It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bus to the Women's March

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Im not liking this move at all.

Regardless of who surrounded him and their gender, this move cannot be related to balancing the budget, as the layout is miniscule and there is much larger and lower hanging fruit. If the argument could be made "we can't afford it", at least that would be a place to begin chipping away at logic.

This takes any positive sentiment I gained from the TPP deal and sets it back to zero.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Why should it be the American tax payers' responsibility?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Thanks to those that have explained this Mexico City law.
Makes perfect sense that Trump would bring back the law on this.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Honestly, what it's beginning to sound like is "If special interest group XYZ isn't cut their recurring fat check from the tax payers, then special interest group XYZ is clearly hated by Trump." That's essentially extortion and it's BS... We're not paying for your decisions, it doesn't mean we hate you, doesn't mean we're leaving you behind, it simply means the Gravy Train has left the station and y'all need to take a little personal responsibility and provide for your own wants and needs. Period.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
Byrd,

Over the course of reading many of your posts, and in spite of ultimately disagreeing with so many of your positions, I've ended up developing a deep respect for you . . .

So . . . Please . . . Damn it Byrd . . . tell me you didn't wear one of the pink genital hats . . .

Well, either way I suppose, glad you made it through all that nonsense and you're well on your way home.

I wore the hat (yes, a pink pussyhat) that my daughter made for me.

As you know, we live in Texas - but what you might not know is that when the Affordable Care Act became law, Texas was one of the states that refused to take federal money grants for low income people. And you might not know that a lot of companies give workers only 25-39 hours of work so they don't have to pay for insurance for these workers.

My daughter has pre-existing conditions... clinical depression (inherited. Her dad also has it), fibromyalgia, arthritis, enodmetriosis (so bad that she had to have a total hysterectomy at age 20, forever ending her dreams of having a baby). We've looked for health care insurance for her but the cheapest we can find that covers her preexisting conditions is $1,200 per month. That's actually more than her monthly salary and more than my husband and I can cover for her each month. I did pay for her flu shot and help her by buying Advil/etc.

If Texas had taken Federal grants, we could have found her a zero cost plan (I found one ... in California...)

How bad is the pain? Last weekend she called the Suicide Prevention Line (and this is not the first time, I should add.)

This weekend, I wore the hat that she made me to the march in Washington, in honor of her. I took the second hat she made and loaned it to a fellow marcher. I've brought it back to give to her to tell her "Mom loves you. Your hats were warm and helped make a statement and it made a difference to those of us who wore your hats."

Most of the hats were handmade; many (if not most) were made by people who couldn't come (finances, disability, etc.)

I do look rather silly in the hat, but I love it anyway.

edit on 23-1-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of baby boomers were there.

Baby Boomers ROCK

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: windword
Regardless of who surrounded him and their gender, this move cannot be related to balancing the budget, as the layout is miniscule and there is much larger and lower hanging fruit. If the argument could be made "we can't afford it", at least that would be a place to begin chipping away at logic.

A lot of the other things they want to chip off are in the same category -- defunding arts programs (of course, they've been after PBS for years) including the "Arts in Education Program" by the Department of Education that awards grants for arts teacher training. The amount they save is $27,000,000.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Baby Boomers ROCK

Actually, not as many as you might think went to DC. It was mostly 20-40 somethings. Part of this may be because we're on Social Security and pensions and part may be (as with my husband) health problems.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Thanks to those that have explained this Mexico City law.
Makes perfect sense that Trump would bring back the law on this.

I'm certainly not surprised.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Spiramirabilis
What he's done is a benefit to everyone below the top 2%.

I would disagree that it's a benefit to everyone below the top 2%.

Trump also suspended a reduction in the premium rate offered by the Federal Housing Administration to home buyers. The reduction, relatively small, would have saved home buyers about $500 a year. In effect, this is a tax increase on the middle class.
(from here, but any other place that covered his first executive orders)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Public health interests, plain and simple.

The abortion angle..im not fond of. While im "pro choice" that doesn't mean I like it. But the other services that PP provides are a benefit for public health in general.

Im biased. I have a great aunt who was a regional director in PP. I've spent some time around the clinics in my younger days, and am pretty aware of the types of services that are provided. Even in my small community, I can attest to the positive impact it had on public health in the 80's.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

A lot of the other things they want to chip off are in the same category -- defunding arts programs (of course, they've been after PBS for years) including the "Arts in Education Program" by the Department of Education that awards grants for arts teacher training. The amount they save is $27,000,000.

YES.

THAT REALLY gets my hackles up.
It didn't come up at the first press briefing. That I know of.

But it is one of my main concerns.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Baby Boomers ROCK

*curtsy*

Thank you.
We're the moms. Of the thing...

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I was going to ask if you wore one of those things.

I hope you had fun. I also hope they defund it all.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

YES.

THAT REALLY gets my hackles up.
It didn't come up at the first press briefing. That I know of.

But it is one of my main concerns.

Paying for 'art education' through my taxes raises my hackles. So it evens out.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Speaking of public health --- Kansas thinks it's better to give bottled water for free to people in "Pretty Prairie, Kansas" (population 700) instead of addressing how the WATER IS POISONOUS.

They prefer providing bottled water, rather than cleaning up the water that is already there. Because the 'residents are fine with it!'

THIS ^^ is what we are dealing with.

@ErinBrokovitch WE NEED YOU NOW

edit on 1/23/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Paying for 'art education' through my taxes raises my hackles. So it evens out.

No it really doesn't, when it comes to truth. See - because of where you grew up (central Kansas), you have never had exposure to the actual informed news. Your options for input have been limited.

I watched Senator Moran's talks and interviews and reviewed his votes record. Did the same for Roberts, and ALSO for Pompeo.

Moran is TOTALLY your guy! As say Limbaugh and Beck and FOX and Jones!!

I have sent him (Moran) TWO emails now, insisting that he pay attention to the people in the KC Metro. That he not allow Betsy DeVos to become in charge of schools. That he care about whether the water is POISONOUS more than he cares about giving 'free bottled water' to the people in Pretty Prairie. He doesn't care about the actual water. They're getting FREE BOTTLED WATER.

THIS

IS

FLINT, MICHIGAN

crap.

I will not let him off the hook. Him OR Roberts. And they are BOTH so far to the right that they are falling off the face of reality.

So obviously it pisses you off that people want for children and adults to be able to learn about THE HUMANITIES. You hate it that we want to give kids and youths and interested adults ACTUAL EDUCATION ..... removing art from programs is the same as cutting out people's tongues.

Understand?

Now - the reason you feel that it is abhorrent and gets your hackles up: because you never received any education in the Arts and Humanities.

They've been there all along. Your leaders and keepers didn't want to share them with you.
And THAT is a fact.

IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT that you were misled --- misguided by the speakers allowed into your hearing and viewing range. Distracted by the ads and glitz and glamour and reality-tv excitement of a thing that rivals the themes and scenes and scripts of the movies in The Hunger Games.

It is, however, --- because you KNOW you were misled ----- ON YOU NOW to correct that. Listen to the other side. Step outside. UNTIL YOU DO THAT, you will remain just a you are. Choose. That is your deficit right now.: it's why you are so incompetent when discussing the real issues.

FIX THAT, and then we'll talk.

in any case,
thanks for throwing your hat in the ring. Excellent worm. I bit, and got away with the bait!

great timing
#realreality

edit on 1/23/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
People always argue that such and such a cut is so small in the grand scheme of things.

I'm always reminded of the words of a very successful businessman I once knew, "Take care of the nickles, and the dollars will take care of themselves."

People, our country is in dire straits financially. There are going to be cuts. Deal with it for now. This is serious and there have to be cuts, elimination of waste and abuse, and duplicity in government.

PP is a private organization. If it is so important to you, then raise private funds to keep your PP going.

As far as giving Americans' taxpayer money to Mexico for abortion services....well, that just make perfect sense to eliminate that. Most Americans didn't even know their taxes were going for that.

As far as defunding the NEA, this is a government agency (meaning YOU and I pay for it) that gives grant money to individuals and organizations for various and sundry things. Lots of waste in this agency. (Probably lots of cronyism here, too....actors, directors, producers, artists...you know what I mean??) Rife for abuse!!

Why should artists, actors, and other such people get government subsidies rather than others in other fields.

Actually, the funding for NEA is going to be reviewed in Congress, and appropriate cuts decided then.
edit on 23-1-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Well... I was never raised in central Kansas so that's your first mistake of many. I grew up in many parts of the USA, including New York.

But why do you think growing up in central Kansas is such a disadvantage? Second mistake.

Thinking I'm pissed off, third mistake. Considering the 'humanities' as a good thing to pay money for, fourth.

You don't get an education in Art. You get people telling you what is Art and what isn't. But funny thing, the beauty of art is that people know what they like. They don't need to be told what is good and what is bad.

Because we are individuals. And *THAT* my dear is the truth. Your 'facts' do not apply.

But thanks for putting forth an effort.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

For whatever it's worth, I'd like to commend you for getting off of your ass and getting involved in a cause you feel passionately about. It's easy for people to sit at home, have an opinion and paste it all over the internet...pretending that it makes a difference. But what you did, and others, was a demonstration of freedoms that most people rarely take advantage of.

I think that we can all respect that, regardless of whether or not we agree with the cause you were supporting.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join