It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Backbone Cogent Blocks Cloudflare’s New ‘Pirate Site’ IP-addresses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

The Pirate Bay and several other pirate sites are unavailable again in many parts of the world, due to a new blockade from Internet backbone provider Cogent. The site's IP-addresses, which are owned by CDN provider Cloudflare, have been blackholed, in what appears to be another case of over-blocking.

Cogent has now blocked Cloudflare’s new IP-addresses as well. This effectively renders The Pirate Bay and other sites such as TorrentProject, Icefilms, Torlock, Popcorn-Time, Movie4k and 1Channel inaccessible on its network.

The Pirate Bay blocked by cogent again

Cogent has blackholed the IP-addresses 104.31.16.3 and 104.31.17.3 which are all shared by these sites. This is likely another case of over-blocking, unless there is a new court order listing all the sites on these IP-addresses.

They really are starting to crack down on these sites, oh well back to kodi and teamos lol

edit on 22-3-2017 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I liken the "free sites" as going the ways of the "pay-phones", "Quarter-car washes" and paying to put AIR in your car tires!

We have to pay something for everything these days...and it'll only get tighter....sigh

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Don't forget IRC never died, it just went further underground. Those old serverbots with their lists and queue slots are still spamming those channels with their "hustled goods" . Im thinking of going that route again. I hear ftp servers are still out there with access granted to contributors. Some of the fastest speeds you can get to.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I understand that distributors have to protect their business, but these distribution companies do not create anything but copies.

Mechanical copyright goes automatically to the creator of a work and cannot be bought and sold.

A distribution company cannot claim copyright while maintaining that other distributors are 'pirates', unless they are actually the creators of the work or works.

They are doing the very thing that they are prosecuting others for doing. There is no moral or ethical reason they should not be prosecuted too. They are simply more successful 'pirates'.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Hmm that sounds very interesting. Finding original content to contribute might be hard though

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Meh. L3 or also known as "Level 3 Communications" is a much bigger....beast? Is that the right word? Hm...

Anyway, L3 pretty much "owns" the internet. Everyone's traffic runs through their infrastructure at some point.

You can check out how L3 ranks in comparison to Cogent HERE.

L3 is #1, Cogent is #2...so Cogent isn't something to sneeze at, but most people are also unaware of who L3 even is.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Well looks like they'll have to block the whole tinterwebs as I can get on mirrors of those sites even with my ISP being an arse.
They said here in the UK they were starting blocking streaming live football games etc, so decided to go after Kodi and Android boxes.

Unfortunately for the pricks in charge streaming has been moving to torrents for a while now so go at it.

When will they learn from these knee jerk actions and realise people will always get around their crap..

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I used to use a file sharing service that was like ftp years ago. You had to share a folder on you hard drive to get access, it had chatrooms and everything. Just cant remember what it was called.

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Well if you can get with a release group and rip something obscure not in their library, they will usually grant you access, but you would have to be able to contribute at lest twice a month I am sure.

I will just stick to going back to IRC. its free, and you can set # to queue up. Plus, many of the release groups operate from IRC still.
edit on 3-22-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
I used to use a file sharing service that was like ftp years ago. You had to share a folder on you hard drive to get access, it had chatrooms and everything. Just cant remember what it was called.

Sounds like Ares from Sourceforge

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

No...that doesn't sound like it. I remember what he's talking about. This was YEARS ago, before torrenting.

It reminded me of IRC mixed with Napster, and there were strict ratios enforced. It wasn't easy to get into unless you had a lot and were willing to share a lot.

I do remember that Yahoo! chat rooms were popular at the time. I want to say this was before 2002.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

*shrug*

There's other options besides IRC and torrents. These "groups" so to speak have been around a long time but aren't widely talked about.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu

No...that doesn't sound like it. I remember what he's talking about. This was YEARS ago, before torrenting.

It reminded me of IRC mixed with Napster, and there were strict ratios enforced. It wasn't easy to get into unless you had a lot and were willing to share a lot.

I do remember that Yahoo! chat rooms were popular at the time. I want to say this was before 2002.

Limewire?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

No, it was more like an FTP thing, where you shared a folder on your computer.

Ah ha! Hotline! It was called Hotline Connect!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
TO ALL CONTENT DEVELOPERS:

I don't support shameless theft of products. This technology exists because of authentic necessity. I've bought "Age of Empires 2" 10 #ing times, and with the now available cloud services like Steam, I have less reasoning in my mind to jump on BitTorrent and download it at my leisure, but # Microsoft and their 'CDs'.
;The 'CD-less cracked' version of the game existed for TWO YEARS before Microsoft made a CDless install CD. YOUR #ING 2ND GENERATION CD ALSO WAS SKETCH. I FOUND MY MYSELF EBAYING THE OLDER ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE GAME(Silver Disk) BECAUSE THE NEW ONE WAS GARBAGE AND ONLY THE GARBAGE CD WAS AVAILABLE IN STORES FOR ANOTHER ---------FOUR YEARS-------- IF YOU DIDNT WANT THE CHEAPER EXPANSION KIT.

In short(I hope Microsoft burns in firey hell), there are ways to support the development of a product that precludes having ways to access the products for free or not. Once stealing Age of Empires 2 for the first time, I felt no guilt, and later discovered Mods because of it, and enjoyed the game to a greater degree. In fact, I # you not, look it up, Pirated Mods of AoE2, were discovered by Microsoft, and they #ing bought it. Age of Forgotten Empires. So there you go. Allowing your game to be pirated can literally lead to the final free installment of your series, and highest level functioning game of the series because it's made by a community and not a single dev with it's head up it's ****/.

As for movies, they can go # themselves too. Nintendo is the only person with their head in the game. It goes like this: "If you've ever bought it- ever, it is your property to again download online." But the applications can extend farther than this. The amount of games I've played with friends only with a limited budget, free torrenting sites is what lead directly to many of my purchases as a kid. Yeah sure, some people steal and you never get your cut, but it's extremely unaccounted for the thefts that lead to support. If the cops bust down someones door that stole your game, and their room is wall to wall with your posters and garbage, that's embarrassing on your part IMO. Things should not be stolen, but the premise of support of intellectual property needs to be reestablished a little better.

Also before Red Box, I only torrented movies. Blockbuster fees were absurd, that's who is most angry about BitTorrent. Anyway, most of my favorite torrented Movies were ultimately purchased on DVD, whereas I could have just never decided to put money to watch it otherwise. It's a gray area, but there is a value there also. I like the protection from crappy content, so you can suck it on that one. Why should I pay $25 for a BRAND NEW! garbage movie?

With prices so low and reasonable though these days I actually do just buy everything. I don't mind owning cloud content for $5 verses the trouble of finding it. Nothing about stealing software is convenient, it was about absurdity of supporting greedy developers. With that in mind, every time I might every steal, support of the developer is normally considered in my mind, maybe the developer should care a little more about me not getting suckered into forking money over for the next big pile of crap. The last game I stole was "Factorio", 2 or three times to allow some friends to try for free online multiplayer. All of them now have keys, and so do 3 other friends they convinced to buy it, totaling 7 purchased keys from 3 stolen copies.

Just to note, absolutely nothing is difference after buying it. They bought it purely to support the developer, why is this side of the coin irrelevant?

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

I was using Limewire at it's creation, and even Kazzaa or w/e and the one before that.

All of them had options to literally share nothing. The 'force' was a default setting.

The IRC is completely different, that can have various requirements, even money. Those and Newsbins were popular because of speed. You can normally get the entirety of your net down. Newsbins probably still work tbh.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I remembered, it was DCplus

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Piratebay, Kikass and the like are old news.

Now that everyone is taking notice of them, and trying to stop them, it's time to move on.

The Exodus has begun..

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Don't forget IRC never died, it just went further underground. Those old serverbots with their lists and queue slots are still spamming those channels with their "hustled goods" . Im thinking of going that route again. I hear ftp servers are still out there with access granted to contributors. Some of the fastest speeds you can get to.

I hadn't thought about /dcc get bot send file in a very long time.

Torrents and files have been dying out though for tv, movies, and music... everyone wants to stream these days.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

Direct Connect?

It was pretty popular on college campuses back when they would block torrents. A few others used it too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join