It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: People Least Afraid Of Death Are Atheists Or The Very Religious

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I consider the concept of Atonement stupid.

Actually, I consider the concept of God stupid.

Yeah, raised Christian -- but, because I don't agree with the believer -- it's because I don't understand.

So, did you abandon manners and politeness when you turned your back on Christianity or were you never taught any to begin with?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MacK80

Religion is delusion for society to train toddlers and reform criminals. It's not exactly profound. It's programming.

How is that any different from the state or from pop culture?

You think you're superior for abandoning religion when in reality you've simply found a substitute you're more comfortable with.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
i guess i agree with the study, it makes no sense to be afraid of the inevitable, and the religious are usually convinced heaven is right around the corner for them. still, having little concern for death does not equal having no concern for death.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
As a spiritual person I view death in two manners.

1) We pass and our consciousness, spirit, soul, astral body, or whatever you wish to call it continues on, which is what I personally believe.

Or

2) We die and there's nothing. In which case, we'd never know we ever existed anyway.

In either case, what is there to really fear? Granted, most of us are not in any hurry to have the question answered, but still, why be in fear of it? It's a fact. It's going to happen. As humans we have two shared experiences, we're all born and we all die.
edit on 25-3-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Maybe.

For me personally -- as an atheist -- I simply disbelieve ALL of the world's religions because I see them as shadows on the wall of the cave: imperfect reflections of infinite truth, translated through often sincere but short-sighted finite beings. If you draw a picture representing every religion on the planet on a massive sheet of paper, the infinite is everything else, outside of the frame of the drawing itself.

From that understanding, I learned that a human system of rewards and punishments is simply an overlay: a control mechanism designed to keep human beings in their place. That place is on their elbows and knees, "worshiping" whatever it is they fear, love or simply cannot understand.

It doesn't matter.

I am not "ahead of the game" because I recognize the larger frame. I did not "beat" anyone to get here. I cannot "teach" anyone else the secret mysteries I have come to "understand" -- in my own limited/ flawed way.

Why would I fear death? Death is just a passage. It is just around the corner. It will come for me the same as it has come for every person who has ever lived before me. If they can make the trip, who am I to fear it?

From my own limited perspective, I completely understand the result of this study. People like me have no reason to fear death. Hardcore capital "A" atheists who believe that there is nothing beyond this life have little to fear either. Serious religious searchers fear even less than we do because the depth of their faith has exposed them to eternal truths goofballs like me took a roundabout way to glimpse on our own.

In the end, we all meet our fate, together, because we are one.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

The 'substitute' is perusing other religion, but with an open mind to believe they're all bogus open for individual interpretation from the start. I like this reality. I'm not uncomfortable with the fiction that overtakes yours. Your exact words express how I feel about religious people in general. They've found a substitute to REALITY they feel more comfortable with.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Only someone afraid of religion thinks that.

As someone who is very religious by the standards of most here, I don't feel guilty and I don't fear death.

I can see why a firm and true athiest would be likewise.

It's about having a firm grasp on what you believe your place in the overall order of things is and coming to terms with it and being comfortable with it. When you can't understand how a religious person doesn't live solely by guilt, it's maybe in inner reflection of your own inner discomfort more than your true understanding of the very religious ... or even the very irreligious.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

... but with an open mind to believe they're all bogus ...

You're putting me on, right?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Religion is delusion for society to train toddlers and reform criminals. It's not exactly profound. It's programming.

Detaching yourself from it is almost profound a milestone than starting a practice.

The original self-help.

Careful with your logic there. You're saying that something imaginary is doing the best work that could be done in this world.

Raising good kids and reforming criminals are both miracles.

Think about it.

I think the Bible to an intellectual interpretation is an uplifting moral story.

To an actual interpretation, you might as well read it your whole life, as you've remained a toddler.

I actually have a friend who was in prison 10 years ago, and started reading the Bible. He...did have a nutter stage, but it actually worked out well and I'm proud of him. He's now exploring other Religions. Everything closed minded Christians hate. I'm so proud.
Btw, he likes the Bible too despite this.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

... but with an open mind to believe they're all bogus ...

You're putting me on, right?

??? Can you imagine a world with no hypothetical situations?

Must you commit to one religion to understand them?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Hypothetically, sure.

No, but starting from the assumption that they're all "bogus" isn't going to help you do that.

I also fail to see how that position is open-minded.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Hypothetically, sure.

No, but starting from the assumption that they're all "bogus" isn't going to help you do that.

I also fail to see how that position is open-minded.

Ah, the bogus part, well I'm not pledging my 'soul' to anything without reading the ToS FIRST. It's not actually bogus, it's negotiable aspects of joining the religion. If I become a Jew, I don't eat Pork. etc. Most of Religion is sacrifice, so from the start it's not that interesting to me to practice. The philosophical aspects of their beliefs systems is a whole different can of worms that is both valuable and harmful. Basically that tiny bit of value can mostly be extracted, without practice. Is someone going to church better than someone who understands the bible? Why?
edit on 25-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

Careful with your logic there. You're saying that something imaginary is doing the best work that could be done in this world.

Raising good kids and reforming criminals are both miracles.

Think about it.

You can also do those things without Religion though.

Religion creates a whole lot of crazy fanatics too.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Religion creates a whole lot of crazy fanatics too.

So does the state. Have you been paying attention to political discourse of late?

Why is it any better as a means of socialization and/or reformation?

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Every time I have "that" talk with my evangelical mother she says, "Don't you want to see your father again?" (he died in a car crash when I was 19.)

I remind her I take flowers twice a year to his grave. What a dumb question! I remind her he's in a grave and if she's in such a hurry to see him why is she hanging on at 83 with a horrible second marriage?

This talk of fear of death is universal. We don't know about any life after death. So, how can we even take sides?

We'll all die-I agree with many here-we hope it's fast and painless-best we can hope for.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso

I remind her he's in a grave and if she's in such a hurry to see him why is she hanging on at 83 with a horrible second marriage?

What an awful thing to say to your mother.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Perhaps the most opinionated and condemning stand-up ever done on religion...
It is funny and sad at the same time and you need thick skin to get through some of it.
He is: George Carlin on Religion

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I think anyone who says they do not worry about death are total liars. If they weren't afraid of death then they would take unimaginable risks with their lives. And since they don't, they at least worry a bit about dying.

Hell, the worst punishment that can be doled out is death.

Summarize: that article is stupid and whoever did the "study" was basing a "study" on opinion. Which isn't a study.

Fine, then call me a liar -- I do not worry about death. Death itself is inevitable. To me, it's like saying you fear hunger before a meal. It's inevitable. WTF kind of logic is that?
You know it's coming, enjoy your time up to it because you have no idea when this Roulette existence is done. It's not a fear of death or anything else, it's a desire to get the proverbial bucket list take care of, if possible, first.
edit on 3/25/2017 by Nyiah because: I blame the cold meds...

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

And you, of all people, is judging me? Blasphemous. But coming from you-I consider it an honor.

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

So does the state. Have you been paying attention to political discourse of late?

Why is it any better as a means of socialization and/or reformation?

When did I ever say that the state was any better???

Oh that's right, I didn't. You just pulled that out of your butt and implied that I said it.

But I never said anything at all even close to that.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join