It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scandinavian Hypocrisy: Activists' fury over Norway hunt of pregnant whales

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
www.thelocal.no...

As reported by the Norway paper "The Local" ; Sweden, Norway and the rest of the Scandinavian Garbage

Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, while concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs; hence in general sense, dissimulation, pretense, sham.

www.thelocal.no...

Animal rights activists expressed anger on Wednesday after reports emerged that a large majority of whales harpooned each year in Norway are pregnant.

A documentary broadcast on public television network NRK, featuring gory video images of whales being cut open and foetuses removed, claimed that 90 percent of Minke whales killed each year in Norwegian waters were females and that "almost all" of them were pregnant.

"Whale hunting is now even more unacceptable," the head of Greenpeace Norway, Truls Gulowsen, told AFP.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri Mar 10 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote & added EX TAGSIMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SecondTierSuburbsGuy

Sick bastards. I would think a "professional" would take all aspects into account, especially the state of the animal in question. I would agree to sanctions on norway until they change this behavior for good. Stop killing whales.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

In these barren, remote countries little grows from the ground and livestock freeze before they starve.

Okay so they kill pregnant whales for meat. In practice during migration, they herd pods of whales into the shallow inlets and bays, then slaughter all of them. They don't take the time to determine sex or age when they do this. They can't. All the whales that get herded by small boats into the bay are put to the knife. Its a grizzly event, has to be seen to be believed.

The Japanese kill whales under the cover of research, but some of that meat makes it to kids school lunches, how unnecessary is that?

They also herd dolphin pods into bays and slaughter them. That is also unbelievable to watch.

I'm not linking or embedding it, people can search it for themselves.
edit on 9-3-2017 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Are you asserting that Iceland and Norway need to kill whales in order that their citizens do not suffer malnutrition?
Simple yes or no will shut me up.

For the record, I assert no.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I gave the Norwegians more credit than this.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Are you asserting that Iceland and Norway need to kill whales in order that their citizens do not suffer malnutrition?
Simple yes or no will shut me up.

For the record, I assert no.

Its their heritage, its their culture. The practice itself is barbarous, so is killing any food source.
Visit a slaughter house. Millions of cattle die every day to feed Mickey Ds, alone.

75 burgers a second...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

So no, you do not assert they kill whales because they need to.
Excellent, we find agreement about that specific question.
The rest, meh.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

We cultivate cattle for food and milk. We have domesticated them. Provide them with everything they need to reproduce so they will always be around.

Can you claim the same for whales?

edit on 3/9/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I think they should all be addicted to Mc Dondalds and KFC, too...

...ever been hunting?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

We cultivate cattle for food and milk. We have domesticated them. Provide them with everything they need to reproduce so they will always be around.

Can you claim the same for whales?

You can't 'domesticate whales'. The location and clime of these countries that practice the harvest of whales and the environment the whales live in (the ocean) make that impossible.

Most "Bamby-ized" cultures that buy their meat off the grocer shelf in neat cellophane packages will never understand this.

Or look into their necessary stocking of meat during the migration and how they have developed the practice over the centuries. This is their 'hunt' to feed themselves thru the coming year. Just it happens on the shore visible to the camera and we cringe...

All we see thru our westernized eyes is the blood in the water and the butchery.

Like I said, visit a slaughter house, you'll never eat beef again.

I don't.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Just a clarification. Norway do not herd pods of whales into the shallow inlets and bays, then slaughter all of them.
We invented a very scientific harpoon so to kill the whale as quick as possible.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Oh I'm not particularly interested in the wider meat eating issue, I was specifically challenging your comments about barren landscapes and frozen livestock, implying that Norway needs to kill whales.
I wouldn't want anyone to believe such silliness.

You also stated Japan's whale killing is 'unnecessary', the same can equally be said about Norway.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Aww. The poor whales. I support the men and women that do this work to make a living. I think its sick that these whalehuggers want to deprive people of the ability to support families.

Just another instance of "I support the whales because they are OOOO sooooo cute!!!".

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Humbaba

Lol Norway is a rich nation with a generous welfare state and low unemployment.
Like children are gonna starve if whale hunting stopped, drama queen response or what, but thanks for the genuine laugh.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I was specifically challenging your comments about barren landscapes and frozen livestock, implying that Norway needs to kill whales.
I wouldn't want anyone to believe such silliness.

Neither are the Scandinavians "hunting pregnant whales", as the thread title implies.

If people understood the hunt, watched it unfold from beginning to end, they would realize, understand better, why they do it the way they do.

Sadly, all some will see is blood and thrashing death throes, they never hunted or fished a day in their lives. Would be equally incensed if they witnessed chickens, pigs or cattle being slaughtered in death factories. But thats okay they don't see that, its carried on behind closed doors. Complain about some far off country they don't like what they see, but buy their meat at the store, too.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Yeah, like I said, I don't really care about the wider meat eating issue.
You implied that Norway needs to kill whales and I corrected you.
The rest, meh, I'll leave that for you to discuss with others.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I do not see anything hypocritical?
To what are you referring...?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yeah, like I said, I don't really care about the wider meat eating issue.
You implied that Norway needs to kill whales and I corrected you.
The rest, meh, I'll leave that for you to discuss with others.

I don't agree with it, I wouldn't do it, I'm not them, I get why they do it; get my content straight for once. Or stop harboring resentment...

which?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Yah, Norway doesn't need to kill whales to feed it's people as you incorrectly implied originally. It is as unnecessary for them to do so as Japan which you correctly stated in the same post I responded to.
The rest though, again, meh.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Yah, Norway doesn't need to kill whales to feed it's people as you incorrectly implied originally.

Its up to them not me for one, even correcting you about my stance (so you get it) still doesn't get thru.

You're a troll obviously, still peeved about some other way back thread about refugees in the UK.

Tempting me into some TnC violation that you can then alert on and run giggling... isn't working.

But do go on...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join