It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says People With Higher IQ's Are More Likely To Use Cannabis

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Marijuana, legalized or not, is a bad idea -

www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: waggz

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: Sillyolme
I'm not saying there's nothing to the study. My own experience with people who were partaking was that they were college educated. But that was just my crowd. I never put the two together.

College educated does not equal high IQ.

My experience is the people who used it went on to not graduate high school and now work at a gas station and still live with their parents.

I used to get down with Mary and many of my friends STILL do. Every one of us makes over 100k a year.

Not to mention; many large corporations had to quit drug testing in the IT market because they were losing their best Engineers who were failing drug tests for Marijuana.

Ill hint you in on something: us Engineers don't live in our mom's basement and we definitely aren't making chump change.

You do realize that a high I.Q. only defines how quickly you learn, not whether you learn.

There are billionaires with an average I.Q..

And money making abilities certainly have little correlation with I.Q.. Arguably the highest I.Q. population, the INTPs, make the least money.

Now, E.Q., that abstract little thing, that makes the money.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
Marijuana, legalized or not, is a bad idea -

www.foxnews.com...

Ask the cities that have legalized it if it's a bad idea.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You called it. There's no reason for me to read a paper on this subject. It's pretty much been summed up in this thread, and in real life the ratio of dolts who smoke vs high IQ folk who smoke is pretty much weighted to the side of the simpleton. If the findings weigh against the obvious "duh" in the world around us, then I would certainly question the method, the data, and the conclusion, etc., i.e., the entire study. I don't care to read it. I think I'll just think what I think based on my own 16 years of near daily pot smoking with smart folk, dumb folk, black, white, hispanic, gay, straight, upper class, middle class, poor folk, uptown, downtown, preppy, gangster, country, punk rockin', Texas, Colorado, California, Kansas.... You name it. If the study says high IQ is a primary determining factor in one's likeliness to try pot, then it's BS. That's pretty much that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

You called it. There's no reason for me to read a paper on this subject. It's pretty much been summed up in this thread, and in real life the ratio of dolts who smoke vs high IQ folk who smoke is pretty much weighted to the side of the simpleton. If the findings weigh against the obvious "duh" in the world around us, then I would certainly question the method, the data, and the conclusion, etc., i.e., the entire study. I don't care to read it. I think I'll just think what I think based on my own 16 years of near daily pot smoking with smart folk, dumb folk, black, white, hispanic, gay, straight, upper class, middle class, poor folk, uptown, downtown, preppy, gangster, country, punk rockin', Texas, Colorado, California, Kansas.... You name it. If the study says high IQ is a primary determining factor in one's likeliness to try pot, then it's BS. That's pretty much that.

If I were a moderator, I would applause this comment.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Thanks, man.

You've made some pretty slick points yourself.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well..... the title is. People of a high IQ are more likely to try cannabis. It does not say. ..The majority of cannabis users have a high IQ.

I only say that because most of the comments seem to be based as though the latter statement were purported to be true.
edit on 17-5-2017 by HarryJoy because: add

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
Well..... the title is. People of a high IQ are more likely to try cannabis. It does not say. ..The majority of cannabis users have a high IQ.

I only say that because most of the comments seem to be based as though the latter statement were purported to be true.

There is correlation implied there. People wouldn't be smoking it if they didn't first try it.

Unless the Mandela Effect just gained a new level.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Thanks, man.

You've made some pretty slick points yourself.

Don't call yourself stupid anymore. You basically implied that earlier, but you're not at all.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I'm not saying there's nothing to the study. My own experience with people who were partaking was that they were college educated. But that was just my crowd. I never put the two together.

My experience is the people who used it went on to not graduate high school and now work at a gas station and still live with their parents.

I used to get down with Mary and many of my friends STILL do. Every one of us makes over 100k a year.

Not to mention; many large corporations had to quit drug testing in the IT market because they were losing their best Engineers who were failing drug tests for Marijuana.

Ill hint you in on something: us Engineers don't live in our mom's basement and we definitely aren't making chump change.

You do realize that a high I.Q. only defines how quickly you learn, not whether you learn.

And money making abilities certainly have little correlation with I.Q.. Arguably the highest I.Q. population, the INTPs, make the least money.

I don't have an argument for you. I quoted the guy that said "all pot heads are sitting at their parents and working jobs pumping gas at gas stations being losers."

It's funny you would mention EQ because my MBTI type is INFP and I am a master of EQ.

Ever heard of Paul Allen? He co-founded Microsoft and is an INTP. I would say he is pretty well-off.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I don't have an argument for you. I quoted the guy that said "all pot heads are sitting at their parents and working jobs pumping gas at gas stations being losers."

It's funny you would mention EQ because my MBTI type is INFP and I am a master of EQ.

Ever heard of Paul Allen? He co-founded Microsoft and is an INTP. I would say he is pretty well-off.

INFPs usually know Myers-Briggs statistics pretty well. An INTP that is "well off" is an exception to their financial rule.

Also, that usually means someone pushed the INTPs ideas and gave them due credit.

I'm an INTJ. I'm well aware that Ti is more focused than Ni. But I also have a theory that feeling is thinking in hyperdrive, which is why I actually consider Fi a superior trait to Ti. It's the analog principled function whereas thinking is more of a digital function.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

INFPs usually know Myers-Briggs statistics pretty well. An INTP that is "well off" is an exception to their financial rule.

Also, that usually means someone pushed the INTPs ideas and gave them due credit.

I'm an INTJ. I'm well aware that Ti is more focused than Ni. But I also have a theory that feeling is thinking in hyperdrive, which is why I actually consider Fi a superior trait to Ti. It's the analog principled function whereas thinking is more of a digital function.

Your theory is very interesting. That's one of the things I love about INTJ and ENTJ types is that we can theorize together and it's awesome.

In INFP fashion; I would say neither Ti or Fi is superior. The combo together makes for an unstoppable force though.

Now are Ni, and Ne superior to Si, and Se. I would say...Yes.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Your theory is very interesting. That's one of the things I love about INTJ and ENTJ types is that we can theorize together and it's awesome.

In INFP fashion; I would say neither Ti or Fi is superior. The combo together makes for an unstoppable force though.

Now are Ni, and Ne superior to Si, and Se. I would say...Yes.

Ni is just Si on steroids, just like I think Fi is Ti on steroids. Same with the Extraverted functions. Feeling works much more quickly and in the real world much more than thinking does. Intuition not only learns from what is sensed, but it starts connecting dots and formulating ideas practically on autopilot. Introverted Intuition is particularly interesting because it is able to discern patterns internally, which is an even more odd concept than sensing things internally.

Jung thought that Si was the weird one. I think Ni is a little weirder.

But direction really belongs to Fi, in my humble opinion. Fe always seems to hinder progress to me, until Fe decides to get the whole party to go along, which takes time because it loves to organize people according to its own principles; which aren't necessarily wrong, but I just simply don't like being obligated.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I'm not sure how your statement is relevant to my comment ? The point I was making is ......even if everyone of a high IQ used cannabis.....it would not mean that the majority of cannabis users have a high IQ.

Another point that I think is relevant to the discussion is......not everyone of a high IQ is an industrious and productive citizen. And irrespective of whether cannabis use is a contributing factor to that lack or not....the conclusion of the article could still be true.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy

I'm not sure how your statement is relevant to my comment ? The point I was making is ......even if everyone of a high IQ used cannabis.....it would not mean that the majority of cannabis users have a high IQ.

Another point that I think is relevant to the discussion is......not everyone of a high IQ is an industrious and productive citizen. And irrespective of whether cannabis use is a contributing factor to that lack or not....the conclusion of the article could still be true.

How can you not understand that if higher I.Q. makes it more likely that one will puff the magic Dragon, it is likely that Dragons are being slain by people with a higher I.Q.?

That's not my contention at all, but that is what the research is attempting to imply.

That's why this whole thread...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

Further to TarzanBeta's comments, I would add the following. You assert that not all persons of a high I.Q. are productive members of society. That is very true. Some of them are of such high I.Q. that they simply cannot operate on such a mundane level as to consider their contribution to society, because society is a small concept, and the universe, the thing they are actually interested in, is far larger. However, what you may not be aware of, is that those who can think ten revolutionary thoughts at once, often turn to cannabis in order to slow their minds down to a rate which allows them to make sense of the mundane things.

You see, for someone of prodigious and extensive intellect, the comings and goings of the world and the people on it are not very interesting. Boiled down, it is a series of individuals making old mistakes, despite having the instruction booklet which is history, to show them the folly of actions they might take. Some people make those mistakes despite having read the history which explains how stupid a given action might be. This can be, to a significant intellect, a staggeringly tedious thing to witness, leave alone actually interact with. It can even be frustrating to the point where some of these unusually intelligent individuals, might find themselves prone to suicidal thoughts, because they are aware that unless the regular citizen ceases making avoidable mistakes, all the work of someone of unimaginable power of the mind, would be for nothing, undone in heartbeats by a dullard.

And so, they turn to cannabis, because if they do, the moment they are in attains a relevance that it may have lacked before. The small, mundane things in life do not seem so tedious as they might have in an unmodified mind frame. What I am saying to you is that in fact, some of the people who you call "not productive members of society" become a great deal more able to engage with the mundane requirement for them to contribute something basic to the society they live in, when they are under the effects of cannabis, than if they are not.

God knows there are some jobs that one might do on this planet, which are so utterly, mind buggeringly lacking in intellectual fulfillment, that I could well understand someone smoking some cannabis and then perhaps topping it off with a quarter of a bottle of spirits, in order to do the thing without tearing ones hair out in absolute despair at the stupidity which is being expressed by every individual one encounters during the working day.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Why am I not surprised?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: HarryJoy

Further to TarzanBeta's comments, I would add the following. You assert that not all persons of a high I.Q. are productive members of society. That is very true. Some of them are of such high I.Q. that they simply cannot operate on such a mundane level as to consider their contribution to society, because society is a small concept, and the universe, the thing they are actually interested in, is far larger. However, what you may not be aware of, is that those who can think ten revolutionary thoughts at once, often turn to cannabis in order to slow their minds down to a rate which allows them to make sense of the mundane things.

You see, for someone of prodigious and extensive intellect, the comings and goings of the world and the people on it are not very interesting. Boiled down, it is a series of individuals making old mistakes, despite having the instruction booklet which is history, to show them the folly of actions they might take. Some people make those mistakes despite having read the history which explains how stupid a given action might be. This can be, to a significant intellect, a staggeringly tedious thing to witness, leave alone actually interact with. It can even be frustrating to the point where some of these unusually intelligent individuals, might find themselves prone to suicidal thoughts, because they are aware that unless the regular citizen ceases making avoidable mistakes, all the work of someone of unimaginable power of the mind, would be for nothing, undone in heartbeats by a dullard.

And so, they turn to cannabis, because if they do, the moment they are in attains a relevance that it may have lacked before. The small, mundane things in life do not seem so tedious as they might have in an unmodified mind frame. What I am saying to you is that in fact, some of the people who you call "not productive members of society" become a great deal more able to engage with the mundane requirement for them to contribute something basic to the society they live in, when they are under the effects of cannabis, than if they are not.

God knows there are some jobs that one might do on this planet, which are so utterly, mind buggeringly lacking in intellectual fulfillment, that I could well understand someone smoking some cannabis and then perhaps topping it off with a quarter of a bottle of spirits, in order to do the thing without tearing ones hair out in absolute despair at the stupidity which is being expressed by every individual one encounters during the working day.

This is another comment I would applause. Deadly accurate.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

But that ISN'T what it is saying. It's saying that high IQ correlates higher with wanting to smoke pot. Not that ONLY high IQ people smoke pot. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but this study puts a dagger in the myth that smoking pot leads to being dumb or is ONLY the pursuit of dumb people.
edit on 18-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

But that ISN'T what it is saying. It's saying that high IQ correlates higher with wanting to smoke pot. Not that ONLY high IQ people smoke pot. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but this study puts a dagger in the myth that smoking pot leads to being dumb or is ONLY the pursuit of dumb people.

We agree on something for once. Except I don't think it's a dagger... It's more like a plastic fork.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join