It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says People With Higher IQ's Are More Likely To Use Cannabis

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Double post....
edit on 15/5/2017 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I agree with the article.
I have a "HIGH" IQ in the 160's and smoking the herb slows my brain down to normal levels.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This kinda backs up what I've said for many years and isn't limited to cannabis....

"It's not what you do to the mind, it's the mind that you do it to".

All hail mother nature.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I think of the people I have met and never tried weed. Religious conservatives; authoritarian folks like cops Trump and OCD types. Probably has a lot to do with risk taking as well since these people have fear with God,jail or themselves.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Isn't it just that most people unless they live in a dictatorship have tried weed by the time they're thirty?
I mean really?

I know dozens of people who've never tried it even once. I will say that most of them, in my opinion, should...and often. The demonization of bud is actually quite effective and successful, even now.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Selling weed in HS taught me everything I needed to know about running my businesses today. I don't drink for the most part, and my businesses make me money. I also have almost 0 turnover in employees, because they don't worry about failing a test. Conversely, I fired 3 people this year so far after they called in, but were posting to facewad their previous night bar exploits.(Dumb ass millennia kids,lmao) The worst crime I ever committed medicated was Eating the grandkids Easter candy.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yeah, except for the dolts who truly believe their brain will fry like an egg on a frying pan if they take a few hits.

Hence the IQ correlation.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I would say that it's more likely that children with higher IQs have what are called Dabrowskis over-excitabilities meaning they tend to get overstimulated in one or more sensory areas.

Such individuals may end up trying to pot to reduce that hypersensitivity.

It's also true that people with higher IQs also tend to have a harder time socially fitting in. Certain personality and emotional profiles are more disposed toward drug use as a result.

It has much less to do with being smarter than you think and everything to do with seeking relief and not always in a healthy way.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I wana say no kidding ya think
Normaly I tell people it's not stupid stoners most of them are that way no drugs needed

Smoking eases my mind and let's me sleep I went from 18 to 30 not smoking to appease the law and what I can say is there is no alternative no prescription that can do that ... so I spent 12 long years drinking

I also know quite a fyew people with high iq and some don't smoke ... some are sober some do far worse and some just drink ... oddly all of them have rather normal lives ... well odd if u think the only way to live is sober ...

It really is the person
I'm not the least bit surprised the iq connection but now we should ask if this is drugs in general or just caniboids

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Sorry to break it to you, but you do sound dumb when you’re high — and that's because you have temporary brain damage. See, there are also CB1 receptors in your hippocampus, the area of the brain that processes short-term memory and spatial navigation. Because you're over-stimulating this portion of the brain when you smoke pot, your neurons can’t function well and actually resemble brain damage. So when you forget what you’re talking about in the middle of a sentence, it’s not because you forgot, but because you never stored what you were saying in your short-term memory.

mic.com...

It makes me think of what People would feel like if they were told eat all the cake and ice cream you want it's great for your body and brain!! High IQ's should be able to figure out when they are being played. It is just another Floride only this time a choice.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix

Isn't it just that most people unless they live in a dictatorship have tried weed by the time they're thirty?
I mean really?

Well in North Korea (which is a dictatorship of the highest degree) they are totally cool with the consumption of cannabis. I also would not say that is true, I believe more people are open minded about cannabis consumption than those that have actually tried it and furthermore stuck with it. Some people only ever did it to "be cool" or fit in to be social.

The status of cannabis in North Korea is unclear due to the lack of sources available to the outside world, with some observers stating that cannabis is effectively legal, or at least tolerated, in the country and others arguing that this is a misapprehension and that marijuana is illegal in the country.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Smoke it, drink it or eat it!

Chill my bros!!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

I'm not saying there's nothing to the study. My own experience with people who were partaking was that they were college educated. But that was just my crowd. I never put the two together.

College educated does not equal high IQ.

My experience is the people who used it went on to not graduate high school and now work at a gas station and still live with their parents.

Your experience is your own. This is why there are medical studies. To disprove the " Well it didnt happen to me" reasoning

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Not saying I'm high IQ but, I'm highly analytical in my daily life...it allows me to shut off that part of my brain and it almost instantly opens up a more creative side.

When I crave that part of my mind and need to turn off the analyzing for a bit, it's a remarkable difference.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Having a high IQ doesn`t equal being smart so the stupid stoner label could still be applied to people with high IQ`s

how smart is it to use an illegal drug and risk getting a criminal record or even going to jail?

what good is their high IQ going to do them when they are working at McDonalds flipping burgers because nobody else will hire them due to having a criminal record for illegal drug use and possession?

I suppose they could move to California and get a job as a college professor,i hear California colleges aren`t very picky about who they hire,but a government job would be out of the question for a convicted drug offender.,no matter how high their IQ is.

I have known 2 Geniuses in my life that I know of. One committed murder, the other was a wife and child abuser his whole life.
The upper crust in Sacrament business and government that I have known all use coc aine too bunch of losers pass it around at their high end partied like beer.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
This explains why I'm so stupid!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: Krazysh0t

gambling with your future isn`t conducive to a "willingness to live life to the fullest" which is what the original quote was.

in fact I would say that gambling with your future demonstrates an unwillingness to live life to the fullest.

I'm a gambler and give me a table full of aggressive conservative drunks any day.

I won't play with stoners...they think to much and slow down play.

Live life to the fullest and play high/low Omaha and actually see if you have any cajones.

Facts

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I would also argue that higher iq's tend to be more empathetic minds. They have the cognizance to feel more than the average human. Thus things like depression and anxiety are almost two or three fold for that person. Thus cannibus can turn off the extra negative thinking. Allowing for more peaceful or serine thoughts.

I speak from experience here on this one, though its only my own experience. Managing stress on a daily basis is helped and mitigated by cannibus. I cant say the same for alcohol.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulwaxer

Awesome thread! You just sollidified my own long-time angle on this subject.

soul

why

An IQ score doesn't measure your practical intelligence: knowing how to make things work, says Richard Nisbett, a professor of psychology at the University of Michigan. It doesn't measure your creativity. It doesn't measure your curiosity.

www.cnn.com...

Terman concluded that “intellect and achievement are far from perfectly correlated”. Nor did their smarts endow personal happiness. Over the course of their lives, levels of divorce, alcoholism and suicide were about the same as the national average.

www.bbc.com...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

I mean really?

I know dozens of people who've never tried it even once. I will say that most of them, in my opinion, should...and often. The demonization of bud is actually quite effective and successful, even now.

I agree...

The people that need it the most, use it the least.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join