It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Mayor Adds Diet Drinks to His Soda Tax ‘To Tackle White Privilege’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Surely taxation should be up to the state unless you are a supporter of the 16th ammendment?

Not taxation based on race. The 16'th allows income tax, and that has nothing to do with states collecting taxes for other reasons. A tax aimed at whites, to give to blacks, is racist. If the black students aren't reading as well, throwing more money at the problem won't fix it. How about addressing why, instead? Oh, that's right; we can't do that, because it would be "racist" to point out that ebonics is part of the problem.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Sure because it lack of funding that is causing non-whites to do poorly in school. Why didn't they figure this out before?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Sounds a #ing nightmare in the US, the black white thing is not mirrored in my experience in the UK.
Crim's/gangs here are mainly colour blind and doing business for profit.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Why don't they just present a white tax?
That's basically all he's trying to do anyways.
10% tax on everything a white person buys.
Tyrone will still not be able to read but at least whites get punished.

Wonder if I identify as black I'll be exempt? Hhmmm.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Why don't they just present a white tax?
That's basically all he's trying to do anyways.
10% tax on everything a white person buys.
Tyrone will still not be able to read but at least whites get punished.

Wonder if I identify as black I'll be exempt? Hhmmm.

If you "self-identified" as a black transsexual with a club foot they'd probably make YOU mayor!

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: PepeTalk

The last time I checked white people ate friend chicken also.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It's not the Black Community, it's idiots within it. The rest are going "WTF is this (bleep)?", as they're getting ready to go to work. They buy diet soda, too...

Don't generalize, it helps no one.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jkm1864

The member said nothing about race when raising fried chicken as an obesity issue.
Fact is too much KFC and expect to be fat.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You're quite correct, its a nightmare alright. And with each passing year, it only gets worse. And with each passing year, those who are financially able, self-segregate to dodge the hate. White flight is an engine of economic recovery for home builders and developers. But, no sooner than the whites flee ever further from the rot, the Federal gov't builds out Section 8 rent-assist apartments and buses in the trouble makers and within 10 to 15 years, the schools are shot and houses are losing value........so they sell their houses, hopefully at a break even and move 34 miles further out. And only to have to do it again, 10 years later.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: jimmyx

I agree, but let's take away all of the junk food for food stamps and not allow anything with added sugars.

Oh now that *is* going too far, you know.

If they did that, then people would have to learn how to cook because the only way to do that would be to buy actual whole food and cook it.

Seriously. Have you really tried shopping processed foods without added sweeteners? It's sort of depressing. (Not that I am actually against your idea ... but sarcasm compels me you know.
)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The bigotry and racism in this thread is just unbelievable.

The fear of "different people" being displayed here is just sad.

You people realize how you're being played by this super conservative right wing propaganda, right??? It should be obvious by now how they like to tweak and spin some things into something to scare "White People."

It's the same game plan as they've always had. It used to be the "Black man is going to rape your white women". Now it's just "Black people taking your White Money/Privilege." You're so being baited and taking the bait more and more.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Not just ebonics, but also the reality that black culture as a whole doesn't value reading like white culture tends to. They've done studies that show that from poor to even very wealthy black families, there will be less reading material around the house and parents are less inclined to read to their children by contrast with white where from very poor to very wealthy, there are almost always at least *some* books in the house and parents place far more value on literacy activities like reading to their children.

It has an impact, that difference in cultural value.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Do you have white privilege?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sometimes, sure.

Not all the time, but I'm poor too so that still puts me in a questionable position to some. But overall being white has certainly made some door open easier at times.

There are other ways to discriminate as well that I've been subjected to as well. It depends on the location and the situation.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Yeah, I thought so. No wonder this thread has you so upset.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh, do please enlighten me on what you mean by that.

I do love an armchair shrink telling me about myself when they offer.

What makes you think you even know what upsets me anyway?? Because what is most upsetting is the fact that you're all being played by a bunch of Right Wing Spin Doctors who are only there to maximize your already biased and misplaced anger and fear.

But since you think you know so much why don't you elaborate on that last statement???

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
REPARATIONS!!!

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Ok, then I say we tax all the states that get snow.

It's racist afterall, right?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, I thought so. No wonder this thread has you so upset.

Not going to explain that comment I see. Well, that was expected. It's never an easy thing to explain your own biased perspective in a reasonable way. Much easier to just make such a vague comment and leave it open to mean whatever anyone wants it to mean and leave it like that, isn't it??

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Democrats, and the left, in general have seriously lost the plot.

Democrats, and the left, in general have seriously lost their minds

There , corrected a bit....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join