It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump may not enforce individual health insurance mandate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Good. Let's get that mandate out of the picture ASAP because I know a few people who are paying OUTRAGEOUS amounts because of it.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: introvert

source?

so if it was that bad how stupid were the dems for voting it in?

Pretty stupid.

Obama majorly screwed up with the ACA. To his credit he learned from it and didn't repeat the same mistake afterwards, but Obama was a novice to that style of politics at the time. He thought people would vote for bills they helped craft. He didn't realize that part of the strategy for a national party is to contribute poor ideas for a bill to make it fail, while voting against the bill.

That screw up is why single payer will have been delayed for 10-20 years.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Here's the actual article.

There are some differences if you look real close.

In fact some of the differences are why the current system is flawed.

Assuring Affordable Health Care for All Americans

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
Good. Let's get that mandate out of the picture ASAP because I know a few people who are paying OUTRAGEOUS amounts because of it.

The mandate is keeping prices down. Remove the mandate and many will simply drop health insurance all together until something serious happens, at which point they can buy and not be denied thanks to the pre existing conditions clause. This will cause the price of insurance to go up dramatically.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The "Mandate" is a false comfort zone.

About half the people have employer provided insurance.

Employers use "collective" style policies based on volume.

tables

edit on Jan-22-2017 by xuenchen because: fullydeductable

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

In fact some of the differences are why the current system is flawed.

The entire premise is flawed, no matter how it's tweeked or twisted.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: rickymouse
The worst part of the Obamacare mess is that many employers let their employee insurances go and upped the wage of their workers a bit to cover the Obamacare insurance. The prices of insurance are getting way out of hand, seventeen grand for a family, fifteen for a couple, and thirteen and a half for a single person. Companies can't afford to buy insurance anymore, so they just dumped the free insurance and Obamacare took over.

Now we have a worse situation than we had before Obamacare came out. Giving the doctors an open checkbook with no limits is causing a problem. They are scheduling way too many tests and finding nothing. They do nothing and the people get better, in the same time they would have got better without going to the doctor.

More people are insured so that's better. Most people are now properly insured rather than carrying what amounted to inadequate coverage so that's better.

The problem though is that health insurance is simply an unattainable concept, if you want to insure people against the inevitability of getting sick, you have to charge enough in premiums to cover serious ailments for the entire population, and then you have a profit margin on top of that. It just doesn't work. People have wider coverage these days, but the deductibles on the plans themselves have skyrocketed which makes insurance all but unusable for preventative care... in turn this will make things more expensive long term.

Really, we need to just go to single payer. It's the only system people have come up with so far that can actually work.

Back in the sixties and seventies, you could get a good insurance policy that covered all approved medical procedures without much of a deductible for forty bucks a month for a whole family. BSBS. And if both the husband and wife in the household were working and were insured There was no cost at all. My parents did not have coverage for medicine unless supplied by the doctor or hospital, the doctors gave out free sample medicine most times. The doctors absorbed the small deductible back then, their overhead was lower most places.

Now wages are about nine times what they were back then. So the forty bucks a month would equate to be three hundred sixty bucks now. But an equivalent whole family policy would run about triple that if you deduct the pharmacy insurance.

Why the big increase. Technology seems to be the thing that increases costs the most. All the technology needs to be paid for so doctors send us for tests to "rule out things" I see people running for expensive tests when they go in for a pain in the gut, all the tests are done and the doctor says take more magnesium or eat more fiber. Nothing is wrong. If they don't doing the tests the patient gets upset, they have expensive insurance and the doctor says take a magnesium supplement and sends them home. The problem is the more that the more patients spend on the policy the more they want to get their money's worth.

Doctors are usually not greedy, the technology they need has to be paid for, their help needs to be paid, and customers want more tests. Sure there are some bad doctors but most time the doctors are just trying to be nice and make sure the others in the medical trade have a paycheck.

We cannot fix this system, it is unfixable. We need to get socialized medicine. When a doctor treats a patient and they get fixed quickly in socialized medicine, they get a bonus. They get a salary. Healthcare workers all work for the government and everyone working there is accountable to the government that is supposed to be accountable to the people. This will lower the number of scammers and doctors will not need to send people to unneeded tests so the ones giving the test still have a job.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
I had my taxes taken because of this,and many more,you should of researched,this was forced on the people,only ones who benefited was the liberals in office,so you think it's ok for the government to take someones return?,I think your a fool,I worked all year,some have never worked in their lives,and I can go on Disability as I'm 58% disabled but I prefer to work till I'm 70,I'm appaled at this lazy new generation where a conversation these days is 2 people texting each other ,give me give me attitude,things have gone to hell

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Kellyanne Conway, ... one of America's most successful women

Really. Pollster...

Guess that's today's standard.

She also ran a massively successful Presidential campaign that snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against overwhelming odds.

Or are women only considered successful if they're playing for your preferred team?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

We need to get socialized medicine. When a doctor treats a patient and they get fixed quickly in socialized medicine, they get a bonus.

Coming from the land of socialized medicine, the first thing a lot of people do when they earn enough... is to buy health insurance and use a private health provider. Why? Because it's nice to see a doctor when you need one, not in 3 years time.

Socialized medicine is not the panacea you seem to think it is. It also becomes an election tool geared towards good looking numbers, not quality of service.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That's not the expensive care. In the 60s and 70s cancer rates were lower, there was no AIDS treatment, and many diseases which were fatal back then, are less fatal today... your life can be extended another 20 years.

Your final 5 years of life involve something like 90% of your total health care costs.

In response to increasing life spans it has become necessary to take advantage of more preventative care, which means moving some of that end of life care forward increasing those costs.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

My body, my choice.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
If he gets rid of the individual mandate how does he expect to fund the preexisting condition clause? Or does he just expect the insurance companies to eat those losses with no kind of compensation?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
If he gets rid of the individual mandate how does he expect to fund the preexisting condition clause? Or does he just expect the insurance companies to eat those losses with no kind of compensation?

The coverage will come from insurance pools. That is part of the suggested changes.

Also opening up the market so that insurance companies can sell across state lines will reduce costs. This will increase competition. There are some areas where there is only one or two insurance company choices, so they set their rates and you have no choice right now. If you can shop around to more insurance companies, then they will be forced to make their rates more competitive.

Tort reform would also help. Frivolous lawsuits drive up insurance costs, because doctors and hospitals much charge more to cover their legal costs.

Pharmaceutic companies are driving up the costs big time. They need to be reformed.

Trump's plans call for addressing all of these issues.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: carewemust
I had my taxes taken because of this,and many more,you should of researched,this was forced on the people,only ones who benefited was the liberals in office,so you think it's ok for the government to take someones return?,I think your a fool,I worked all year,some have never worked in their lives,and I can go on Disability as I'm 58% disabled but I prefer to work till I'm 70,I'm appaled at this lazy new generation where a conversation these days is 2 people texting each other ,give me give me attitude,things have gone to hell

If you paid it, your advisors really don't care that much about helping you. There are more ways to legally avoid the mandate, than there are posts in this thread.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

We need to get socialized medicine. When a doctor treats a patient and they get fixed quickly in socialized medicine, they get a bonus.

Coming from the land of socialized medicine, the first thing a lot of people do when they earn enough... is to buy health insurance and use a private health provider. Why? Because it's nice to see a doctor when you need one, not in 3 years time.

Socialized medicine is not the panacea you seem to think it is. It also becomes an election tool geared towards good looking numbers, not quality of service.

I talk to people from areas that have socialized medicine all the time. They say that it is easy to get to the doctors. I don't know why you are having problems with this, they think it is great. I hear that if they go to travel in the USA they have to buy a policy in case something happens. That seems to be the truth.

I also know a friend of my daughter who lives here and is married to someone in France. Her French health insurance covers most things here in the USA but she has to go back to France for at least a week every year. She goes there a lot more than that though. She is American and he is French.

I can't comprehend what you are talking about, even a couple of doctors I know like the socialized medicine in these other countries better, it is less stressful for them. I have talked about socialized medicines to three doctors I know here in America and they said it would be great to have that system here, they say it would be nice not having so much stress worried about billing and insurance companies. Three out of three I know and talked to said they would prefer socialized medicine.

So me believing you is pretty hard when I have talked to many other people and they thought it was great. Now, remember, when you say they buy a policy, that policy is a supplementary policy. It covers excess of what socialized medicine does not cover. That would make it reasonable to get a policy. Here with deductibles and copays the insurance policy for a decent one runs thirteen grand a year for one person and almost eighteen grand a year for a family. My wife just got the info on that from her employer. She worked for the county for many years and is now retired, but they still send that info out.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

it will NOT be affordable without this mandate

Why are people ok with mandatory car insurance but not health insurance?

Why aren't people taking care of themselves?

the answer... Idiocracy

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I think the biggest issue with socialized medicine is that the government runs it.
Why should the government have their hands in my health care - at all?
The federal government needs to stay out of my everyday life.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

My body, my choice.

So we should leave you to die in the streets if you make the choice to not be insured but then get sick?

Lots of people make bad choices, society is built on the idea that people can see wisdom in their bad choices and later change them though. With health you can't really do that.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

I think the biggest issue with socialized medicine is that the government runs it.
Why should the government have their hands in my health care - at all?
The federal government needs to stay out of my everyday life.

if you don't like the US government then you have the choice to move.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join