It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump takes aim at Sanctuary Cities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Inside trump's budget proposals are some de-funding aimed at those belligerent "Sanctuary Cities".

"Sanctuary Cities" are places that apparently refuse to report or hold over people that are suspected of being in the U.S. illegally and/or un-documented.

The reports go to the Federal agency responsible (ICE).

Trump wants to hold back Federal money specifically to local police agencies that seem uncooperative.

Many "Sanctuary Cities" actually have local legislation in place to make it "OK" to not cooperate.

Let's see how Congress reacts, especially Representatives and Senators from those areas.

Battle Royal is beginning.

Trump takes aim at 'sanctuary cities' with a proposal to cut more than $200 million in local funds

Buried in President Trump's budget proposal released Thursday was an opening salvo against so-called sanctuary cities, local jurisdictions he promised to punish for refusing to cooperate with deportation officers.

Trump wants to slash $210 million in federal reimbursements to state and local jails that hold immigrants convicted of crimes while in the country illegally. The Trump administration called the program "poorly targeted," adding that two-thirds of the money goes to only a handful of states, including California and Illinois, “for the cost of incarcerating certain illegal criminal aliens."

The money, awarded by the Department of Justice, can make up a sizable portion of budgets for state and local police and sheriff’s departments.

Trump, who promised weeks before he was elected to “cancel all federal funding to sanctuary cities,” appears to be using it as a cudgel to force those local governments to comply with his administration’s efforts to deport people who are in the U.S. illegally.

Now What ?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I still think it is absurd that cities within the USA with all the cultural and economic issues still have the kahunas to allow citizens to stay illegally within their borders, talk about make a joke of the correct channels..

Why bother going for a green card application I will just get in and disappear, I also think a more troubling thing is the amount of US citizens that actually encourage it!.. Madness...

RA

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it's absurd that the same people who say it's wrong for government to withold money for not following federal standards in education and other areas are doing the exact same thing they always say is wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I'm British and for me to live in America would be nigh on impossible given my current circumstances. I agree that illegals should be counted and deported where necessary.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Good move on Trump's part. Cut off the money for feeding/clothing/medical-care of the ILLEGAL JAIL BIRDS, and the cities will beg ICE agents to come pick them up and take them back to _____________.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
Why bother going for a green card application

My wife is a legal alien. Took us years and cost thousands. Her sister and many in her family just came over illegally, cost them less, they came here immediately, and they began working right away. Most of those in her family who came here illegally gamed the system and are now legal.

It pisses my wife off royally.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Education is a States right issue, Immigration has always been federal. Sorry, you are about as wrong as you can get.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

How do you feel about that bro?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Trump wants to slash $210 million in federal reimbursements to state and local jails that hold immigrants convicted of crimes while in the country illegally.

WTF?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I think it's absurd that the same people who say it's wrong for government to withold money for not following federal standards in education and other areas are doing the exact same thing they always say is wrong.

Even crazier is the thought of people hating the police state and still want Federal money going to local police.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Nuts ain't it !!

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I feel like the situation sucks and the people who were in power who encouraged the system to work that way should never be given power again.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Nuts ain't it !!

Why do you think it's nuts?

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Rightly so.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: xuenchen

Nuts ain't it !!

Why do you think it's nuts?

He was being sarcastic.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

What is supposed to happen to illegal immigrants who break the law?

It has always been my understanding that if one is found guilty of a crime, one must serve the time. It was my understanding that after an illegal immigrant has served their time, they're to be deported by ICE.

If an American was arrested in Mexico for a crime, that American would serve time in a Mexican jail.

edit on 18-3-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

...um, what? an American crossed the border legally through the checkpoints. If he commits a crime, you can bet he goes to jail in a Mexican jail till he gets moved over.

"What is supposed to happen to illegal immigrants who break the law?"
Think really hard about this statement...

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Right. So why would Trump threaten to punish state and local jails for holding illegal immigrants that have been found guilty of committing a crime?

Trump wants to slash $210 million in federal reimbursements to state and local jails that hold immigrants convicted of crimes while in the country illegally.

What are state and local authorities supposed to do with illegal immigrant criminals that have been found guilty of committing crimes, if not jail them?

ETA:

you can bet he goes to jail in a Mexican jail till he gets moved over.

Wait. What? Nope. You commit a crime in foreign country, you do the time in that foreign country. There's no "moving over".

edit on 18-3-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join