It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizoid Personality disorder.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I write this for one of two reasons. One is that I think I show classic symptoms of it in my personal life, and two, the disorder kind of interests me because it's a disorder that causes a person to act contrary to what's expected in a social society. If you don't know what Schizoid Personality is, here's a synopsis:

Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary or sheltered lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, and apathy. Affected individuals may be unable to form intimate attachments to others and simultaneously demonstrate a rich, elaborate and exclusively internal fantasy world.[1][2]:p. 706

Schizoid

Now, I guess a little background is required.

I have always, well, at least since I was about 11 years old, been a "loner." I mean, the type of person that could be living in your house and with exception to seeing me and maybe occasionally hearing me answer a question when asked, you'd never even really know I was there. I am not the type of person to sit and chit-chat about random things or joke around.
I am 39 years old. Never been married. No children. Sure, I have had a handful of girlfriends, but nothing that lasted more than a few months.
I don't develop tight personal bonds with most people, even immediate family. I mean I care about them, but the closeness just isn't there.
I don't get lonely. I mean, I have lived alone most of my adult life and it frankly does not bother me in the slightest. You know, most people can only stand solitude for a certain amount of time. I have been known to do nothing but go to work, go home to an empty house for months on end... Never bothered me.
In social situations, I tend to say little to nothing to anyone. I just constantly listen, watch and analyze. I know it's weird.
I can say it's weird because I watch how other people act, and it doesn't coincide with my actions at all.
I am not sure if I have Schizoid Personality disorder, but given it's diagnosable symptoms, I'd say it's probably a safe assumption. Maybe there is a psychologist here at ATS that would be willing to give some feedback on this. Thank you.
edit on 21-2-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

I wouldn't try to peg myself to harshly if i were you. You obviously are an observer type that takes a detached interest in life around you. Many of us are "loners" that don't fit the text book definition of "normal" but yet are outside of both that field and even that of some malady found in the pages of the DSM.

I don't advise asking for this sort of "help" on ATS. It just isn't wise.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If the description fits you, then think of it as a personality type rather than a personality "disorder", whatever the official jargon says. There's no need to be alarmed by the word "schizoid". It's not something that's going to kill you or anybody else.
The best answer may be to accept it as a description of yourself, if it's accurate, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

edit on 21-2-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I don't advise asking for this sort of "help" on ATS. It just isn't wise.
Lol, most likely good advice

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yeah, everything is a "disorder" or "illness" nowadays.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Did you do the test, and what did you get?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm no shrink, but that sounds like too many emotions to fit the "no emotions" label you are trying to fit into.

Don't be so shy, you don't have to be profound to speak.

I was the same way, shy as hell.

Now, I say all kinds of stupid stuff.

You just got to fling some poo and see what sticks.

Then they won't think you are pissed off or plotting, because they can't read your melon.

People think the worst thing first for some reason.

Probably a leftover caveman thing.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I'm schizotypic which is pretty much the same symptoms, "i like it if i can get it my way", though it doesn't come without some problems.

I got my pension because of it and i'm only 44, so now life as a schizotypic is tolerable.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It's a spectrum. Having the actual disorder is rare. You may have schizoid traits.

Most people on ATS are likely are going to be at least a bit traited to schizotypal. Odd and a lack of a box on our thinking draws us to a site like this.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Virtuoso

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Now read your profile and like Michael J. sings it;" Make a ChAaaaAnge! "

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think that being alone a lot but not lonely is a good thing. If you are content, then that's a positive in my book. Good luck on figuring things out, but like someone said here: Don't be too hard on yourself.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

It said Clint Eastwood was the same personality type, which, heh, I can believe it. He plays the silent, dour roles too well... Lol

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Anything particular happened when you were 11, as you mentioned that age ? Maybe profound changes to your social structures ? I'm asking because I can relate very well to your description and I blame my change of personality to substancial changes at the age of 14
edit on 21-2-2017 by alexpmi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Maybe you have Aspergers Syndrome.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Sounds more like Sociopathy tendency to me than schizoid......

lack of empathy, unable to make the connections emotionally most people do...

Not that its means youre a bad person

just my two cents
edit on 2/21/2017 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Really good description of me and i am fine with it as long as i goes my way

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: alexpmi

That's the thing, I have tried to pinpoint what brought about the change, and I can't pinpoint any one particular thing. Maybe it was just a change in awareness. All I know is that around eleven years of age I drastically changed. I went from being the "class clown" to "getting him to interact is like pulling eye teeth."

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It's possible. I have wondered that myself. Thing is, I know what sadness and anger are. Have felt both intensely before. So, I don't think it's sociopathy

<<   2  3 >>

join