It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovah’s Witnesses Banned by Russia’s Supreme Court After 'Extremist' Tag Is Upheld

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

(Newsweek.com)-Russia’s Supreme Court has declared Jehovah’s Witnesses an extremist organization, ordering its assets liquidated and banning all activities in the country, Russian state media reported Thursday. The ban will not come into force until after the group's appeal is heard. The ruling upholds a claim made by Russia’s Ministry of Justice.

www.newsweek.com...

Who knew?

I admit, they are pretty annoying when they show up on a weekend, all early at your door, but this is a bit much.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Oh well, at least they can say they tried. I guess people who do not like to fight in the Military are a threat to the current Russian way of life.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I grew up within this organization through parental indoctrination. Too young, no choice. My whole family on my mother's side were witnesses as well.
Never pursued its ideologies after junior high as the organization dismantled my family after they exiled my mother from being a regular member. They call it being "disfellowshipped". It meant my mother could still attend the meetings, but no one, not even our family members could talk to her which pretty much meant her children as well.

The only way back into the organization and the ability to once again converse and associate with your own family was to stop what ever you did wrong and then the elders would make a final determination on whether you are accepted back.

I lost YEARS away from my cousins, aunties, uncles, and grand parents, all because my mother was pursuing a relationship with a "non-member"...what they call a "worldly" person.

My mother's fault? I don't blame her....I used to, but I see what the organization can do, good and bad.

I might still have been a member except for the fact that they believe anyone who is not a witness will perish when Armageddon arrives.

Sorry, there are very GOOD people all over the world who are Christian as well, (or whatever belief) and I just don't agree with that.

I politely say no thanks and shut my door when they come around. They're not bad people, maybe a bit exceptionalistic and misguided.

To each their own.

edit on E30America/ChicagoWed, 26 Apr 2017 22:56:31 -05004pmWednesdayth10pm by EternalShadow because: add

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well I don't know about extremists, but they're definitely on a cult level, and deserve to be banned from the face of the Earth.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
Well I don't know about extremists, but they're definitely on a cult level, and deserve to be banned from the face of the Earth.

What do you mean by: banned from the face of the Earth?
Did you find out what really goes on behind them closed doors? You know, the ones with given power and unbelievalbe wealth that are the higher ups?

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
A so called religion that destroys families and hides crimes against children should be banned!

Russia allows many religions to operate in their country. This one they don't like and I can clearly see why.

I wish they were banned in my country.

P

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
What do you mean by: banned from the face of the Earth?
Did you find out what really goes on behind them closed doors?

Well honestly I wouldn't promote banning them from the face of te Earth, as a libertarian I don't believe in forcing anyone else to do things the way I think they should be done, unless they are impeding on the freedom of others.

I remember back around 2012 I had some witnesses come to my door with pamphlets about how the world was about to end and how I could save myself... it's stuff like that which puts them on a cult level, but they didn't force me into anything so I didn't really care.

If Russia wants to ban their organization then I can perfectly understand why they would do that even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I have to admit the world would be less annoying without them walking door to door spreading their propaganda.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I grew up within this organization through parental indoctrination. Too young, no choice. My whole family on my mother's side were witnesses as well.
Never pursued its ideologies after junior high as the organization dismantled my family after they exiled my mother from being a regular member. They call it being "disfellowshipped". It meant my mother could still attend the meetings, but no one, not even our family members could talk to her which pretty much meant her children as well.

The only way back into the organization and the ability to once again converse and associate with your own family was to stop what ever you did wrong and then the elders would make a final determination on whether you are accepted back.

I lost YEARS away from my cousins, aunties, uncles, and grand parents, all because my mother was pursuing a relationship with a "non-member"...what they call a "worldly" person.

My mother's fault? I don't blame her....I used to, but I see what the organization can do, good and bad.

I might still have been a member except for the fact that they believe anyone who is not a witness will perish when Armageddon arrives.

Sorry, there are very GOOD people all over the world who are Christian as well, (or whatever belief) and I just don't agree with that.

I politely say no thanks and shut my door when they come around. They're not bad people, maybe a bit exceptionalistic and misguided.

To each their own.

I agree. Misguided, and not healthy for those involved imo, but mostly they are trying to be decent folks. I grew up in a similar religion. (Am buddhist now)

They arent ISIS. For the most part, they lean pacifist.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Was reading earlier about this, a couple of days ago. They were banned because they are non-violent, refuse to fight and pledge allegiance to the state, like most main-stream religions will do.

Read about the British Embassy upset by it because now Jehovah's Witnesses will be put on the extremist list, over the 170,000 of them.

And they are really mad that they are going to have to vet peaceful citizens who are no threat to peace and security anywhere on earth. It is going to take manpower away from the real threat.

In fact, military officials in Russia also stated, in anonymity the tepidness of it. As ISIS and other terrorist networks are upset with Putin getting involved in Syria and helping them fight ISIS.

If the Russian Federation is going to put a lot of man-power on persecutting and locking up peaceful innocent law-abiding citizens, they take that man-power away from dealing with real threats to the people.

The world has sunken in to a state of utter insanity.

The Jehovah's Witnesses expected the verdict though. Read that they had evidence that the Russian Orthodox Church in cooperation with the State planted false evidence in the churches they attend, they have it on video, and ambassadors and other high officials all over the world have seen it. And the judge that ruled against them did not allow the evidence into the court.

In fact the Minister of Justice had absolutely 0 evidence for all of the charges they brought. It was a mock trial, and a travesty of justice.

Oh, and there was a letter-writing-campaign to send letters to high officials in Russia before the trial. It was estimated around 50-60 millions letters were personally sent to President Putin and the Minister of Justice from around 150 countries.

What they tried to do in private, is being exposed for all the world to see. I can see why they wanted to ban them. I mean those letter-writing extremists will kill 'em with their pens and ink!

I like how one blogger put it:

18 of the defense teams's motions instantly denied, for example, letting all know that videotaped evidence exonerating us would not be seen by the court. Embassy officials of other nations were able to see it, of course, as is everyone else, since it has been displayed for some time at jw.org. Their turn was to come, as the court also denied to hear testimony from them on the JW record.

The brothers were pleased, nonetheless, for the witness given, that six of our people provided clear, cogent testimony reflecting the true nature of our worship and work.

Toward the end, our people were able to remind the court that it was not really them before the Russian authorities. Rather, it was everyone, defense and prosecution alike, arguing before the Supreme Court of the universe.

Russian brothers gave assurance of their intentions to serve Jehovah steadfastly regardless of their new circumstances, and to do it with the Christian trademark of never returning evil for evil.

Moved by this broadcast, ISIS world headquarters rehearsed their own special broadcast to be made in the event they, too, should ever get into hot water with the Russians. They, too, tried to line up interviewees to upbuild their crew. They were thwarted in this, however, because any person that stepped forward was instantly blown full of holes by ISIS members with AK-47s.

This happened because ISIS is an extremist group.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
JW's are extremists?

Annoying? Yes. Extreme? Really? Huh...I'll have to think on this one a bit.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Voided response.
edit on 27-4-2017 by SR1TX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Jehovah Witnesses's are mostly inoffensive.

Russia's actions are based around autocracy and the threat to the existing religious order. The Ruissian judiciary is corrupt to the core.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
JW's are extremists?

Masters of deception ...

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZIPMATT

originally posted by: seagull
JW's are extremists?

Masters of deception ...

Indeed.

There was absolutely no evidence by the Minister of Justice. It was a complete sham trial. A mockery of justice.

One can think about all of the laws that were broken and the lies that were spewed against Jesus when he was put on trial and condemned to death unjustly.

That's exactly the way it was.

Religious leaders getting in bed with the political rulers to turn upon Jehovah's servant to have him killed.

There were many people that lied and slandered Jesus, not because he was bad. But because his conduct was fine and above reproach. And they do the same to his real followers.

What is interesting is that while they tried to do this in some dark alley, Jehovah made sure it was brough to light.

And millions of people who have never heard of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are now investigating the claims.

In fact millions of people around the world are visiting the website jw.org to see the extremist information being published, as it is all available there.

The world is getting a huge shock. Many people are opening their eyes to the truth because of this.

Satan must be cringing in rage.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a threat to its control and the country’s political stability - aha

Liquidated assets : the totals will be enormous , but who gets what then ? Can I have 10% please

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Liquidated assets : the totals will be enormous , but who gets what then ? Can I have 10% please

There is no doubt you will get everything you deserve.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Simple Turf war seeing that both religions accept that Jesus is the one begotten Son of God.

It seems that the Russian Orthodox Church are fighting over lost souls which is basically a sign of greed.

Well the Spirit of the Lord will not be in Russia anymore, only in a few sinless Russians at best.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: XeloE

There is no doubt you will get everything you deserve.

Can I have it now then ?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
No worse than the Mormons with the whole "knock knock, same ol' #"
Weren't both Prince and Michael Jackson JW's?
O.o

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
How are they less retarded than Scientology?

Tell me that, and maybe I will pretend to care.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join