It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s Still Using His Old Android Phone. That’s Very, Very Risky

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Would people rather he used a Crackberry???

I quote:

The BlackBerry software includes support for the Dual EC DRBG CSPRNG algorithm which, due to being probably backdoored by the NSA, the US National Institute of Standards and Technology "strongly recommends" no longer be used. BlackBerry Ltd. has however not issued an advisory to its customers, because they do not consider the probable backdoor a vulnerability. BlackBerry Ltd. also owns US patent 2007189527, which covers the technical design of the backdoor.

Link

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: sad_eyed_lady

I think you are missing the point of my concern. I'm not complaining about Trump's continued usage of Twitter. I'm concerned that the device he is using to use the medium is unsecured and as the President that leaves him VERY open to attacks. He's not some every day person anymore. He has the ENTIRE world's attention. That includes many people who don't like him.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

So why don't they just block his android device from accessing the White House wireless network? Did these cyber security experts forget how to do their job?

This is a non-issue. The left are just looking for reasons to put Trump in bad light.

There are more issues wrong here than just that, but what you said IS probably something the Secret Service has already done.

Well then please explain what other issues there are. As an expert in the IT field, I can't think of one reason he cant have a personal phone that isn't allowed on the network other than storing classified info on it.

Read the article. It's all explained very nicely by Wired.

I did read it, which is why I said I think it's just another hit-piece from the left. I understand the issued phone ordeal and all official business should be conducted over the issued phone. But posting on his personal Twitter account with his personal phone, that's a non-issue being blown out of proportion and am yet to see any security threats that can arise from that.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

It isn't. I'm suggesting that he should use twitter from the secured phone instead of using the unsecured one. Unless the Secret Service forbids it, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that since @POTUS has its own twitter account.

The article said he was given a new secure phone and still plans to twitter.

Obama had his own.

The tweets from outgoing President Barack Obama’s eight years in office, meanwhile, will be preserved and transferred to the account @Potus44.

edit on 1/26/2017 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Isn't that what they criticised Hillary for? Double standards again.
Ha ha.
One way or another they're gonna a get him .
This is so funny.

Wow, talk about ignorance. Hillary was criticized for risking national security by transmitting classified info using an unauthorized device. On top of that, she setup a personal server in her home that stored classified info. She violated numerous laws regarding the safeguard of classified information.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Well if you'd read the article, it mentions he was using it for Twitter. Plus what you THINK he is using it for is irrelevant. What matters is what he is actually using it for, which is anyone's guess.

I agree...it needs to be addressed. As an executive, he has to understand the concept of taking unwanted but correct advice from advisors and professionals within his circle. I can't imagine the SS hasn't pursued the matter forcefully with him, and if they haven't they are sharing some blame as well (along with his Chief of Staff, who should be pushing him to act accordingly).

For those waving this as his version of Hillary's snafu's....not buying that. Him resisting change is a different animal than setting up an unapproved network in your home. Although if he ignores advisors (and the security policies), i'd expect someone to try to force him to comply.

Exactly! At least someone understands the seriousness of what I'm trying to get across here. This is VERY dangerous ground that Trump is treading and if something goes wrong, it could have some extremely bad consequences.

I wonder. If Trump ends up assassinated and the investigation turns up that the assassin had tracked Trump's location through hacked data from his Samsung phone, will his supporters be singing the same tune?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So why don't they just block his android device from accessing the White House wireless network? Did these cyber security experts forget how to do their job?

This is a non-issue. The left are just looking for reasons to put Trump in bad light.

There are more issues wrong here than just that, but what you said IS probably something the Secret Service has already done.

Well then please explain what other issues there are. As an expert in the IT field, I can't think of one reason he cant have a personal phone that isn't allowed on the network other than storing classified info on it.

I did read it, which is why I said I think it's just another hit-piece from the left. I understand the issued phone ordeal and all official business should be conducted over the issued phone. But posting on his personal Twitter account with his personal phone, that's a non-issue being blown out of proportion and am yet to see any security threats that can arise from that.

You have no problem with a hacker knowing Trump's exact location at any time? Because the Secret Service certainly does.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sad_eyed_lady

It isn't. I'm suggesting that he should use twitter from the secured phone instead of using the unsecured one. Unless the Secret Service forbids it, but I haven't heard anything to suggest that since @POTUS has its own twitter account.

Obama had his own.

The tweets from outgoing President Barack Obama’s eight years in office, meanwhile, will be preserved and transferred to the account @Potus44.

I don't see any evidence you posted showing that Obama used an unsecured phone to use Twitter.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Isn't his phone considered an unsecured device?
Isn't it unauthorized?
Isn't his instance to use it against the law?

I mean it was a few months ago wasn't it?
When it was Hillary's phone?

Isn't this considered extremely careless behavior?

Wasn't it a few months ago when it was what Hillary had done ?

And he's the president.
I'm sure he's got classified info .
He must be forwarding that to his keeper Putin.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: sad_eyed_lady

Obama had his own.

I don't see any evidence you posted showing that Obama used an unsecured phone to use Twitter.

Did I miss your evidence that Trump is using an unsecured phone to twitter on?
edit on 1/26/2017 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I thought you read the article after I called you out for not reading it last time?

If Trump does use his old Android smartphone in his spare time—which recent @realDonaldTrump tweets sent from Android seems to support—he’s leaving himself exposed to all manner of unsavory outcomes.

But then if you missed that, I ALSO posted this:

Apparently Trump has reclaimed his Android phone from his election days. This was noted by the Times in an unrelated article, but Wired wants to break down why this is a massive security issue. The article goes into several different concerns for him using this phone.

Which you'll notice has another link to a NYT piece that mentions this too (in a more offhand manner than Wired since the article isn't about his cell phone).

Mr. Trump’s wife, Melania, went back to New York on Sunday night with their 10-year-old son, Barron, and so Mr. Trump has the television — and his old, unsecured Android phone, to the protests of some of his aides — to keep him company. That was the case after 9 p.m. on Tuesday, when Mr. Trump appeared to be reacting to Bill O’Reilly’s show on Fox News, which was airing a feature on crime in Chicago.

So I guess, yes you DID miss my evidence.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Isn't his instance to use it against the law?

No. It actually isn't against the law. Wired points that out.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Politics is self identity. People will resist any attack on their identity.

Its why I don't try to convince anyone. Most of what I do here is vet ideas so I can decide my own personal viewpoints based on the smartest people I know: ATSers.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yea. You're right. Can't blame me for trying though.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I don't call that evidence. I call it MSM propaganda.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

You'd be amazed how many IT experts are in the membership here.
So very many. And FBI agents and soldiers with top secret clearance. You be really surprised.

So what can you tell us?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

GPS tracking, control of phone's cameras and microphones, keystroke logging, biometric data(if it has fingerprint scan, can't remember what model Samsung started using it), access to stored passwords, browsing history, all saved files, MITM attacks, control receiving/sending of messaging/texting/calling, etc. Playing with droids is my hobby, I probably flash a new ROM every week or so, I like to keep up with the nightlys for security reasons. I know what can be done if a phone is hacked/infected. # I can make your phone literally self destruct by changing governed voltages.

It's not what is on the phone, it's what can be done if hacked / infected.

With that being said, luckily Trump has likely not used it for anything other then twitter. His dislike of computers is well known. Also, I'm sure the SS has taken proper actions. They will know the risks like the ones I outlined above.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Then explain if you please, why they want him to stop using it?

Because it's a secure device?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Im neither in IT, nor am I in any government position (never have, beyond a state mental hospital as an aide). And I can sit and think of several issues off the top of my head, like mic activation, camera activation, and key logging. Knowing 1 passowrd can iterate mayhem exponentially as it gives insight into how he selects passwords.

I can't imagine an IT professional not being able to conjure up similar scenarios.

(post by YouSir removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join