It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scandinavian Hypocrisy: Activists' fury over Norway hunt of pregnant whales

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Lol no, not at all, I just call out inaccuracies in debate to avoid confusion for others.
And yes, I agree it is up to Norway what they choose to do. I've never said it wasn't.

...but again meh, I'll leave those discussions for you and others. I'm happy to have pointed out that Norway does not need to eat whales as you implied originally with the barren landscape and frozen livestock lines.

*edit*
You were correct when you stated that it is unnecessary for Japan to kill whales for school lunch meals.
Equally it would be correct to say the same about Norway.
edit on 9.3.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Norway’s Whaling Program Just Got Even More Controversial

A new document shows meat from whale hunts going to a company that makes feed for animals on fur farms.
So few people in Norway want to eat whale meat that it’s ending up in the feed manufactured for animals on fur farms, according to a new document released by the Environmental Investigation Agency, a London-based nonprofit, and the U.S.-based Animal Welfare Institute. The document shows that more than 113 metric tons of minke whale products—equivalent to about 75 whales—was bought or used by Rogaland Pelsdyrfôrlaget, the largest manufacturer of animal feed for Norway’s fur industry.

Leave the whales alone.
edit on 9-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
In these barren, remote countries little grows from the ground and livestock freeze before they starve.

This is the most accurate description of Norway I have seen. This explains why the primary occupation of Norsemen was farming and the word for "wealth" was cattle.

Millions of impoverished Norwegians die each day from starvation. Donate a kebab today. They may not see tomorrow...
[Sarah McLachlan music]

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya

originally posted by: intrptr
In these barren, remote countries little grows from the ground and livestock freeze before they starve.

This is the most accurate description of Norway I have seen. This explains why the primary occupation of Norsemen was farming and the word for "wealth" was cattle.

Millions of impoverished Norwegians die each day from starvation. Donate a kebab today. They may not see tomorrow...
[Sarah McLachlan music]

According to a map, "Scandinavia" includes Norway and Sweden, the greener 'parts' aren't in Norway. The coastal regions are in fact mountainous, mostly barren, and mostly cold as well. There is a shorter growing season, where they do grow some things, according to this, they grow a 190, ooo tons of vegetables a year. I grow more corn in my back yard.

Their primary food source remains produce from the sea... again according to google...

Sink your teeth into popular Norwegian meals such as Røkt laks (smoked salmon), fiskesuppe (fish soup), sild (pickled herring) and gravlaks, which is made with salmon filets marinated in a dill mixture and served with piquant mustard sauce.Jan 13, 2016

Whale isn't popular I guess. Neither are the shores and bays where fishing villages abound amongst the many inlets Norway is famous for, any but barren scrub covered crags and wind swept shores. There ain't a tree or farm in sight in the many videos I've watched of the whale hunts, just shoreline and ocean.

Any produce or "livestock" they get is trucked or shipped in at great cost, they'd rather fish, like many coastal communities round the world. If they weren't so remote maybe they could take a stab at gardening along the Norwegian coast , but the harvest is less certain than the sea, and they know it.

Oh and by the way they don't intentionally 'hunt pregnant whales', the migration is accompanied by a few pregnant females, pods of whales are a mix of all, old, young and female, they try to cut out a sizable number from a herd (as many as possible), then drive them back to the bay where the "slaughter house" waits.

I'd love to see people in the states or the UK protest the trains and trucks filled with cattle being 'driven' to the slaughterhouse... poor cows.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

What thank you, that was the first civil response I remember receiving from you in a long time.

Dunno, some inlet villages along the coastal regions of Norway get little else that isn't from the sea. They produce nothing there, except seafood.

Sure they get tired of it, I would too. What choice do they have, though? Pay the high cost of freight? Or go fishing...

see my reply above^^^

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux
a reply to: SecondTierSuburbsGuy

I do not see anything hypocritical?
To what are you referring...?

Same question.

Someone needs to stand up against this, good for them.

Video about the whales. see here
edit on 10-3-2017 by dreamingawake because: v link didn't work

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Cost of freight is no big deal for food in Europe. 40% of Britain's food is imported, tomatoes from Spain, even lamb from New Zealand accounts for 20% of that market.

Think how far California sends it's fruit around the US.
Nah, freight costs and food variety scarcity is not a problem particular to Norway which would require them to eat whales.
The world of transportation and logistics has improved since the 17/1800's.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Why am I supposed to care more about whales than other foodstuffs?

Really opening the door here.
Let other people eat what they want(except people obvi)

Muslims and Jews don't eat pork, among other animals.

Many hindus worship the cow.

Other religions have other sacred animals.

And Don't even start on IQ. The Pig makes the top 10 list.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

I agree. Certainly my own comments here have been specifically concerning the lack of need to eat whales as another member implied.
I've eaten dog, cat, horse, tarantulas, bats and much more. Protein is protein to me.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Working as I did for many years in the commercial fishing industry I had many, as in lots of, encounters with whales of differing species (orca, gray, humpback, sperm, even a blue once.) To call them animals is to completely miss what they truly are, which is intelligent, caring beings.

Whale hunting is barbarous, and needs to stop.

To equate them with cattle is akin to comparing apples to dirt clumps.

There is an intelligence there that in its own way every bit a match for our own, I've looked into the eyes of a gray whale, and someone looked back.

Who was it that attempted to make "whalehuggers" into an insult? Nope. Complement, and one I'll cheerfully accept.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Nope, they are animals. Intelligent mammals of course but non human animals nonetheless.
If you are vegan then I'll see your point, but determining right to be saved from the pot based on intelligence and level of caring is a very weak argument.
Is the life of a low mental functioning animal worth less to you? Is that your entire case?

I'll eat anything, even primates if I had little choice.
If you eat any animals then argue it's only okay to eat stupid animals...well that seems a difficult moral stance to defend.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
But...we're all hypocrites in some way. Does that mean that non of us should stand for anything? I don't like crime but I've committed crimes in the past. I don't like any of the congressional republicans in office but I've voted for Republicans in the past. I don't like trump but at some point in the past I had bought his book. I don't eat dogs but I do eat meat. Where does it end??

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'll disagree with you and call it a day.

I've been up close with them on many an occasion, they are not like other intelligent animals.

I care not, in the slightest, whether you agree or not.

...and no, I'm not a vegan, nor do I ever intend to be one. Changes my opinion not one jot.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I'll eat anything, even primates if I had little choice.

Thats a weak argument.
The people eating whale meat are not in a position of having little choice are they?

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That's cool, even emotionally based arguments have their place in my mind, if only for amusement reasons.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Oh dear, perhaps you missed that I was merely commenting on my own meat eating decisions, and all through this thread I've argued the case that Icelandic people do not need to eat whales.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: SecondTierSuburbsGuy

Sick bastards. I would think a "professional" would take all aspects into account, especially the state of the animal in question. I would agree to sanctions on norway until they change this behavior for good. Stop killing whales.

Minke whales aren't in any way threatened and are, in fact, overpopulated in some areas of the arctic. This overpopulation poses a threat to the more at risk whale populations which rely on the same feeding grounds as the Minke. It makes perfect sense to thin the herd and take females over the males. One male can reproduce many times per year, each female can do so only once.

Please learn about population management of animals before making comments about the practice.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Oh dear, perhaps you missed that I was merely commenting on my own meat eating decisions, and all through this thread I've argued the case that Icelandic people do not need to eat whales.
Sorry, had you confused with a different poster.

Whats up with the stories I am seeing of the whale meat being turned into dog food?

This is just corporate greed, they can make money hunting whales, so they do.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

No worries

...and yep, it's always about the £/$/€

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I hunt. I fish. I kill and eat animals. I would not knowingly take a gravid mother for sport or for food. It does not make sense to deplete any population of gravid mothers. Minke whales are no different than cows or deer in this respect.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join