It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s Still Using His Old Android Phone. That’s Very, Very Risky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Trump’s Still Using His Old Android Phone. That’s Very, Very Risky

Apparently Trump has reclaimed his Android phone from his election days. This was noted by the Times in an unrelated article, but Wired wants to break down why this is a massive security issue. The article goes into several different concerns for him using this phone.

Indecent Exposure

The headlining concern around Trump using Android is that he’s likely not protected against phishing attacks or malware. All it takes is clicking on one malicious link or opening one untoward attachment—either of which can appear as though it were sent from a trusted source—to compromise the device. From there, the phone could be infected with malware that spies on the network the device is connected to, logs keystrokes, takes over the camera and microphone for surreptitious recording, and more.

Open Season

Google is diligent about Android security, releasing monthly updates that patch known flaws. The problem, though, is that those updates are only available to a handful of devices at first, including those in Google’s own Nexus line.

Android phones have notoriously uneven security because the operating system is open source, allowing manufacturers and third-parties to put modified versions, or “forks,” of Android onto devices before selling them. This often makes it more difficult for phones to receive updates, patches, and full OS upgrades as they come out. As a result, phones that run stock Android can get regular security updates pushed from Google, but millions of devices will only have those improvements available on a delay, if ever. For some context, less than one percent of Android devices currently run the most recent major update, Android 7.0, which Google released late last summer.

Based on some photo analysis, Android Central thinks Trump may use a Samsung Galaxy S3, a model that was first released in 2012. Another report pegged it as a slightly more recent Galaxy S4. Regardless of specifics, any mainstream Android device would be problematic, even with some precautions in place.

And finally

Security Slips

The smartphone revelation joins a number of recent concerns about the Trump administration’s cyber hygiene. The hacker known as “WauchulaGhost” told CNN this week that the @POTUS, @FLOTUS, and @VP Twitter accounts are all prime targets for attack because they use easily guessed email addresses and don’t take advantage of two-factor authentication. Meanwhile, some White House staffers, including Sean Spicer and Jared Kushner, still maintain email accounts through the Republican National Committee. The practice is legal, but dicey given controversy over George W. Bush’s use of the same system and Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server, not to mention that Russian hackers breached the RNC email system during the 2016 presidential campaign season.

Technically it isn't illegal to do this, but come on. This is just smart practice. As the leader of the free world and a President with more than a few enemies, he can't possibly be thinking that navigating cyberspace on an unsecured connection is a good idea? Well Trump IS pretty much a Ludditte despite his Twitter account. So it's not surprising he is likely not up to speed on the dangers of what he is doing. I just wish he'd listen to advise on this.

Hopefully the Secret Service isn't as dumb as their boss and restricts that phone's access to secure servers and other government connections.
edit on 26-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Using his old Android phone for what? I doubt he uses it to txt sensitive information.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
Using his old Android phone for what? I doubt he uses it to txt sensitive information.

Pokémon GO?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Well if you'd read the article, it mentions he was using it for Twitter. Plus what you THINK he is using it for is irrelevant. What matters is what he is actually using it for, which is anyone's guess.

link   
Obama got a special phone because he liked BlackBerry's. I'm sure if the president asks nicely he can get one too.

+5 more 
link   
At least he's not storing classified E-mails on a server in his basement.

link   
Yeah, who do you think he is? Hillary?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

He DID get one.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well if you'd read the article, it mentions he was using it for Twitter. Plus what you THINK he is using it for is irrelevant. What matters is what he is actually using it for, which is anyone's guess.

Okay he is using it for twitter... Not to store the nuclear launch codes on.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Well we know he is using it for Twitter, that's it. We don't know what else he is using it for. He very well COULD be using it to store nuclear launch codes on for all we know.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You can lead a horse to water... Why am I so surprised?!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Can't say I'm too surprised by this revelation either... I'm already convinced Trump knows nothing about cyber security or what the industry entails. Hence his statements about the Russians hacking the DNC event.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Using it for Twitter? Oh no!!

Besides I very much doubt he is using it for whatsapp chats with world leaders. But then again, maybe he is.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Trump is an Android user?

Wow.

Now I really like him.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Are none of you understanding the risks involved with this? Did you not read the article that explains how this phone exposes Trump, The President of the United States of America, to any malicious hacker in the world who thinks they can get one over on him? How can you not see a problem with this?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That's funny CNN on Monday said he was forced to switch to a secure phone provided to him by the secret service, so which ones fake news?

link   
Donald Trump forced to hand over phone to Secret Service before inauguration

His new handset has been described as 'a secure, encrypted device approved by the Secret Service'

I heard otherwise so I searched and found this. If the MSM is dishing dirt on Trump it's wise to check it out. This story came from the UK.

link   
a reply to: sad_eyed_lady

You clearly didn't read my thread or the article.

If Trump does use his old Android smartphone in his spare time—which recent @realDonaldTrump tweets sent from Android seems to support—he’s leaving himself exposed to all manner of unsavory outcomes.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
well, fortunately or unfortunately,the F.B.I has gone on record saying, being careless and negligent with national security isn`t a crime.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
My bad. I will now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join