It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bus to the Women's March

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: UKTruth

Deal with it.

LOL!! Quite.
Uhhh...we are.
We did. FIVE MILLION of us went physically marching. TODAY is when we start flooding the phone lines and email boxes.

We will continue to deal with it in the manner most befitting our causes. Peace, civil rights, liberties, social support for ALL.

You call all the nonsense we've seen 'dealing with it'?. Wow, I'd hate to see an example of you guys being upset!

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Trump has just cut funding for abortions for American citizens travelling to Mexico...
Didn't even know tax payers were funding overseas abortion jaunts.

Maybe that's not what has happened?
Anyone know more about this?
edit on 23/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: dawnstar

Defunding Planned Parenthood makes us look more like a Wahabbi government than a Western government.

Something just stinks about a bunch of men getting together and deciding what is best for women (or vice versa). The whole reason diversity makes you stronger is because it keeps you from making mistakes like that.

Well, when we've applied that logic to laws prohibiting drug use, prostitution, suicide, the draft, polygamy, seatbelts, mandatory education requirements, "danger to themself" laws, etc we can talk. Until that time arrives, however, defunding Planned Parenthood is a step I fully support and which is long past due.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Trump has just cut funding for abortions for American citizens travelling to Mexico...

He signed an executive order banning federal funds or foreign aid going to international groups that provide or promote abortions.

It's called the Mexico City policy.

I didn't know there was a sea between Mexico and the US.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

But there is the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

And part of the Rio Grande too.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

He signed an executive order banning federal funds or foreign aid going to international groups that provide or promote abortions.

It's called the Mexico City policy.

Are US citizens using the Mexico City Policy?
Do they have softer abortion law... i.e. abortions later in the pregnancy?

You know what I meant by overseas, but sure change it to abroad.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Hehe, what river are you discussing, we don't need no river.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Are US citizens using the Mexico City Policy? Do they have softer abortion law... i.e. abortions later in the pregnancy?

I believe it's called the Mexico City policy because the plan was originally announced at a UN conference in Mexico City.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

For Planned Parenthood, to me, its mostly about public health. Its a worthwhile endeavor that seems to operate fairly cheaply by using PP as a government proxy.

The other stuff you mention....don't get me started. But i agree with you on all points.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Maybe that's not what has happened?
Anyone know more about this?

Got a link?

Back in the day, Mexico was about the only place you could go for a safe abortion. Roe v Wade changed this (and saved lives).

Now...think about "overseas abortion jaunts"

If this is a grant, you would have to go into an office, apply for a grant, bring all the proofs that you are indeed a resident and a citien, wait until the paperwork moves through the office, wait until it's approved (re-apply if it's not approved), have this approval sent to a money manager who then cuts a check, has the bookkeeper(s) verify it, send it back, cash the money, and THEN ... go on a jaunt.

Have you seen the way the government moves? The kid could be six years old before you got the funds for an "overseas abortion jaunt."

You just can't walk into any government or even church-based aid or social aid office and say "I need money" and have it handed to you within minutes.

I think your source is either misunderstanding something or has completely made things up.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: diggindirt

most of that funding is for services they give to medicaid and those qualified for title x programs...
gee, why don't we just drop those programs and insist on the healthcare providers to provide those services to the poor for free...
that is basically what you are saying. if you don't believe that the for profit hospitals and doctors would go for this, how can you believe planned parenthood would. if it is lost, it would be because too many of their patients are too poor to pay for the services they receive and planned parenthood doesn't want to send them away and they go broke trying to provide free healthcare to too many people.

It is a privately owned, non-profit organization which is supposed to be supported by donations. If patrons don't support their programs, yes, the program will wither and die and local health departments will have to bear the load. If patrons want the programs to continue, they will pony up more donations to support them. That's the way a privately-owned non-profit works in the real world. IF those celebrities who were speaking so emotionally about it really believe there is a threat, it's time for them to pony up some dollars to make sure that Planned Parenthood has funding, not to tell me that part of my tax dollars should go to a private organization that provides the same services as my local health department. With the notable exception of abortion the HD provides exactly the same services as PP. I pay a ton of tax for the local HD so why should my federal taxes have to pay for the same services?

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
And as you can see, I arrived safe and sound back in Dallas. I used Waze (great app); hubby watched my progress as I made the long drive (fellow Southerners, I did make the obligatory stop at Buc-ees to nab a big 10 layer burrito, diet coke, and some of their goodies to take back to my dear husband.)

So... I'll tell you a bit more about the trip now and then answer a few questions that people have asked or address some points that they may have raised.

Why Did I Feel Compelled To Go (also applies to my husband, who medically and physically could not make the trip)
If you don't mind a lttle socio-political explanation here, "Women's Rights" is one of those large blanket terms like "Civil Rights" that includes a number of specific sub-issues. Think of it in terms of a book where "Womens' Rights"/Civil Rights is a title for a book and individual issues (Freedom of choice, Ending domestic violence, etc.)

Some of the rights we are advocating for under this broa term of "women's rights" include things that are standard in Europe and many other countries - such as leave time for both parents when a baby is born, affordable child care (which makes it possible for poor families to make a living wage), voting rights (American citizens are still being turned away at the polls... I was almost one of them after Governor Goodhair (Ted Cruz) put in the voter registration law and my drivers' license (first name, maiden name, married name) didn't match my voter registration (first name, middle name, married name.) Thanks to a court ruling I was able to go to workers there (set up for this) and get my identity verified and my documents changed so that I could (after an hour or so) go back and vote.)

Anyway, you can see the full list of what we currently place under this blanket at the women's march site or at other women's sites.

So, we all went because we were in agreement that in general the issues known as "women's rights" represented things that are not being addressed by the national government or had programs that were being defunded or are under threat of being defunded. And rather than having them defunded or sent back to states (like Texas) where the government could conveniently ignore them (see article Maternal mortality DOUBLES in Texas from 2010 to 2014 -- we have the highest rate of deaths of mothers during childbirth in the United States.) we want the Federal government stepping in and making sure that all states have the same programs and that states like Texas can't pull a "oops... we're going to fund a new stadium for the Cowboys instead of funding this health clinic" deal on us again.

We all agreed on the general principles, but everyone had one or two issues that touched them individually and that they had made signs about or were "carrying" with them. I'll tell you more about the bus and the individuals after I go get some tea.
edit on 23-1-2017 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
What a waste of time and energy this was. I don't know what good they thought they were going to do? They accomplished nothing and in a week this will all be totally forgotten. I guess it was just a cathartic venting of frustration. Time to move on and start fixing the country.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Donald Trump Signs Anti-Abortion Executive Order Surrounded By Men

Trump reinstated the Mexico City policy, also known as the global gag rule, which was first put in place by President Ronald Reagan in 1984. It prohibits giving U.S. funding to international nongovernmental organizations that offer or advise on a wide range of family planning and reproductive health options if they include abortion ― even if U.S. dollars are not specifically used for abortion-related services. 

Trump’s executive order has severe implications and could be deadly for women and girls in developing countries and conflict zones, who often resort to dangerous methods of ending their pregnancies when they lack access to safe abortion. The World Health Organization estimates that more than 21 million women a year have unsafe abortions in developing countries, accounting for about 13 percent of all maternal deaths. 

World Health Org Policy Brief

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Byrd

Donald Trump Signs Anti-Abortion Executive Order Surrounded By Men

Ah yes. That one. In 1968, when I was in college, a friend who got pregnant (and would have been disowned by her family - the man also abandoned her when she got pregnant) had to go to Juarez, Mexico for an abortion. Those who could fly went to Mexico City, which was safer and had larger clinics. For the poor, here in Texas, Juarez was the only option.

We raised gas money for her in secret (contributing out of the allowances our parents sent us and a bit from paychecks) and she lied about going to visit a friend. One of the soldiers we knew drove her to Mexico for the abortion (an 8 hour trip) and back.

After Reagan signed that order, I knew another woman (deserted by her husband, ill with diabetes, and 8 weeks pregnant with a fourth child) who went to California for an abortion. It was not cheap and it wasn't easy to find.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

...adding that when we were young, a teacher's salary was pretty close to the poverty line for a family of three. Planned Parenthood supplied me with free birth control pills and regular checkups. I volunteered at the Austin Planned Parenthood in 1973.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Thank god.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

God has nothing to do with this.

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

It is a phrase meant to show how thankful I am for not funding international murder. Don't bother refuting with "oh, but the military kills people too".

posted on Jan, 23 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ksiezyc

Women will die because of this decree.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join