It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heart failure Breakthrough: Stem cells trial-hope to millions/biggest breakthrough since transplants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Looks like implanted stem cells can reverse scarring damage to the heart.

Perhaps global trials for 100s of patients will fast track this stem cell process that repairs the heart.

www.express.co.uk...
A high-level meeting has paved the way for global trials to begin on hundreds of patients.

British scientists have found a way to use stem cells to repair damaged tissue which could help millions living with heart failure, the UK’s leading cause of death.

Steve Westaby world renowned cardiac surgeon who helped pioneer the new stem cell technique said it had been thought to be impossible to repair heart damage (scarring). But results of trials that began in Greece 5 years ago say other wise. Preliminary data show that heart scarring can be reversed by 79%.

World renowned cardiac surgeon Professor Steve Westaby, who helped pioneer the revolutionary technique, said it had been thought that repairing heart damage was impossible.

But results from a long-term trial that began in Greece five years ago have shown that this is not the case.

Preliminary data from this trial showed the engineered stem cells, known as Heartcel, can reverse scarring by up to 79 per cent.

edit on 26-2-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If they've already been doing trials for five years it should go to market NOW.

Outrageous.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

This may very well cut the profits of many different procedures and drugs.

Of course stem cell therapy sounds expensive. So I guess we will have to see what happens.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

Outrageous.

Dude.. This is great news. We can all wish it happened yesterday. Yesterday is gone.

I only ever hear good things about stem cells. Seems like one day we will engineer our bodies to have long telemeres and keep producing stem cells to go into areas of inflammation and yea.. There is no real need for a human body to die. Aging has many factors but none of them are impossible to overcome.

I am not obsessed with staying alive. But if you can fix my heart or my liver or my lungs?

the last time I saw my grandfather I was taking care of him after a heart attack. I wish he was still around.

Man this is awesome.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Agree, there is a limitless amount of work that needs to be done. This is great news/

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Exciting news !

Stem cells are our basic start in life.

It makes sense that they have life giving purpose.

Placenta harvesting and research will lead to much more.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
DP slow tonight ...

edit on 27-2-2017 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

originally posted by: Restricted

Outrageous.

Dude.. This is great news. We can all wish it happened yesterday. Yesterday is gone.

I only ever hear good things about stem cells. Seems like one day we will engineer our bodies to have long telemeres and keep producing stem cells to go into areas of inflammation and yea.. There is no real need for a human body to die. Aging has many factors but none of them are impossible to overcome.

I am not obsessed with staying alive. But if you can fix my heart or my liver or my lungs?

the last time I saw my grandfather I was taking care of him after a heart attack. I wish he was still around.

Man this is awesome.

I don't want to live forever either. All I'm asking for is quality of life.

Interestingly, NASA's Twin Study showed that telomeres repair themselves, growing longer in space. Maybe, one day, space will be an approved health therapy.

Yeah, I'm dreaming, but wouldn't it be cool if . . .

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I still wonder if having the umbilical blood frozen is a good idea?

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This is wonderful news for myself and untold billions of others. Good things are happening in the medical field.
Thanks OP.........S&F.
Regards I winder

top topics

join