It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Says People With Higher IQ's Are More Likely To Use Cannabis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Contrary to conventional wisdom being stupid doesn't make you smart.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Self proclaimed-high functioning-high IQ cannabis user checking in.

As an artist, cannabis boosts my focus and creativity substantially.

I don't live in my momma's basement either.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Thanks.
Of my friends the very few who used were college educated and pretty damn smart. Some are in government now. One is a professor at a SUNY campus.
There are people who used who just stalled out in life of course.
This study shows there's another side to the coin.

And yes you are entirely correct not everyone who goes to college has a high IQ but I'm betting even fewer go who have a low IQ.
It's probably safe to say that college is the higher end of average but you don't need to be a genius. Peace.
edit on 5152017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I work a consulting/strategy based IT job, that primarily supports the aerospace industry, and I smoke everyday (all day everyday). I am what you would call a "functional stoner"... it also helps me with my crohn's

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

This really isn't surprising but it's nice to see confirmation from a study with a decently large group of participants. I agree with the authors on these points 100%:

Cannabis use, in particular, could also be popular among people with high IQs because the plant itself simply isn’t harmful and can be seen as a way to enhance certain mental processes. The authors also believe that the boredom that many gifted children experience may be another reason why pot use is likely.

I would add that there's a role in enhancing the appreciation of many forms of art, not least of which music. There's also a contribution in terms of facilitating social interactions (something some nerds have difficulty with).

In my experience, the trends extend into middle age and probably will continue right through into old age. I don't think anyone in IT was exactly shocked a few years ago when the FBI announced that they were having trouble hiring comp sec pros because not enough of the candidates could pass a piss test.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Having spent some time working in drug rehab, I, also, have seen high IQ types using drugs to shut that 'non-stop' mind down.

Booze was the preferred and accepted means in the day.

The problem, IMO, is a high IQ'ed individual has the ability to 'rationalize
' otherwise irrational impulses and justify them.

Every sword has two edges and 'high IQ' is, apparently, no exception.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Not at $400. 00 an ounce.
I have French perfume that costs less.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Awesome thread! You just sollidified my own long-time angle on this subject.

soul

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
a reply to: InTheLight

Hopefully, these higher IQ people with anxiety disorders will do their research first because studies prove that high level CBD medical marijuana is what will be an effective treatment.

In my experience people that are using for therapeutic/holistic purposes know whats what and aren't using that Mexican cartel grown dirt garbage. I mean really, who buys dirt these days?

My point was to point out CBD vs. THC in self-medicating for anxiety disorders or treating stress. But, personal reactions may vary depending upon many factors, all I am saying, is keep yourself informed.

Those who’ve experienced paranoia and panic attacks while smoking pot may be wondering what they’re doing wrong; shouldn’t the drug relieve their anxiety, too? But other studies have pointed to something totally different. Marijuana has been linked to psychosis and its ability to induce anxiety, rather than cure it. The marijuana-psychosis link has been explored quite a bit. One study found that weed had similar effects on people’s minds as schizophrenia — an inability to filter out certain stimuli, triggering hallucinations, and a sense of heightened significance (those "I just realized what the meaning of life is" moments).

Ultimately, it’s hard to say whether marijuana would have therapeutic effects on someone suffering from anxiety; every person reacts differently to it. One study found that people who had a tendency to have panic disorders were more likely to experience worse anxiety when smoking weed. And smoking a joint certainly won’t solve issues that are deep-rooted in your psyche that may best be solved with behavioral therapy.

www.medicaldaily.com...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Having a high IQ doesn`t equal being smart so the stupid stoner label could still be applied to people with high IQ`s

how smart is it to use an illegal drug and risk getting a criminal record or even going to jail?

what good is their high IQ going to do them when they are working at McDonalds flipping burgers because nobody else will hire them due to having a criminal record for illegal drug use and possession?

I suppose they could move to California and get a job as a college professor,i hear California colleges aren`t very picky about who they hire,but a government job would be out of the question for a convicted drug offender.,no matter how high their IQ is.

You could think about that both ways..

How smart is it to follow a nonsensical law that was based on racism and greed? Cannabis is one of the things that open people's eyes up to how misguided it is to follow what the law says, just because it's a "law".

The majority of people who use where it's illegal don't go to jail. You only hear about the people who get caught, and that's a very small percentage of actual users, of anything.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

how smart is it to use an illegal drug and risk getting a criminal record or even going to jail?

That depends on how willing you are to live life to the fullest or how willing you are to live in fear of the oppressive boot heel that is firmly pressed against your neck while lying to you and telling you that it is for your own good. As I mentioned earlier some actions are well worth the associated risk that is attached.

Cannabis doesn't ruin your life, a broken and corrupt legal system does that well enough though.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What about the problem it can cause to short term memory. Also what about the problems it can cause to short term memory. I'm told it can also cause problems with short term memory.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I've heard this before. Smarter people tend to be more curious so they want to try it out to see what its like. It's nice to see scientific confirmation of this.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Not at $400. 00 an ounce.
I have French perfume that costs less.

Well just remember you get what you pay for.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Similar studies were done in the 1970's with the same results.
your friends just told you bit was a study. Lol.
Just kidding Angel...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
What about the problem it can cause to short term memory. Also what about the problems it can cause to short term memory. I'm told it can also cause problems with short term memory.

Again for most that partake that is an acceptable risk and fairly benign in the grand scope of things. There have also been studies that show cannabis can help prevent Alzheimer's, oh the irony.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: Sillyolme
I'm not saying there's nothing to the study. My own experience with people who were partaking was that they were college educated. But that was just my crowd. I never put the two together.

College educated does not equal high IQ.

My experience is the people who used it went on to not graduate high school and now work at a gas station and still live with their parents.

I would wager that there are quite a few people that you know currently that smoke pot unknown to you and are successful while doing it.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So their IQ may have Actually increased from smoking cannabis quite possibly?!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Again for most that partake that is an acceptable risk and fairly benign in the grand scope of things. There have also been studies that show cannabis can help prevent Alzheimer's, oh the irony.

Yeah but what about the problems with short te.....uhm.....short terrrrrr............sorry what was that question again?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yeah but what about the problems with short te.....uhm.....short terrrrrr............sorry what was that question again?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join