It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: People Least Afraid Of Death Are Atheists Or The Very Religious

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Interesting study results counter the long held belief that "fear of death" is a primary motivator for religious belief or that atheists are more afraid of death than religious people.

dailycaller.com...

Atheists and very religious people are the least afraid of death, according to a new study. The study found fear of death was correlated with religiosity in an “inverse-U pattern,” meaning moderately religious people are the most afraid of death.

Higher levels of religiosity are linked to lower levels of death anxiety, but so is having no religion whatsoever. Researchers say their findings debunk the notion that fear of death is a primary motivator for religious belief.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Why would an atheist fear death at all?

I fear the possible living process of death - - - if by a long and painful illness - - - or being a burden to someone. But, not death itself.

Religion is guilt based. "If you're not good enough in the eyes of God" - - you won't be joining him.

edit on 25-3-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I've always thought that an atheist would be less afraid of death, because if you believe there is only oblivion then what is there to fear? It should be less comforting to believe that you may have to answer for your actions in this life after your death.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Why would fear of death have anything to do with religion? I always found people afraid of dying are those who feel they still have things to accomplish?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Religion is guilt based. "If you're not good enough in the eyes of God" - - you won't be joining him.

From my point of view religion is all about finding the greater truth. Living in heavon (whatever that is) or living forever, doesn't really appeal to me. I'd much prefer if Mark Twain was right.....

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Mark Twain

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

From my point of view religion is all about finding the greater truth. Living in heavon (whatever that is) or living forever, doesn't really appeal to me. I'd much prefer if Mark Twain was right.....

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

Mark Twain

I was raised Christian.

I know what its about.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I've always thought that an atheist would be less afraid of death, because if you believe there is only oblivion then what is there to fear? It should be less comforting to believe that you may have to answer for your actions in this life after your death.

Not all atheists believe death is oblivion.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I don't think you understand Christianity at all.

That thing called the Atonement? Yeah.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think anyone who says they do not worry about death are total liars. If they weren't afraid of death then they would take unimaginable risks with their lives. And since they don't, they at least worry a bit about dying.

Hell, the worst punishment that can be doled out is death.

Summarize: that article is stupid and whoever did the "study" was basing a "study" on opinion. Which isn't a study.

link   
double post
edit on 25-3-2017 by Fools because: dp

link   

People with a firm belief about what the afterlife holds are going to be more comfortable with death simply because their minds are made up.

edit on 2017/3/25 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Oh, not even close. In fact death is the final release from any punishment. It is the only thing that finally sets you free from having to endure living in a never ending agony of pain, sorrow and loneliness.

It is much worse to keep someone living in prolonged torment. At which point death is welcomed because it puts an end to it.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: Fools

Oh, not even close. In fact death is the final release from any punishment. It is the only thing that finally sets you free from having to endure living in a never ending agony of pain, sorrow and loneliness.

It is much worse to keep someone living in prolonged torment. At which point death is welcomed because it puts an end to it.

You can say that and mean that, but you still worry about the other side. Whether it is there or not.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Quick question,

are suicide bombers afraid of death?

As long as there is that line in the sand, I'm a 'death-fearing' atheist.
edit on 25-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The older you get the less fear you have.....

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Break free from the madness that guides you then. Who needs to be told to not Murder People, Respect your family and neighbors and eat their vegetables once their an adult? The spiritually lost.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

I wouldn't say I worry about it. I sometimes wonder if there is something on the other side but I'm not sure if there is anything at all.

But it seems pointless to worry about the one and only thing that I'm guaranteed in life, my death.

If I was going to worry about something it would be that I would somehow live forever. That would worry me a lot.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It does make sense that the very religious Christian should not be afraid of death, because the point of the message is hope and confidence; "... that we may have confidence for the day of judgement" (1 John ch4 v17).
When I was an atheist I was not afraid of death, but that was because I was young and not expecting to die.

edit on 25-3-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm neither an atheist or "very religious" and I have zero fear of death.

When I was younger I did. Until I experienced the passing of people close to me, especially my father and more recently my mother. I was there for both during their last days and when they drew their final breath.

In both cases there were things that happened (other family also experienced) that are virtually impossible to share in words here, that left me no choice but to be convinced there is an afterlife.

I had my own near death experience as well to seal the deal. I no longer have any doubt, no fear and I look forward to whenever or however my time will come while cherishing whatever life here I have remaining here.

From my perspective there is NO reason anyone should have any fear of death.

We all will certainly die, sooner or later..

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

What kind of experiences are you talking about.

I always enjoy hearing people talk about such things.

I won't say anything negative about what you say either as that seems pointless and rude to do anyway. Just so you know. But I'd love to hear a couple examples of what you're talking about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join