It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did all of the bigotry come from? (You are not to blame)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I agree with a lot of what puppylove says, but I also believe there is atleast a tinge of truth the article as well but that may be bias from my own personal experiences since the election.

This is just my own personal experience, and may not be the same for others, but within my family I have watched since about mid to late 2015, through this election to now, a drastic increase in atleast bigotry, and possibly racism. Things that were never said before, now come out regularly, anger comes out more regularly. I wont say how the relation is but I've watched this happen closely with someone I live with. Before this, you knew they held some controversial views, very into conspiracies, odd topics, (I cant say im not into those either..I mean im here on ATS) But as the election continued I noticed not only anger growing in this person but others I had been friends with for years, with this one person in particular its gotten to the point where anti-gay sentiments have become the norm anytime its brought up, anti-muslim sentiments have become the norm anytime its brought up, and gets angry when quite honestly anything anti trump comes across the tv or radio. And I have noticed this trend with multiple others that I know. Prior to this year essentially these statements were never really said publically by these people, and I dont know if its now that they feel empowered to let out everything now, or its being driven by fear, but I have unquestionably watched it grow in my personal experience

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: trb71

Im sorry you have to live with someone like that. I still love my relatives who are similar but I must keep an arms distance from them, and not just bc I dont like hearing dumb racist remarks...they are full of hate and a fight is sure to happen when I spend too much time with them, usually not with me, but voices raised, in front of children, just negativity all around...they are draining and miserable and its sad. I still love them tho.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: trb71

I've seen that. I'm not saying these people don't exist and aren't feeling empowered by the political changes. Thing is the political change that allows for this is the excessive levels of SJW type tactics that focus on silly things like microaggressions and taking anything even slightly perceivable as prejudiced and blowing it up and ruining lives over it so long that people have started to become desensitized to it and push back.

It's not Trump, it's that things have hit a breaking point with Trump being at the right place and time to be the catalyst for it. The way to fix this is not more of the same which caused it. People like this are feeling empowered because the term racist has lost it's power because it's being applied too often over stupid things, and too broadly to large swathes of people unfairly. Doing more of the same cannot fix this, will simply result in more push back, and more emboldening as more and more people are made not to care as they are all being painted with the same brush as those who actually deserve it.

Instead of adapting to the political and societal shift, people just keep trying to do the same things even louder as if the things that just lost their mojo will suddenly get them back if they just scream loud enough. Is not how it works, screaming racist no matter how loud has lost it's power and it's the fault of those who over used it as a weapon.
edit on 2/23/2017 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Quite frankly Im sick of hearing about how white people are racist, were either hiding it, in denial or just inherently racist according to all the BS thats out there.

This is basically it.

Spend enough time labeling others and you end up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy in the sense that people who weren't racist and really didn't care end up hating you because they get so d*** sick and tired of the constant crap.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
Absolutely. It was accepted with contempt and only by force of law. In many cases Federal law when local law fell short.

Recently, those that are racist or simply insecure in themselves, they NEED, they must have, someone to discriminate against (helped along by Trump) have come out of the shadows again.

I just want to beat them back with a baseball bat, but they should go back into the shadows on their own.

To slither with the low things, in the dark, where they belong.

You can't be serious right now?
You actually think white racism has been hibernating waiting for the time to strike?
No wonder you all confuse a priest for KKK member and microscope's with dust covers over them for someone wearing a white KKK hood.

I just want to beat them back with a baseball bat, but they should go back into the shadows on their own.

In other words violently oppose them?
Better be careful what you wish for there Snowflake-Cupcake.
Keep advocating violence and it will eventually find you.
It's called KARMA!!!
The left is about to get a huge crash course in it.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
I think the article is great. Some very cogent points are made like people professing to be colour - blind and yet seeking colour differences.

The point with not being racist is not in that one is colour blind .... but that

one recognises ALL the various hews, and it doesn't make a jot of difference.

The author also observes that the modern Germans are more apologetic of their past than some modern whites are of their own racist past.

Its about time people stopped apologising for the long ago past three and

more generations in the past. Lessons have been learned and the world

has moved forward. How can anyone be expected to apologise for what

happened before they were ever conceived.

Also I am privy to various black-only discussions and most of the time no one even mentions whites. it is more about other issues and ideas.

Black-only? .... surely that could be construed as racist?

Have I suffered racism probably recently. It took the white-collar path. And it was the subtle comment that "they would not accept him as a manager". Make of that what you will. How did I feel? Well shame on them.

Chip on your shoulder? Was it because you were black? or did they

think you were not qualified enough or maybe punching above your

credentials?

Happens to whites, and all colours between too.

There's nothing as unattractive as someone constantly making excuses

with their chip showing!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sadly very true. Keep telling people they are racist no matter what they do, and eventually they'll start doing racist things just to spite you.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I read that article and came to realize what a God awful lost cause the US is. There's absolutely no fixing it. The US will NEVER overcome the legacy of slavery and the civil war.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: ketsuko

Sadly very true. Keep telling people they are racist no matter what they do, and eventually they'll start doing racist things just to spite you.

No, thats not how most people work.

We think alot alike, except I do not think this is just a scab that is being picked. I believe it is a sweltering oozing wound that will get worse if left alone.

perhaps the reason why some do not see it as a problem is bc they are never in contact with them, good for you, but just bc you do not see it does not mean it is not there.

I do believe, just as many, that racism was in hibernation, so to say, and Trump becoming president has given them courage to flame back up. I am also finding that having our first black president (also giving equal rights to other minorities) set the extreme racist over the edge. I didnt think it was that bad and denied this for awhile but an finding it to be sadly true.

Im sorry, but ignoring it will not make it go away. Im sorry that you consider it a "buzz word" and im sorry that words have lost their meaning to you.
edit on 23-2-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

I read that article and came to realize what a God awful lost cause the US is. There's absolutely no fixing it. The US will NEVER overcome the legacy of slavery and the civil war.

This is an ongoing problem in many countries and we have jumped hurdles and come a LONG way as Americans to overcome some of the evils of slavery...it is not as prevalent as it once was, however, this evil is still lurking out there, and its targeting other minorities.

America is a great country, it is not f*cked. There is alot more racism and bigotry than I thought there was, but we are not a "God awful cause".

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

thanks, and Ive already read that, I understand how you feel about this.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The problem is you lose people that are not racist in the rush to label everything racist... while using broad brush strokes to paint a group as the problem using just skin color as the catalyst....

I am not saying just you, but things like this article do not help, it makes people feel defensive over something they had zero control over. (who their parents were)

My family came over right after the civil war on my moms side as indentured servants... my dads side came over during ww1 with nothing more than the clothes on his back... but because I am white, a growing segment of society says I am oppressing people.

that type of dialogue makes me want to withdraw instead of help against the racists that are still there, and yes I have grown more bigoted as I have gotten older, and I am slower to reach out to anyone until I know they can be trusted.

So either actually say what you mean, and gain more people to help stomp it out... or keep using broad brush strokes to paint people by the color of their skin and lose that help.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

The problem is you lose people that are not racist in the rush to label everything racist... while using broad brush strokes to paint a group as the problem using just skin color as the catalyst....

I am not saying just you, but things like this article do not help, it makes people feel defensive over something they had zero control over. (who their parents were)

My family came over right after the civil war on my moms side as indentured servants... my dads side came over during ww1 with nothing more than the clothes on his back... but because I am white, a growing segment of society says I am oppressing people.

that type of dialogue makes me want to withdraw instead of help against the racists that are still there, and yes I have grown more bigoted as I have gotten older, and I am slower to reach out to anyone until I know they can be trusted.

So either actually say what you mean, and gain more people to help stomp it out... or keep using broad brush strokes to paint people by the color of their skin and lose that help.

im sorry but, the only people who feel defensive are the racist themselves. You are the one using the broad paint stroke, i in no way shape or form am calling a whole group of people racist, just calling the racists racists.

edit on 23-2-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Then why on god's green earth do you think continuing to scream racist even louder is going to magically help anything when it hasn't so far and is clearly turning more and more people away? Your focus should be on uniting people not pushing our differences.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

That's bull#.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I think what blacks should do is organize for a lot of them to move to one state and then run the state government how they want.

Kind of like Utah for mormons.

I'm not saying it to make people move away from me or anything. I am saying if a state could get a black majority they could run the state and make laws to make it completely racist free.

Mississippi is already 40+% black. It's the best candidate.

What do you think veracity?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Then why on god's green earth do you think continuing to scream racist even louder is going to magically help anything when it hasn't so far and is clearly turning more and more people away? Your focus should be on uniting people not pushing our differences.

sigh...

we see things differently, remember i gave the analogy of the sweltering sore and scab

(sorry gross)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

edit on 23-2-2017 by veracity because: dbl post

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
I think what blacks should do is organize for a lot of them to move to one state and then run the state government how they want.

Kind of like Utah for mormons.

I'm not saying it to make people move away from me or anything. I am saying if a state could get a black majority they could run the state and make laws to make it completely racist free.

Mississippi is already 40+% black. It's the best candidate.

What do you think veracity?

you are kidding...right?

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join