It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Mayor Adds Diet Drinks to His Soda Tax ‘To Tackle White Privilege’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Is there any chance at all that these kinds of discriminatory absurdities will be stopped before an outright ban on "whiteness" is imposed in America?

Democrats, and the left, in general have seriously lost the plot.

The mayor of Seattle has altered the rules of his proposed soda tax — which would fund education for minorities–to include diet drinks because affluent white people tend to consume them more.

The Mayor claimed the tax would bring $16 million in revenue that would be spent on education programs aimed at reducing disparities between the city’s white students and students of color.

But the mayor has updated the plan after the staff of the mayor’s office told him that the tax would actually disproportionately fall on poor minorities, who have higher rates of soda consumption than white residents.

According to Reason, taxing diet drinks has become “an issue of equality” to the mayor because they more likely to be consumed by “upper middle class white people” and therefore must be taxed as a way to fight “white privileged institutionalized racism.”

Why stop at diet soda?

1) Throw a big tax on hockey game tickets
2) Impose a levy on golf Green Fees
3) Tax the heck out of Wienerschnitzel and Steak & Kidney Pie

What's next, taxes intended to help stomp out "toxic masculinity"...fines for committing inadvertent "micro aggressions"...special funding programs for non-whites-only "safe spaces"?

Man, how do politicians like this get relected?

To Be White in America is Now a Taxable Benefit

+13 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
UMMMMMMM isn't that discrimination?!?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
UMMMMMMM isn't that discrimination?!?

It is quite clearly intended to be a racist tax.

Should we expect the ACLU to seek an injunction against this order? I am not holding my breath.

I can hear the newest chant now..."White Lives are Taxable. White Lives are Taxable"

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Urgh, diet drinks, does anyone drink them, not sure how this is a tax on any particular group/race as when the diet drink is on the shelf anyone can purchase them, has there been a study somewhere which shows the racial breakdown of who drinks them.

I am a sucker for a full fat drink, never diet.

+5 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

It really is a shame the ACLU is so politically biased, especially when the left keep going further down the spiral of brutal obscenity / insanity.

+19 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Just go ahead and give white people an extra 25 percent income tax.
The 25 percent off the top plus the 25 percent in other taxes isn't enough.
Obviously I'm too privileged, with my working hard and all that. Give me more punishment. Those welfare folks need more free money for their child support checks.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
God dam white people cutting back on sugars. Conservative states should start taxing grape soda

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Lol, only in Murica!

+8 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
White privillege is a myth and i wonder why people push it so hard right now. This feels like a sinister scheme but the endgame is still a little bit unclear to me.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It's a shame all of the minority workers who work in soda distribution there are going to be out of a job with layoffs looming.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
as of 2012, 29,000,000 Americans had diabetes....it's not a right/left thing, it's a health thing, the CDC says that by 2050, 50% of Americans will be diabetic.....yeah, no problem with that, right?

+14 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Oh, please ... if they really wanted to tax white privilege, they'd tax ... Starbucks ...

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

You think?
I imagine fat people will still buy soda, they'll just pay more for it.
I'd be surprised if it affected sales in a noticeably significant way.

+2 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
as of 2012, 29,000,000 Americans had diabetes....it's not a right/left thing, it's a health thing, the CDC says that by 2050, 50% of Americans will be diabetic.....yeah, no problem with that, right?

So why would you tax diet soda? This is literally a leftist saying he's levying a tax on something mainly consumed by white people. According to your logic we should levy a tax on fried chicken

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Seattle Mayor while drinking a Diet Pepsi: "How in the aspartame am I going to get more funds! Darn it!"

(Glug...glug...)

"Aaaah... Buuurrp!"

Looks down at the can in his hand.

"Wait a minute... If I drink diet soda, other rich people probably do, too! I'll just make us all pay more and take what I need right off the top! YES YES YES! Pepsi, please!"

Meanwhile, in another rich person's house...

"What would you like to drink dear? We have coffee, tea, diet soda, juice..."

"Honey, water is fine. Besides, didn't you know aspartame is bad for you? That's what they use to sweeten diet sodas. From now on, please get Seltzer."

"Oh Lord, I had no idea. Sure thing, honey."

2 years later...

"Where is my funding?!"

"Well, sir, the poor people couldn't afford it, so they started drinking out of their taps. Should we tax bank accounts next?"

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

You think?
I imagine fat people will still buy soda, they'll just pay more for it.
I'd be surprised if it affected sales in a noticeably significant way.

They did it in Philadelphia and the exact scenario I laid out happened. Sales plunged and layoffs started happening. It's not rocket science. When you manipulate the value of a good and make its price artificially higher then the demand is going to fall and sales will decrease.

Sharp decreases in revenue = layoffs.
edit on 7-5-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Why stop at diet soda?
1) Throw a big tax on hockey game tickets
2) Impose a levy on golf Green Fees
3) Tax the heck out of Wienerschnitzel and Steak & Kidney Pie

No, no, you guys have got it all wrong! Tax sun screen! The higher the SPF, the higher the tax! Also, tanning creams and especially tanning salons!

+1 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Dear god in heaven.

Forgive me for I am about to sin.

Are you EFFING kidding me ?

There literally is a 'white' tax ?

They haf done gone full mentally challenged.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Did Philly tax the diet drinks as well?
If not maybe fat people switched to the cheaper aspartame options?
That could easily make a difference in comparison.

+9 more 
posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Its stupid things like this that turned be from being a supporter of the black community to one that despises it.

Things like this dont help racism they just spread it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join