It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Moon stop moving during Full Solar Eclipse?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I was watching some footage of solar eclipses and noticed that the moon appears to stop moving for minutes once it completely covers the sun.

You see how it closes that gap in 1.5 min, and then just sits there for 2 mins before the sun pops out on the other side. How is this possible? Shouldn't it come out on the other side almost immediately? These bodies are supposed to be virtually the same apparant size are they not?

Timelapse of solar eclipse,

See the speed at which it moves in and then just stops before taking off again?

Does the moon stop moving, or the Earth, or both?

Maybe I am missing something obvious here because I see no mention of this problem anywhere.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Nah! it's just people that stop moving.
Or, if you like, everything is moving.
edit on 8-5-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
2 seconds on google about eclipses explains the phenomenon in detail , w videos even!

No it doesn't stop but there is a bit of synchronizing, hence the eclipse in the first place

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Why not post your findings?

No it doesn't stop but there is a bit of synchronizing, hence the eclipse in the first place

What do you mean "synchronizing hence the eclipse"? They are crossing virtual paths, why would they suddenly be in sync for two minutes?
edit on 8-5-2017 by WeirdScience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WeirdScience

Because google is your friend. You should have done some research before posting your thread.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Nah, Earth, Sun, Moon and Stars all continue in their orbits (think about what forces it would require to stop something with the mass of the Moon).

The Moon doesn't make a point shadow on the Earth, it's shadow is quite a large circle. While we are standing in the shadow, we see the Moon as totally obscuring the Sun (as the shadow sweeps across the surface of the Earth). When we come out of the shadow, we see the Sun beginning to peep past the edge of the Moon.

edit on 8/5/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Like I said, I couldn't find anything that discusses this specific observation. Please enlighten me.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The Moon doesn't make a point shadow on the Earth, it's shadow is quite a large circle. While we are standing in the shadow, we see the Moon as totally obscuring the Sun (as the shadow sweeps across the surface of the Earth). When we come out of the shadow, we see the Sun beginning to peep past the edge of the Moon.

The shadow of the moon on the Earth has nothing to do with it, at all. The only way the moon can obscure the sun in the sky for so long is if it stops moving. You see the speed at which it comes in and goes out again. Why does it stand still in the middle.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The eclipse is a gradual thing. the moon will continue its orbit and slowly start to shade the sun, you really won't be able to notice, unless you look directly at it until its mostly covered. Then you will notice it start to darken, then when it fully covers the sun it will become dark and only the corona of the sun will be visible, this will last only a few minutes as the moon continues to orbit, and then slowly the sun will begin to be visible again. The entire eclipse may last a couple of hours, but the total eclipse phase a few minutes.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Obviously you're wrong.....why would you think it stops?

#science
#google
#pleasedontturnintoaflatearththread

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ofnoaccount

Both the vids I posted show that there is a completely obvious difference in speed of the moon covering the moon and keeping it covered. The big difference being the moon not moving for 2 mins during full eclipse........

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

If you think about it, the reason for MOST of the apparent motion of the Sun and moon as seen from earth is due to the Earth's rotation. So there is a synchronization between the apparent movement "westward" of the Sun and the apparent movement of the Moon caused by the rotating Earth.

However, because the Moon is also revolving around the Earth, there is also a small movement of the Moon (relative to the Sun) toward the "East" direction along it's path in the sky. The motion is slow enough that there is approximately 2 minutes of totality before the Moon moves eastward (again, relative to the Sun) and the Sunlight begins to emerge

I mean, the total eclipse happens at a different time for everyone watching along the path of the eclipse, so it certainly doesn't "stop" during totality. If it stopped for one person watching during totality in -- say, for example -- Portugal, then that means at that same moment it would appear to stop before totality ever happens in western Spain. But then if the moon later stopped during totality in western Spain, then at THAT same moment, it would appear stop before totality in eastern Spain -- and so on and so on through France, then Germany, and points east.. Put that all together, and suddenly you have a Moon that doesn't appear to be moving at all, anytime leading up to and after an eclipse.

edit on 8/5/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I though you had the info to debunk this. You obviously got nothing.

#science #google #pleasedontturnintoaflatearththread

Can you just back up your claims? Thank you.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Are you making this up on the spot or is there any scientific literature on this that you are getting this from.

I mean, the total eclipse happens at a different time for everyone watching along the path of the eclipse, so it certainly doesn't "stop" during totality.

I am not really suggesting that it stops, just using it to point out that there is something wrong here.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeirdScience
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Are you making this up on the spot or is there any scientific literature on this that you are getting this from.

I mean, the total eclipse happens at a different time for everyone watching along the path of the eclipse, so it certainly doesn't "stop" during totality.

I am not really suggesting that it stops, just using it to point out that there is something wrong here.

Kid....your reaching a level of stupid that just can't be possible....Google.com is a great start, key words would include: ellipse, moon orbiting, theory, gravitational rotation, etc. Maybe ask google a question. Your just being lazy and idc to help you.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Why don't you just google "how eclipses work"

Or are you just making a troll thread to combat anyone that replies....several people have offered you information....

I suggested google, I'm at work on my phone right now....

And if I'm honest? Don't feel obliged to go search out all the links for scientific facts , for someone who has spent more time replying to, and creating this thread.....than the time it would have taken to get the answer from google....

Sorry I left my spoon back at the house.....

edit on 5/8/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Wow people are arrogant. Like I said, I couldn't find anything that discusses this specific observation.

If this info is widely available then please point me towards it.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Kid....

Is that you Vegeta? From Dragonball? I used to like that stuff back when I actually was a kid......

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here is a link at, what I believe to be, your grade level.
What Is an Eclipse?

Try reading it, thoroughly, and following all the reference links at the bottom of the page. Then, come back if you have further questions.

edit on 5/8/2017 by Krakatoa because: punctuation fix

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Does it explain why it appears to stand still for two minutes?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join