It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: People Least Afraid Of Death Are Atheists Or The Very Religious

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well, I have seen a staunch atheist turn religious in his dying days.

We only go through death once. You might sit there saying "I don't fear death", but let's see what you have to say when the end is racing towards you. I think that very few people go into death with a calm nonchalance.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: Annee

I don't think you understand Christianity at all.

That thing called the Atonement? Yeah.

I consider the concept of Atonement stupid.

Actually, I consider the concept of God stupid.

Yeah, raised Christian -- but, because I don't agree with the believer -- it's because I don't understand.

NOT

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, I have seen a staunch atheist turn religious in his dying days.

Typical believer wishful thinking.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I think anyone who says they do not worry about death are total liars. If they weren't afraid of death then they would take unimaginable risks with their lives. And since they don't, they at least worry a bit about dying.

I'm not a fan of pain.

Also, most/not all atheists support they have a responsibility to this living world while here.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I've always thought that an atheist would be less afraid of death, because if you believe there is only oblivion then what is there to fear? It should be less comforting to believe that you may have to answer for your actions in this life after your death.

Not all atheists believe death is oblivion.

Amen! (pun intended)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

In both cases there were things that happened (other family also experienced) that are virtually impossible to share in words here, that left me no choice but to be convinced there is an afterlife.

I am an atheist that believes in an "after physical life".

That consciousness is eternal energy, not physical.

God not required.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
I've always thought that an atheist would be less afraid of death, because if you believe there is only oblivion then what is there to fear? It should be less comforting to believe that you may have to answer for your actions in this life after your death.

Not all atheists believe death is oblivion.

Amen! (pun intended)

OK, that was funny

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I never understood why that is supposed to be significant.

I mean so what if someone close to death starts praying to god because they're going to die. Someone who's about to die will do all sorts of crazy things because they think it's all about to end. That doesn't mean that what they're doing is correct or any less crazy. It just means they're freaking out about it. Why is it that people point to that as if it means something???

It just means they're freaking out about the idea of not being alive anymore.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Ok, if a crazy creep just popped up behind you right now with a knife and started stabbing away, you would just sit there and await sweet release?

Would you thank him as he killed you?

Are you expecting your death to be painless?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

No. I worry about the pain of dying like anyone else. The less the better IMO.

But you said worry about death which I took to mean once you're already dead. Or on the other side if there is one.

Of course I fear a painful or horrible death process. Who doesn't???

That's what I meant by death being the sweet relief from. Because then the pain of dying is over with.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Well you know what they say................poop occurs !!

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

In both cases there were things that happened (other family also experienced) that are virtually impossible to share in words here, that left me no choice but to be convinced there is an afterlife.

God not required.

I would say I lean this way, however really don't believe I've seen any evidence of it. For others in this thread that don't think folks can't live without worrying about death, let me share. Was relatively healthy most of my life...no hospitalizations, no surgeries, a couple of broken fingers in youth and a broken toe as an adult was about it. New Years Day 2010, experienced my first ever heart attack...not traditional, just couldn't breathe and ended up in ER, stabilized, and whisked into cath lab for two stents placed in one heart artery. I was calm throughout the entire event (much to the chagrin of my spouse), and going under (already on cath lab table), was quite clear in my mind that I may not wake up. No stress, BP normal, pulse normal, etc. Woke up a couple hours later in recovery. Have since had another heart event and stent placement, a couple of heart caths to check for blockage/damage, and two lithotrypsies to laser destroy kidney stones. Each time was just as first, going under knowing anything could happen and I may not make it back, and each time calmly going under. In the end, to me, it's just a matter of biology...I will be living as all of my critical organs function. When they stop, so do I. Biology, which most of learned all about in school, at least back in the 60's and 70's when I went.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Fear of the unknown I guess.

The ultra religious and the atheist skeptic both will say they know, therefore its not a issue. Makes sense.

And everybody fears the process of...because there is no good way to go out.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

God not required.

This has always been my issue.
I have no belief in any deity (not saying there isn't..I just dont know if there is..therefore not gonna assume there is just for funzys). I have however experienced some pretty significant events in my life that I have trouble saying is anything other than what appears to be survival of self after death in some...form I cant fathom with my stupid meat brain.

But there it is.

Atheist, yes. and yet I also..hmm..believe..not sure if believe is the right word. Witnessed repeatedly strong evidence pointing to continued existence.

I suspect the soul could be a very..very old thing that is currently using this meat to experience this level of reality. I have hypothesis's of course.but rarely does a deity ever stumble into these hypothesis

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I think anyone who says they do not worry about death are total liars. If they weren't afraid of death then they would take unimaginable risks with their lives. And since they don't, they at least worry a bit about dying.

Hell, the worst punishment that can be doled out is death.

Summarize: that article is stupid and whoever did the "study" was basing a "study" on opinion. Which isn't a study.

No, the worst punishment is not death. I suppose you've never hurt so much you've asked for death, yet.

It's funny though.... When we want to live and no one will let us, we wish for death. But when we want to live and we can and yet we feel that we're dying, we wish for life.

There is a pain that demands death and there is a pain that begs for life.

I'm not afraid of death because anxiety has trained me to not be afraid of it. I am not religious as in a zealot for judgement, but I am zealous for the God Who I know is in charge.

I'm on the opposite side of the bell curve from atheists.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Why would an atheist fear death at all?

I fear the possible living process of death - - - if by a long and painful illness - - - or being a burden to someone. But, not death itself.

Religion is guilt based. "If you're not good enough in the eyes of God" - - you won't be joining him.

I'm an agnostic and not afraid of death. But I am afraid of dying process, I'm a big baby when it comes to pain.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

Why would an atheist fear death at all?

I fear the possible living process of death - - - if by a long and painful illness - - - or being a burden to someone. But, not death itself.

Religion is guilt based. "If you're not good enough in the eyes of God" - - you won't be joining him.

I'm an agnostic and not afraid of death. But I am afraid of dying process, I'm a big baby when it comes to pain.

Pain is nothing physically. Pain is at its worst mentally and emotionally. You can cut off nerves, but you can't cut off the mind or heart until death.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Sounds like you're just pissed off.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther
Religion is delusion for society to train toddlers and reform criminals. It's not exactly profound. It's programming.

Detaching yourself from it is almost profound a milestone than starting a practice.

The original self-help.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80
a reply to: NthOther
Religion is delusion for society to train toddlers and reform criminals. It's not exactly profound. It's programming.

Detaching yourself from it is almost profound a milestone than starting a practice.

The original self-help.

Careful with your logic there. You're saying that something imaginary is doing the best work that could be done in this world.

Raising good kids and reforming criminals are both miracles.

Think about it.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join