It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of young women going 'au naturel' as nearly a quarter now don't shave their underarms

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
My point in this thread is vulgarity is in the eye of the beholder.

Also, does it mean that 75% of women are still buying into the programming of what others' think they should do and be.
edit on 15CDT12America/Chicago005121231 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

I'm an older woman, retired. I'm sick of vulgar, violent, grotesque young women. These days they act like pigs.

I don't see the connection to underarm hair. Supposedly the whole women shaving business started with vulgar prostitutes keeping the lice off.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So?

Who are the rest of us to tell someone how to dress or preen themselves?

So bloody what if they want to grow underarm hair. Each to their own. It's no-one elses place to judge them for that.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Silly women.... There are plenty of 100% plant based substitution for shaving gel.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
A little Manscaping is very desirable to a rather large and growing percent of women. I'm sure there will always be those women that love nose hair, harry ears large bush covering everything and a back and chest to keep you warm in the dead of winter, so don't shave and we will not trim...lol

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

And by the same token who are you to tell people NOT to tell people what to do?

I don't think anyone here is telling anyone what to do, I would say they are giving their personal preferences. Like I like mustard and you don't.

Seems like may are offended by someones personal preferences that differ from theirs. I may or may not like this-but don't make the simpleton mistake of this forcing anyone to do anything.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

And by the same token who are you to tell people NOT to tell people what to do?

I don't think anyone here is telling anyone what to do, I would say they are giving their personal preferences. Like I like mustard and you don't.

Seems like may are offended by someones personal preferences that differ from theirs. I may or may not like this-but don't make the simpleton mistake of this forcing anyone to do anything.

Dude, it's just not cool to be going around judging others by whether or not they shave their armpits. Seriously, it's so damn shallow.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Mousygretchen

That is the greatest point of all if they are doing this because of the crap in shaving products. And their is a bunch of stuff in the products.

If anyone wants an extremely close shave, coconut oil will do that and leave a nice smoooooth face or whatever you are shaving.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Again, who is judging them?

It could be considered a masculine thing to omit, because the majority of men don't shave pits.

But if some women don't want to shave, knock yourself out.

Because I may not like it is not a bad thing is it?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Again, who is judging them?

It could be considered a masculine thing to omit, because the majority of men don't shave pits.

But if some women don't want to shave, knock yourself out.

Because I may not like it is not a bad thing is it?

Why bother to make a thread about it if the purpose wasn't to make a big deal out of it?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Why I am making a thread has nothing to do with the fact that I may or may not prefer this.

I someone doesn't like hair there, are you going to be the one to say they should like it?

Again if someone wants to not groom, don't. That doesn't mean I need to like it? Right?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Well back to the 60s and 70s, when bikini wax was nothing but a dream.

Is just a trend, I am too old to care.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Aesthetically speaking, IDGAF. I shave mine once or twice a week to control odor. Whether or not I have Buckwheat in a headlock going on or not is not something I give two s#s about, it's the odor control I care about.

Forgive me if it's been touched on, but bathing is NOT the be all, end all for odor control, many people (like me) are naturally stinky. Being generically dirty isn't nearly as big a factor as people think, because bathing doesn't make the smell of your pile of garlic & onion-laden dinner vanish with a bar of Irish Spring. I'll smell like it for days until it works it's way out of the system.
And then there's our pit bacteria. Pure sweat is odorless. Bacteria eat TF out of the lipids & protein in our sweat, and thus create the stanktacular gaseous byproduct we crinkle our noses at. Again, soap doesn't solve that unless you're bathing in antibacterial soap to begin with. And even then, they recolonize pretty quick & you're back at reekarific square one anyway. Getting those bacteria within a balance that doesn't stink isn't easy, and OTC antibacterial route is more of a stopgap than a permanent measure.

Also, I don't shave the gams on a regular basis, either. Not at all in winter, and once a month or so the rest of the year.
*Eyeballs current Bavarian Forest on legs*
Yeah, not really worth the time & effort of daily or every other day shaving. Or weekly. That takes more time than I have to waste and more effort than I care to muster up. I prefer my legs smooth rather than hairy, but this isn't a quick shave by any means.
edit on 5/19/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Sensible.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Women are free to grow beards out of their pits. Their choice.

Men of course are also free to say that # is disgusting and go find a woman who takes better care of her looks and embraces her femininity.

Reverse is also true, men are free to grow lumberjack looking beards. And women are free to go find a better kept man.

For me this is more a byproduct of the increased masculinization of western women. Born of the feminist movement. Feminists might think it's the right thing but biologically most men still prefer feminine women. There's a reason after all Eastern Euro, Russian, Asian and Brasilian women are often considered the most attractive. They embrace their femininity.

The new-wave fat, hairy feminist with a nose ring and pink hair just isn't attractive. Leads to them not getting a man. Which then leads to unhappiness. Which then leads to a void to fill in their lives which is taken up by crying about social injustice. If women embraced their femininity, embraced staying home and raising a family, they'd be happier.

Women are unhappier now than at any time in modern history and feminism is responsible. Fat is beautiful is a pathetic lie pushed on modern women. No one wants a hog.

Happy, healthy, stylish 1950's women.

The modern, must be happy with her life, feminist.

edit on 19-5-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Are you saying there is a connection between SJW's and feminism?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I think some people are missing the obvious fact that many women (like myself) DGAF if their pits are a little hairy sometimes. If I am wearing a tank top or bathing suit in public, I make sure they are shaved for those occasions. Otherwise, it's just not on my list of priorities to stay on top of. Plus, I am not a very hairy person. I could grow my armpit hair for a year and it would be like a dozen inch long blondish hairs probably. Also, I don't feel like having some armpit hair growth makes my armpits (more) smelly. Everyone is different though.

There's nothing social justice, feminist, or political about it, for me. I'm 45, I'm not trying to impress people with the attention I give to making my armpits look fabulous, but I don't want to gross anyone out either. That's about as deep as it goes. I am sure I am not alone in that.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

Sensible.

When you delve in & learn about why shaved pits don't smell as much as hairy ones, it makes much more sense to shave, even if it's once or twice a week. There is much less "square footage" for bacteria to (literally) cover when hair is removed, they don't just live on the skin. They live on the hairs as well. Removing that equals less bacteria making odoriferous byproducts.
It also exposes the skin in a notoriously damp & warm area (2 things bacteria love most) to more instances of direct air contact. Which translates to arm pits that have more opportunity to stay cooler & thus don't sweat as much, and/or dry out faster when they do, both of which lead to an overall reduced buffet for our microscopic buddies there.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Good news. I couldn't care either way. Women should do what makes them comfortable.

We need to quit forcing women to live under the Playboy/Victoria's Secret/Runway model paradigm anyway.

Most guys don't care. If they do, then don't date them. If your'e a guy and care, then don't date them or marry them. I don't see a problem with this. Unless you're so insecure that you want everyone you meet to adapt your worldview into their daily living.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join