they think Catholicism is so evil?

Pence's beliefs are completely in line with the current Catholic church dogma.
edit on 22-5-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Yes I am a Trump supporter. As a liberal am I allowed to support him? Is that okay? Or do I have to ascribe to groupthink and follow every other liberal?

At the core of me and my beliefs, I am definitely liberal, but I'm also an individual and only represent myself, and only think for myself.

I have called out the right many times and denounced dumb things that Trump supporters have done.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Lol.

You guys complained about protestors "not being peaceful."

So when these kids enact a form of protest, peacefully, the same people STILL complain about it.

Lol.

Don't like peaceful protests? Move to Saudi Arabia and enjoy the fruits of death penalties for government protests.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Sure, as a liberal you can support a ban on gay marriage, or a ban on Muslims, or removing medicaid for millions of poor people, or allowing retail establishments to kick out gays, or allowing laws that force trans youth to use the school restroom that go against their gender identity. But don't expect me to really believe you're anything more than a conservative in liberal's clothing.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Man you guys really cry about every little thing that does not fit in your fantasy right wing world.

You guys complain that colleges amd universities are controlled by evil marxist to destroy the holy god land of murika.

Da people,do things we dont like, wha wha evil commies.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So now you are going to put words in my mouth and assume I support everything Trump or his administration stands for?

Here's what I don't support - the elite left conglomerates taking over what it means to be 'Liberal' and brainwashing everyone, implementing facism in the name of anti-facism and indoctrinating our kids. I don't support the unfair demonization and false narratives they have been pushing since before Trump's inception. I don't support what the elite left stand for. This alone is enough to make me a Trump supporter.

And wether you believe that I'm a liberal or not makes no difference in how I will continue to carry myself.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

actually there was no redefinition of sacred. What Kali said was sacred is in the eye of the beholder. YOU may see n event as sacred and someone else does not see it as sacred. Definition still stands as you stated but that does NOT mean she or anyone has to conform to what you personally hold sacred. I never attend my graduation for my BS, my MA, OR my MBA....I won't do it for my doctorate....because I don't care. It means little to me. I have intrinsic motivation and those degrees meant something to me personally...And I am super proud of the other graduates, but no offense, their life is theirs and their accomplishments, while just as amazing as mine, aren't "sacred" to me. When my wife walks for her PhD, if she does, I will be there because she is sacred to me.

Point being I agree that the definition does not change...but you don't get to decide for anyone other than yourself what is sacred to others

Now the next part is a general response

Why is everyone so whiny? Like honestly...why so whiny? We on our side get called snowflakes constantly but this behavior is rampant with those who are Trump supporters. Nobody is upset that he can't stay away from whining and crying on Twitter which is absolutely his right! But when these students take a stand, legally, and in protest....they are just awful

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: onthedownlow
What happened to the right to disagree?

This would be one sad and miserable world if everyone, thought the same, believed all the same things, liked all the same things, and desired all the same things.

When I hear a group of people all parroting and doing the same thing, my first response is that it is either a flash mob performance or some other staged event. Being a member of family with 5 brothers and 4 sister, I know for certain that a group that involves more than 2 people can rarely agree on one flavor of ice cream to buy, so I am immediately suspicious when I see a large group all doing and saying the same things.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Pence is a backwards thinking, bigot. If he had his way, gays would be in prison or dead. He is anti-abortion even in cases where there has been rape or severe deformities. The man thinks the bible is fact not fiction. I wouldn't want him or anyone else from the Trump administration giving a commencement at a college I attended. He is bad for America and bad for a progressive society. I don't identify as democrat or republican because I think they are both wrong on many accounts but the Trump administration is just laughable.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The hallmark of the young is "stupid decisions". They haven't had the practice at making decisions and filtering bullsnip that we have had. I remember how stupid i was in my 20's. It actually embarasses me. I had only become a shadow of the man I am today, and were i to meet my "then" self today i'd hate him pretty fervently.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

When it comes to getting falling down drunk at frat parties, or standing on top of a car going 70 mph, sure- that's pretty stupid.
When it comes to protesting a man who has no problem taking away the civil rights of a whole group of people? I don't think that's so stupid.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

That dbag is a leader of the best country in the world. Don't like it? maybe you should get out if it's so oppressive, nobody is stopping you. I hear Sweden's new totalitarian regime might be what you are seeking.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join