It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trumpgate , has the President been secretly recording his meetings ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Agreed, and as someone with no dog in the fight I don't criticise Trump if he did.
I'd record everything if I was working in the snaky world of top level politics.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Saying I have what we said recorded in case you lie is hard to twist any other way.
I consider that a gross oversimplification of the events in this case to the point that I'm not sure I follow you. Trump appears to be claiming to both have and not have these secret recordings. Which is it?
edit on 5/13/2017 by Devino because: context

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Agreed, and as someone with no dog in the fight I don't criticise Trump if he did.
I'd record everything if I was working in the snaky world of top level politics.
Then if these supposed tapes get subpoenaed you would have no problem handing them over? For some reason I fear things will not be that easy.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It worked right. Comey now refuses to testify because he would be lying under oath and push the dumb Russian narrative.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: amfirst1

Apparently Comey has said he will testify before Intelligence Committee but only if it's public , either he has something to say or more likely he wants to hide behind his security oaths.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

Maybe Trump was careful and said nothing he can't explain away.
I'd be snaky and shady as # with my words if I was recording them with a view to trapping someone else.
Only a fool wouldn't.
edit on 13.5.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Who gives a rats ass about Comey, he was appointed by Obama when he fired the last one, end of story....

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Devino

Saying I have what we said recorded in case you lie is hard to twist any other way.
I consider that a gross oversimplification of the events in this case to the point that I'm not sure I follow you. Trump appears to be claiming to both have and not have these secret recordings. Which is it?

He never claimed he did. Can you show me where he claimed he did in fact tape things?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

He never claimed he did. Can you show me where he claimed he did in fact tape things?
He has implied that recordings may exist, which is the point of the entire thread.
Did you read the OP linked article?

“James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter.
Source-NYTimes
So which is it, just another wild accusation made on twitter by Trump or an implication that such tapes exist?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

He has implied that recordings may exist, which is the point of the entire thread.
Did you read the OP linked article?

“James Comey better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter.
Source-NYTimes
So which is it, just another wild accusation made on twitter by Trump or an implication that such tapes exist?

Nowhere there does he claim to have tapes. That's what you said he claimed.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

a reply to: TheScale

presidents have been recording meetings going back more then half a century. i thought it was pretty common knowledge at this point that the entire whitehouse has been mic'd up for decades.
Are you sure?

No president in the past 40 years has been known to regularly tape his phone calls or meetings because, among other reasons, the recordings could be subpoenaed by investigators as they were during the Watergate investigation that ultimately forced President Richard M. Nixon to resign.
OP Source

a reply to: TheScale
Both of your links,
white house recordings
and
Presidential recording program
deal with recordings between 1940-1973 and seem to end with Watergate.
Got any other sources?

As for the OP, I suppose this is the source of the story.

President Trump on Friday warned James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director whom he fired this week, against leaking anything negative about him, saying that Mr. Comey “better hope” that there are no secret tapes of their conversations that the president could use in retaliation.

Mr. Trump chose not to clarify when asked later in the day by Fox News if there were tapes of conversations.
This is either another bluff by Trump or a very stupid move. If there are tapes made by Trump then they can be subpoenaed and then perhaps the OP is correct that this may parallel Watergate.

its not my job to find every source and recording to prove the point. those links show just how far back in history this has been happening. visit a few presidential libraries, search around the net for recordings. you might be surprised at what youll find. heres a newer one for you

Reagan recordings

edit on 13-5-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Devino

Maybe Trump was careful and said nothing he can't explain away.
I'd be snaky and shady as # with my words if I was recording them with a view to trapping someone else.
Only a fool wouldn't.

Until your recordings get subponead and the court gets to hear you attempting to entrap someone else. Worse yet, they have a recording of you doing so.

Be clear, be concise, communicate well... then if someone lies you have a good defense against it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

From my perspective, it's a hollow threat. I don't think he has such recordings (but he likes to use the threat as punishment.) I think that if they were real and if they exist and if they were played, that they would not reveal anything detrimental to Comey.. and might actually support some of the speculation about the situation.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Oh absolutely agreed, it is why one must be careful while recording conversations.
Not impossible though, and well within the abilities of an established billionaire businessman.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

From my perspective, it's a hollow threat. I don't think he has such recordings (but he likes to use the threat as punishment.) I think that if they were real and if they exist and if they were played, that they would not reveal anything detrimental to Comey.. and might actually support some of the speculation about the situation.

and on the flip side they could backup everything the president is claiming. without the recordings all these claims are, are assumptions with zero proof to backup why u reached that conclusion other then letting your bias guide you.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The parallels between Trump and Nixon have been circled for a while now but following The Donald's tweet from yesterday he has seemingly added a new one ... Tapes.
In what is being seen as a threat to ousted FBI James Comey the president tweeted...

James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!
twitter.com...

It seems the President has form for recording his meetings in his business life so the chances are he has carried this behavior on to his Presidency , it's the kind of thing you'd expect from a paranoid man who trusts on one and for me Trump fits that bill.

The suggestion that the president may be surreptitiously recording his meetings or telephone calls added a twist at the end of a week that roiled Washington. The president and his spokesman later refused to say whether he tapes his visitors, something Mr. Trump was suspected of doing when he was in business in New York.

Mr. Trump chose not to clarify when asked later in the day by Fox News if there were tapes of conversations. “That I can’t talk about. I won’t talk about it,” he said. “All I want is for Comey to be honest.”
www.nytimes.com...

Democrats on the House judiciary and oversight committees have now written to the White House requesting copies of any tapes should they exist , the White House hasn't said they don't exist so it remains to be seen where this story will go.

I don't know about where such convos may have happened, but that can be highly illegal depending on the state or location. For example, in New York secretly recording someone in a private place can be a felony, and violates the Rico act. However, I've heard some other states it can be legal.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: gortex
The parallels between Trump and Nixon have been circled for a while now but following The Donald's tweet from yesterday he has seemingly added a new one ... Tapes.
In what is being seen as a threat to ousted FBI James Comey the president tweeted...

James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!
twitter.com...

It seems the President has form for recording his meetings in his business life so the chances are he has carried this behavior on to his Presidency , it's the kind of thing you'd expect from a paranoid man who trusts on one and for me Trump fits that bill.

The suggestion that the president may be surreptitiously recording his meetings or telephone calls added a twist at the end of a week that roiled Washington. The president and his spokesman later refused to say whether he tapes his visitors, something Mr. Trump was suspected of doing when he was in business in New York.

Mr. Trump chose not to clarify when asked later in the day by Fox News if there were tapes of conversations. “That I can’t talk about. I won’t talk about it,” he said. “All I want is for Comey to be honest.”
www.nytimes.com...

Democrats on the House judiciary and oversight committees have now written to the White House requesting copies of any tapes should they exist , the White House hasn't said they don't exist so it remains to be seen where this story will go.

I don't know about where such convos may have happened, but that can be highly illegal depending on the state or location. For example, in New York secretly recording someone in a private place can be a felony, and violates the Rico act. However, I've heard some other states it can be legal.

in the white house they have a one party system. as long as one person agrees to it then its legal.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Presidents have been recording their meetings since Nixon so I have a hard time understanding how this makes Trump paranoid.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Nowhere there does he claim to have tapes. That's what you said he claimed.
I've never made such a claim.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
a reply to: JinMI

source

Where the poster should have gone.

But to prevent your piss-poor attempt to discredit the facts:

source

Discredit? Where?

Source your cite. Why can you not grasp that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join