It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone ever seen this in the sky?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I live about 90 miles south of Lake Michigan. For years I've seen something in the sky off & on, pointed it out to several people who've seen it.
It looks like a very bright star, but has ged/blue/green lights on the edge of it.
Looking at it through binoculars/telescope doesn't really show much more detail, so it must be far away, or very small.
As the evening progresses, it remains stationary (as proven by crosshairs in telescope lens), while skyscape (stars) move according to earth's rotation.
As the earth tilts during the seasons, it remains at or about the same place above the horizon, leading me to believe it is earth based, not astronomical.

it's south by southwest, about 7:00 if due north is 12:00, About 40 degrees above the horizon.

When I lived in Lake Village Indiana, it was about the rough heading of Peru/Grissom AFB, so thought it was something above that. Now, I live near Monticello, Indiana, and it is on the same heading, while Peru/Grissom AFB is directly east of me.

I've asked several people, including current military members, police officers I know, UFO-ologists, even Purdue astronomy instructors (not sure of exact title/class name). all save 1 active military person didn't know, 1 cop mentioned calls about it. The one military person was evasive and terse, attempted to change the subject.

Some suggestions I've gotten:

-----Surveillance drone. Self-debunked, as I don't think the USG did high-end surveillance much before 9/11, and Ive seen this thing since way before then. Besides, as someone who sometimes fishes all night, I've seen it in the sky from dusk till daylight. IDK what drone capabilities are, but 10-12 hours of stationary hover doesn't seem possible.

-----Weather Balloon. If it's at 40 degrees above horizon, and far away enough that binocs wont enlarge it much, then it has to be multiple miles high. I remember reading that the longest tethering cord/cable possible would be under 2 miles; no material is made that could support its own weight, and the rigors of weather/wind/stresses by earth's rotation (from a PU professor).

-----Satellite. I've seen these moving in the sky, or rather, reflections off them. They look different, and they move. I realize there are geosynchronous ones, but do they have multi color lights? And if so, would the distinction of the colors be seen from earth?

-----Space Station. See satellite.

----- Airliner, or training flights. The military person swears this, even though the object doesn't move.

The one military person from Peru/Grissom AFB (supposedly closed, but a military base never really closes, does it?), was very evasive. You know how you ask someone something, and they try to deflect you, giving you an answer thats obviously false, repeating it over and over, looking down and to the side?

Opinions, thoughts, etc?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Brywilson2

At 40 degrees above the horizon, that's quite high in declination because that's almost half way to directly overhead.

If it's a land based object (IE radio tower, sky scraper) you'd have to be quite close to it for it to appear that high in the sky.

Any type of aircraft (including drones) would move at some point (you've claimed that it's stationary and never, ever moves).

You've also said you're using a telescope with a reticle (crosshairs), so you should be familiar with Right Ascension and Declination coordinates. It would be great if you could center your telescope on it, and write down those coordinates (assuming you've polar aligned your telescope) and post that here.

That way at least people in or close to your area can take a look too.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

You need to get something like stellarium.

Having a quick look with the given information shows Jupiter and Sirius in the souther sky at the moment

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

As the evening progresses, it remains stationary (as proven by crosshairs in telescope lens), while skycap (stars) move according to earth's rotation.

If your telescope is tracking yes it appears to remain 'stationary' in the crosshairs.

It looks like a very bright star, but has ged/blue/green lights on the edge of it.

Probably Star Scintillation.

edit on 15-4-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

At 40 degrees above the horizon, that's quite high in declination because that's almost half way to directly overhead.

If it's a land based object (IE radio tower, sky scraper) you'd have to be quite close to it for it to appear that high in the sky.

Any type of aircraft (including drones) would move at some point (you've claimed that it's stationary and never, ever moves).

You've also said you're using a telescope with a reticle (crosshairs), so you should be familiar with Right Ascension and Declination coordinates. It would be great if you could center your telescope on it, and write down those coordinates (assuming you've polar aligned your telescope) and post that here.

That way at least people in or close to your area can take a look too.
It's a shooters type telescope, as old as I am.....it's not digital, tracking, etc. Similar to, but not as fancy as, this:
THSI
After moving 60 miles SE, it didnt appear to change orientation in the sky.
Im guessing at 40 degrees.perhaps lower, Ive never measured it w/ instruments. Its somewhat less than halfway between straight up, and straight out.

I believe anyone near me who wishes to look, can do so from what Ive posted. Thats why I described the location.

Are there helicopter drones? In place here since 1995 or so? How long can one possibly hover in place?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

As the evening progresses, it remains stationary (as proven by crosshairs in telescope lens), while skycap (stars) move according to earth's rotation.

If your telescope is tracking yes it appears to remain 'stationary' in the crosshairs.

Probably Star Scintillation.

telescope does not track. Object does not move. The stars do.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

You need to get something like stellarium.

Having a quick look with the given information shows Jupiter and Sirius in the souther sky at the moment

Again, the object does not move over the course of hours. The stars do, acc. to earth rotation.
Im willing to assume some type of scintillation, however, its on a stationary object.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Well, another thing you can do is show all of us here. All you need is a DSLR type of camera and a tripod.

Set the camera up with the widest angle you can set it to and focus it to infinity.

When it's dark enough and the object is in view, take a long term exposure with the ISO set to 400 or 800, for 10 to 12 seconds.

Wait 15 minutes and take another image, again for 10 to 12 seconds. Then do it a 3rd time.

Post the pictures here. We'll be able to see the objects and the stars in the background. In each frame, the stars will move, but your object won't (if it's truly not moving).

It's not really that hard to do (unless you do not have a camera and tripod).

It will help those of us who are very familiar with the sky identify where you are looking, and we might even be able to identify it for you.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It should be listed on a FAA obstruction chart

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

North Star...

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gimcrackery

It should be listed on a FAA obstruction chart
Where would I get one? Also, if it's a USAF / alphabet-soup agency project, likely not.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm sure there was a similar thread asked before:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Download the app StarTracker
Calibrate it to your location, (takes 1 minute or so) then point your phone or tablet at the object.
The reticule will highlight over the object then tell you what it is.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Unless it's a military drone, your looking at MAX 90 minutes of flight time.
And that's with a very new drone. There just wasn't the battery power in place back in 95 till the last year or 2, to power something like what your describing.
You can cross drone off your list.

Weather balloons however....

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Download the app StarTracker
Calibrate it to your location, (takes 1 minute or so) then point your phone or tablet at the object.
The reticule will highlight over the object then tell you what it is.

It is NOT a star. It is stationary, while the stars move through the evening.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Unless it's a military drone, your looking at MAX 90 minutes of flight time.
And that's with a very new drone. There just wasn't the battery power in place back in 95 till the last year or 2, to power something like what your describing.
You can cross drone off your list.

Weather balloons however....
Due to distance / height, it would have to have several miles of tether, which isn't possible.

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Oh I believe you. But to rule out any possibility of it being so, take the 2 minutes to download the app, point the thing at the object, then take a screen shot ( for an iPhone or iPad, press the power button and home button at the same time)
At least we will then be able to cross off drone AND star.
edit on 15-4-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I am told that an Aerostat - basically like a blimp - can be tethered in one place, and not move. They are used for surveillance. However, we didn't have those prior to 9/11, so that wouldn't work, if you have seen this for longer. The reaction of the military person is interesting, though. Perhaps some older project? I'd be wanting to try and locate it, myself, lol!

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Oh I believe you. But to rule out any possibility of it being so, take the 2 minutes to download the app, point the thing at the object, then take a screen shot ( for an iPhone or iPad, press the power button and home button at the same time)
At least we will then be able to cross off drone AND star.

If not tethered, it would have to be something w/ maneuverability, LadyGreenEyes mentioned a blimp-like craft, that's plausible, with batteries and generator, to stay up for extended periods. but even if it IS that, why is it even there?

posted on Apr, 15 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Yes i've got a friend that lives up North and they've shared photo's of sun dogs and Aurora Borealis and its like wow. Really amazing.

I must admit however I was caught off guard by your post and almost expect to see Chocolate rabbits in the sky.

edit on 15-4-2017 by Neith because: fixed

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join