It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of young women going 'au naturel' as nearly a quarter now don't shave their underarms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

In 2013 95 per cent of women aged 16 to 24 said they removed hair from their underarms. In 2016, this had dropped to just 77 per cent.
"There's also some pushing back against societal expectations of what women should look like," she said.

The "free from" trend, which sees women rejecting chemicals in favour of natural products, has been influential, with 53 per cent of women saying they only use products with "natural" ingredients.
www.telegraph.co.uk...
There are about 25% of women out there that are not shaving their under arms as a trend called "free from" meaning they are avoiding ingredients that are not natural and potentially harmful.
This is also push back against what women should look like and social expectations.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Okay. I'm not one to gaze upon an armpit anyway.
Seems like Aussie women favor it, from "research" on other things.

+5 more 
link   
I'm sorry...

That's just nasty.

link   
There are two key words in your post.; women and trend.

+3 more 
posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This heavily bearded barbarian approves.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Yeah....no

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Not a fan either.

Seems very masculine to let the under arm garden grow. Then again I must be part of the yolk of oppression that these poor women are railing against better known as social expectations.

+1 more 
link   
Damn hippies...

link   
So what? The norms over the year have been restrictive to us women. While it's not my thing, can't deal with excess hair, it may be fine for others and it's their choice. As mentioned, whether a trend or not, body hair changes up a bit in modern society.

Seems many that have a problem with how woman want to be as opposed to how society wants to see them have issues with this. Yet they also don't like women wearing makeup. Odd, can't have natural without both!

link   
Sorry. I was out of line there.

edit on 18-5-2017 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It doesn't mater what women look like. Men will always find them attractive.
edit on 18-5-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
So what? The norms over the year have been restrictive to us women. While it's not my thing, can't deal with excess hair, it may be fine for others and it's their choice. As mentioned, whether a trend or not, body hair changes up a bit in modern society.

Seems many that have a problem with how woman want to be as opposed to how society wants to see them have issues with this. Yet they also don't like women wearing makeup. Odd, can't have natural without both!

But it is icky.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I don't kiss an armpit. It's not a thing. Unless you're wicked. Say no more, say no more, a nod's as good of a wink to a blind bat, say no more...

+2 more 
posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

'Bout time. The whole women shaving their bodies was invented by razor companies to boost profits in the 20s and 30s. The hair we still have through evolution serves a purpose and really shouldn't be removed entirely; it makes you less clean and more susceptible to bacteria.

Just imagine razor burn in your armpits... f**king ouch.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I like A bit of grass on the lawn, but not in the gutters.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear
Off topic: Rick and morty for the win!

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I don't know anything about the "free form" movement, but my fiance stopped shaving her underarms years ago. It was kinda funny actually because she sat me down for a "serious talk" one day just to see what my opinions we're on armpit hair. I told her I really couldn't care less whether or not a woman shaved her pits (after a long sigh of relief the talk was of nothing much more serious). Since then she's gone without shaving there and I don't really notice/care.

It's a bit ironic too because I have practically no body hair naturally, so her underarm hair is more substantial than mine. It's fun to tease her about it about once a year, but other than that, who really cares? Another funny thing is that the hair on her head is typically shorter than mine as well. When I met her, my hair was about 3-4 inches long and her's was about half an inch to an inch. Knowing her, if she knew this was some kind of movement, she probably would've second-guessed doing it in the first place.

All I know is that she was uncomfortable with the razor burn and the prickliness of shaving her pits, and I would rather her be comfortable and happy over being superficially groomed because society says that's what beauty demands. I find her perfect with or without a patch of hair under her arms.

Edit to add: I've also never met anyone with so much natural glow and beauty to where I have to beg her to not wear makeup and ruin her natural face.
edit on 18-5-2017 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: dreamingawake

But it is icky.

I'm bi and prefer women without it but a cute chick shouldn't be kicked to the curb for a choice. Possible you'll find that choice out before getting more intimate anyway, right?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Shaving the area is a pain, literally and indeed causes skin issues. I bet there's tons of women who don't, not like anyone is going to know otherwise unless talked about or wearing a more revealing shirt.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: the owlbear
Off topic: Rick and morty for the win!

I don't know if bringing Rick and Marty into it is off topic.

I don't know Rick's stance on hair, but the "Anatomy Park" episode full on discloses Morty dodged a bullet because of puffy vagina. I'm not being vulgar and I think it's a valid point.
edit on 18-5-2017 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join