It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab-Grown Meat Is Healthier. It’s Cheaper. It’s the Future

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Go for it.

It's science, right?

Science is never wrong! So the first people I want to see nom nom nomming are the Man-made climate change advocates.

Because science never makes mistakes.

They should.
Frankenmeat should make global-warming bovine flatulence a thing of the past.

Frankenmeat.

I want to join a PETA website and have that as my user name.

Or start a band with that name.

Or name my kid. . . .

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: SolAquarius

It's people in the movie.

Oh I know about the movie.

I just find it interesting that there is now a meal product
available that plays off of Soylent Green.

It's a drink developed by a Silicon Valley start up.

link   

edit on 21-2-2017 by SolAquarius because: double post

link   

edit on 21-2-2017 by SolAquarius because: tripple post

link   

edit on 21-2-2017 by SolAquarius because: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PRESS POST OVER AND OVER

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: tikbalang

Bugs are actually quite healthy, and very sustainable. Grub worms and such are a lot of protein at a fraction of what a cow takes in food and water, I think bugs are a good future.

So..this:

or this:

I thought we were an advanced, civilized race. hmmm..... No bugs or lab meat for me..the only way I'd eat either would be in the zombie apocalypse type situation. And even then I might just become a vegetarian..

blend57

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lolliek

originally posted by Intrptr:

Anyone who has ever had real grass fed beef slo grown to maturity without hormones, or a free roaming chicken knows the difference.

Absolutely! Unfortunately, those of us who have tasted home-grown are getting fewer and fewer. Best I can describe it is it's like a homegrown tomato versus a supermarket tomato. More people can relate to that.

Something to think about is that if the human race actually makes it to the stars, lab created protein will be the norm. Science Fiction writers have already introduced it. It was only a matter of time....

Love gardening, too bad my parents sold the family homestead, can't do that anymore. Not everyone knows the difference, like you said.

As far as reaching the stars, Earth is our star ship, its all we got. Heinlein wrote really good sic fi, (nom, nom) but it was still sic fi.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I saw this several years ago, But honestly, BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Conventional farming methods are extremely outdated and unbelievably wasteful and harmful to the environment. If it's healthier, cheaper, cuts down on water usage, pollution emissions, land use, production costs, and so forth, then why the hell aren't we trying to make this happen sooner?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Will give it a shot. Its not like the toxic sewage I eat weekly is somehow healthy. If you choose to eat meat anyhow, you've already chosen to live unhealthy..so whats to lose.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
It actually sounds like a great idea. Especially if they can keep the cost down.

Although, why Lab meat?
Wouldn't other breeds of dog produce more?

You thinking mangled mastiff or bulldog beef?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
I saw this several years ago, But honestly, BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Conventional farming methods are extremely outdated and unbelievably wasteful and harmful to the environment. If it's healthier, cheaper, cuts down on water usage, pollution emissions, land use, production costs, and so forth, then why the hell aren't we trying to make this happen sooner?

Because it's not about farmers or farming methods.

It's about general health and well-being.

You can clone whatever you want. Heck, we could make people meat.... cloned from real people if we wanted.

But cannibalism aside it would not actually be person, cow, pig, duck or whatever else the laboratory of Dr Moreau might creates. It's a lower quality phony product that will not compare with taste and nutritional value.

Having grown up in the country, I can tell you it's 100% fact that the diet of the animal affects it's taste. And it also affects what vitamins and minerals are present in the meat.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

In other words, meat will all taste like agar now.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Yes, absolutely. The way an animal is raised and kept will certainly effect the taste of the meat.

However, it's not as if it would be impossible to replicate those effects, and add whatever vitamins and minerals we want. It is lab grown after all.

Of course, it will take some time before it is comparable to traditional meat.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Considering we are talking about meat for mass consumption, do you really think they are going to put forth the effort to recreate the nuance of flavor found in ... say a fine Serrano ham? Or perhaps the best Kobe beef? Or just plain ol' corn fed Iowa beef?

Nah, I bet that they'll just have stuff that really tastes like growth medium and it won't taste like what the first generation to be forced onto it remembers as meat, but pretty soon with successive generations, no one will remember what real meat tastes like.

edit on 21-2-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Wasn't margarine supposed to be healthier than butter?

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't see why they wouldn't. If it sells more because it matches the flavor and texture more precisely, then of course they would do it. It wouldn't be an expensive process, regardless.

But you are absolutely correct, for the time being. It was tested by a chef (i believe, from what I remember several years ago when I first heard about it), and he said it was a bit dry and lacked flavor. But it's in it's initial phase. It would be remarkably stupid for them from a business perspective to sell it like it is.

The fact is, it will be cheap and accessible in the future. Massive companies like McDonalds will stop buying the more expensive, time consuming, traditional meat and opt for this because it allows them to make more money. They will demand a specific quality to be as close to a match as possible to it's predecessor, and as we know, technology is exponential in both speed of growth as well as lowering of cost, so it will only be a short time before this gets mass produced and indistinguishable from traditional meat.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Years from now, some survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse will ask how it all got started.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Why bother?

You said it yourself: cheap and accessible. They don't have to go all out to make it taste authentic. At best, we'll have the Jelly Belly version of those flavors - vaguely reminiscent of but not really like - more like a parody of those flavors than the actual flavors.

posted on Feb, 21 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

if it is cheap to make it taste authentic, and it's what the customers want, then it's obvious that they would make that insignificant (in money and effort) addition.

I'm not sure why this is a debate? Do you believe it would be difficult and expensive to make it more authentic?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join