It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says People With Higher IQ's Are More Likely To Use Cannabis

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

All a high IQ is is raw learning potential.

The main difference between a high IQ kid and the lower IQ one is how fast the high IQ kid can master the concept you are teaching and begin to synthesize with it.

It may only take the high IQ kid 1 or 2 repetitions of absorb the concept while the average IQ kid may take 8 or 10. And the high IQ kid then starts manipulating and synthesizing with that concept and others while the average kid may simply be happy to absorb the concept and wait to be led to the next step.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Can confirm.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Isn't it just that most people unless they live in a dictatorship have tried weed by the time they're thirty?
I mean really?

I know dozens of people who've never tried it even once. I will say that most of them, in my opinion, should...and often. The demonization of bud is actually quite effective and successful, even now.

Actually, it is a case of psychological manipulation. They know demonizing will lead to further not less use. You are being played.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

It's also true that people with higher IQs also tend to have a harder time socially fitting in. Certain personality and emotional profiles are more disposed toward drug use as a result.

It has much less to do with being smarter than you think and everything to do with seeking relief and not always in a healthy way.

People with higher IQ's have trouble fitting in? Not true. I mean maybe in high school, but it depends on the type of people you associate with. I fit in fine with a lot of people.
I think you are mixing up high IQ with Autism or depression which can affect anyone.

As for being disposed towards drug use, rich, poor, black, white, clever, dumb, many people use drugs.

edit on 15/5/2017 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Not really.

I have a high IQ and I am neither autistic nor depressed. I can interact socially, but most people are ... well, dull and shallow. Who wants to spend a lot of time engaging in water cooler talk about the latest pop sitcom? There are so many far more interesting topics to talk about like ancient cultures, the animal behaviors I observed in my aquariums, etc.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
I agree with the article.
I have a "HIGH" IQ in the 160's and smoking the herb slows my brain down to normal levels.

Mine is 1400, you will have to take my word on that of course.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
i also wonder if it has something to do with being more open to learning and broadening their horizon. they may want to understand something more readily then people with a lower IQ. i still to this day dont believe IQ is a good measure of a person. i know plenty of people who are not the brightest bulb in the pack but are extremely loving caring people who possess talents that i dont see in people who are more intelligent then them. we are complicated beasts.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: Taggart
I agree with the article.
I have a "HIGH" IQ in the 160's and smoking the herb slows my brain down to normal levels.

Mine is 1400, you will have to take my word on that of course.

I was gonna say.. .That was my SAT score... But then they changed the SAT's to 2400 I think, right?

I also fell asleep during the last 45 minutes of the SATs. So I in no way use my SAT score as proof of anything aside from I know how to take a test well.

My IQ? Its up there, I dont get the need to share that kind of information however.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Hell no, weed smokers are dumb as rocks. Although I do support legalization. I've seen too many lives ruin. It totally kills your motivation and drive in life.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: amfirst1

Hell no, weed smokers are dumb as rocks. Although I do support legalization. I've seen too many lives ruin. It totally kills your motivation and drive in life.

you might need to expand your horizons. youd be surprised how many doctors, lawyers and people in well respected professions smoke marijuana. the reason u dont notice is cause they are mature people. those people who were lazy and whatnot were most likely going to be lazy worthless people in anycase, they just happen to also smoke marijuana.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Nicely presented thread
There are plenty of productive people in society who use cannabis. May old stereotypes die off.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

youd be surprised how many doctors, lawyers and people in well respected professions smoke marijuana.

This would indeed explain a lot about our world.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
oh ok

I am the smartest man alive.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Yeah but high IQ does not equal education, either. High IQ -- or great gifts generally -- tends to come with debilities, though not in every case. "Smart" does not equal "successful", in other words.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Get off my lawn!

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

You can start here and leave your antiquated nonsense on the coffee table by the bong: Long Term Pot Smoking Doesn't Seem to Harm Health - Time Magazine
edit on 16-5-2017 by BeefNoMeat because: table

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
*scratches head*

Somehow, this is a more us-american thing. Pot was never a big thing while I studied at the university, I knew two or three people doing it, but it never was a "must-do to fit in" for anybody.

I disagree with the theory and would say that it does not fit universally with every country/culture.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
ALL THE DRUG USING TEENS WE KNOW IN OUR COMMUNITY WERE FROM DIVORCED FAMILIES

Of the eight DRUG USERS TEENS in two High schools that our family knew of, were ALL CHILDREN OF DIVORCED FAMILIES. Five of them ended up in Jail and expelled. One died: One kid was jailed for selling hard drugs. He had so much promise back when he was eight before his parents divorce and his dad died of diabetus. The mom's boyfriend was a really bad influence being in a rock band. I eventually told by kid I didn't want him to go to their house anymore. Another kid we sent home from a Marching band party for being high on pot. He joined the army after graduation. I hope they gave him the stability and structure he needed. Another kid died during football practice as a freshman. The officials said heart attack. My son said he heard the kid did drugs. Another kid who failed his way off the basket ball team was arrested running up and down a six lane street naked on acid. He claimed insanity and some how returned to school after being arrested. Two more boys were arrested leaving high school campus with a car of drugs, all the students watched with their faces pressed up against the windows. Another boy on the basket ball team of a different high school started smoking so much pot he ruined a car and his parents sent him to a rehab center three states away. He finished high school on line. Every one at high school knows who these troubled kids are, the students should turn them in for special counseling and Saturday study programs.

Drugs are a serious awful problem. The high schools need to council the kids more. They random drug tested my child because they knew he is the most upstanding, clean, honest, church going kid in his class and the wanted to present their high school as having no problems. So this high school is not helping its students out in doing this. They should aim for the kids they can actually help. As a mom who volunteered over the last fourteen years at the schools, I feel tramatized and sickened seeing all these young adults using drugs, getting expelled, ruining their community reputation, going to jail, having a felonious record, no college potential for them, and dying. It is the saddest thing to watch. At my one son's 12th birthday party on our porch I should have told all the kids don't do drugs ever and why. I should have told them if they ever need a grown up to talk to in life to stop by. I should have said if you even think of using drugs stop by and lets discuss that first. One of those kids is going to be in jail for a very long time and he has ruined his life at eighteen years old. I never saw him again after that party because he hung out with the bad kids, my kid hung out with the brainy nice kids who don't do drugs.

The kids we knew on drugs were from divorced families. All of them. Their parents are so messed up, and so self absorbed from their divorces one must ask "Who is watching and nurturing the precious kids? .....No one." I feel this study is wrong. Or maybe the kids with the great grades get them by working hard for the grades. IQ people don't want to work and may be lazy and experiment out of boredom.

edit on 16-5-2017 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Anything, that for a little while, let's you step outside of yourself and the conditioning we're all raised with and see things from a different perspective is a good thing.

So punching your head untill you lose conciousness is a good thing? you said anything

edit on 16-5-2017 by Eagleyedobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

...but because you never stored what you were saying in your short-term memory.

Isn't that the point of smoking marijuana to not store anything in memory and just chill out?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join