It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says People With Higher IQ's Are More Likely To Use Cannabis

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Well seeing as how the myth was created unscientifically in the first place (it was thought up on the spot to scare kids away from it), it really shouldn't take much to overturn it.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Pot has a reputation of MAKING you dumber. Not being a choice you would make because you are already dumb.

You know how hard it is to be a teenager in public schools with an above average IQ? Teachers single you out as an (much unwanted) example to the other kids.

You can't talk about what is on your mind with the people around you, because there is likely to be Calculus, or at least Algebra involved, and nobody around you wants to indulge in that stuff. So you just feel isolated all the time.

Pot gives smart people a way to be honest to goodness dumb for a while. Not just pretend to fit in, but actually fit in.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

No, with respect, that is not quite accurate.

Cannabis does not make you dumber. What it DOES do, is regulate and limit ones processing speed for the duration of its effect. So, if one happens to be one of those people who thinks INCREDIBLY fast, to the point where grabbing one thought out of the myriad and concentrating on it is difficult, because of the speed at which it passes through the mind, cannabis has a tendency to slow the pace at which thoughts and ideas revolve through the rotunda they are on.

This permits a canny person to use the substance to aid them in grasping singular thoughts, and actually reflecting on them deeply, without the hum of other concepts distracting them from the task.

When your mind is always awash with hundreds upon countless hundreds of thoughts a second, even when one is trying to relax, it can be VERY distracting indeed, to the point of driving one a little bit mad. This problem in and of itself, can cause insomnia, people experiencing that overload can sometimes appear to be daydreaming (they are not, because daydreaming is whimsical and often fruitless escapism, a departure into fantasy. People of the sort I am referring to however, are actually solving or internally debating practical problems, and not simple ones, like how to afford the grocery shop this month, but far greater thoughts than those promoted by those who accuse them of day dreaming), can cause people to appear distracted during conversation, and a whole heap of other things, including a retreat from the real world, to a place within their bubble of thought, where they cannot be disturbed.

On the other hand, a person in this situation is much more able to engage with the relatively pointless comings and goings of the mundane, if they are chemically prevented from going off on a tangent, which allows them a myriad of benefits, like improved social engagement, improved attention span, improved ability to simply fall asleep, rather than be woken by the clamour of their thoughts, the need to write that poem NOW, the need to write down this thought IMMEDIATELY, the need to stay up and consider the interactions between particles and their implications in the macroscopic world...

The benefits for a user who knows what they are doing, why they are doing it, and knows their limitations well are, without putting too fine of a point on it, life changing and undeniable.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
Marijuana, legalized or not, is a bad idea -

www.foxnews.com...

Is that you Jeff Sessions?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Cannabis does not make you dumber. What it DOES do, is regulate and limit ones processing speed for the duration of its effect. So, if one happens to be one of those people who thinks INCREDIBLY fast, to the point where grabbing one thought out of the myriad and concentrating on it is difficult, because of the speed at which it passes through the mind, cannabis has a tendency to slow the pace at which thoughts and ideas revolve through the rotunda they are on.

If that is the case, then it is also handy if your mind has a tendency to race to the end of a logical discussion. If you can think slower, then you can wait for other people to catch up. Without getting bored yourself.

Some people already have the ability to concentrate whilst thinking fast.

But I can definitely see how some peoples' intelligence might be augmented, if they suffer from the specific deficiency you mentioned. Other people would gradually lose the ability to do anything OTHER than concentrate on what's right in front of them, which makes planning for the future more difficult.

If you had the opposite deficiency, being able to concentrate on one thing, but unable to speed up your thought process to move past what you are concentrating on, then pot would make that worse.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous

originally posted by: TrueBrit

If that is the case, then it is also handy if your mind has a tendency to race to the end of a logical discussion. If you can think slower, then you can wait for other people to catch up. Without getting bored yourself.

Some people already have the ability to concentrate whilst thinking fast.

But I can definitely see how some peoples' intelligence might be augmented, if they suffer from the specific deficiency you mentioned. Other people would gradually lose the ability to do anything OTHER than concentrate on what's right in front of them, which makes planning for the future more difficult.

If you had the opposite deficiency, being able to concentrate on one thing, but unable to speed up your thought process to move past what you are concentrating on, then pot would make that worse.

Except that's not necessarily true, friend. If someone is able to calculate deeper into a process and literally make the abstract absolutely real in their own mind, that's not slow processing; that's deep processing. Deep processors can be affected negatively by pot as well.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

That is a rather simplistic way of looking at it. For me there are many reasons I started using and continue to use up into my 30's. For one I have ADD (not ADHD though). My mind is CONSTANTLY firing and thinking about different things. I started using it to turn that off, but it also expands my thinking. So I also like using it to come up with new ideas or study with.

And that is saying nothing about the joys it brings when it comes to music. Carl Sagan says it best:

"A very similar improvement in my appreciation of music has occurred with cannabis. For the first time I have been able to hear the separate parts of a three-part harmony and the richness of the counterpoint. I have since discovered that professional musicians can quite easily keep many separate parts going simultaneously in their heads, but this was the first time for me.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

This permits a canny person to use the substance to aid them in grasping singular thoughts, and actually reflecting on them deeply, without the hum of other concepts distracting them from the task.

This is EXACTLY what my ADD does to me and why I'm such a regular contributor to this website. I need an outlet for my ideas.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
We are all going to have different experiences of it, because we all have different strengths and deficiencies.

If a substance can help you defeat a deficiency you have, then I agree that you might as well use it. Especially if it helps you in a way that won't become diminishing when your tolerance starts to build up.

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That is a rather simplistic way of looking at it. For me there are many reasons I started using and continue to use up into my 30's. For one I have ADD (not ADHD though). My mind is CONSTANTLY firing and thinking about different things. I started using it to turn that off, but it also expands my thinking. So I also like using it to come up with new ideas or study with.

If it corrects for a specific deficiency, then I suppose the question of whether to use it or not is the same as the question in the movie "Limitless" (Bradley Cooper).

www.imdb.com...

Whether to use, or not to use NZT?

And that is saying nothing about the joys it brings when it comes to music. Carl Sagan says it best:

"A very similar improvement in my appreciation of music has occurred with cannabis. For the first time I have been able to hear the separate parts of a three-part harmony and the richness of the counterpoint. I have since discovered that professional musicians can quite easily keep many separate parts going simultaneously in their heads, but this was the first time for me.

That is to say that it helped him with a very specific type of processing.

Like having a hammer and a screw driver in your toolbox. Maybe Pot is the right tool for some jobs, but not others?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I'm not saying it's a solution to every problem in the world, but denying its benefits altogether is an entirely different matter. And it CERTAINLY doesn't make you dumber.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I can very well understand that situation.

Creating calmness of mind in a world going increasingly mad, is a necessity, not a luxury if you ask me, and certainly should not be something criminal in aspect.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I thinkt he study makes leaps on causation without it being merited (granted, i didn't read the paper, only the article).

It could be that there is a link between various anxieties and CBN receptors or something, with intelligence making you more acutely aware of things to be stressed over. This would explain why poor and stupid people tend to partake so much, too (at least in West Texas).

Studying it in a non clinical manner will only give clues on where to study in a clinical manner. Social science is mostly bunk as it can't identify causative factors very keenly.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

Thanks, man.

You've made some pretty slick points yourself.

Don't call yourself stupid anymore. You basically implied that earlier, but you're not at all.

Thanks, man.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Thanks, man.

You've made some pretty slick points yourself.

Don't call yourself stupid anymore. You basically implied that earlier, but you're not at all.

Thanks, man.

Don't thank me. It's your brain. I didn't give it to you.

I wanted to add here: My friend Andrew was over a few days ago. He is very intelligent and he smokes. But when he does, interacting with him becomes either funny or a chore... Even though I was drinking the whole time.

I took my Seroquel for my newly diagnosed schizo-cray and went to bed.

A high I.Q. drunk schizo went to bed early because of his high high I.Q. friend.

Let that sink in...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join