It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Hows this crap a viable exit strategy???

No deal may well be better than a bad deal, but its still no deal at all.

The way we implement this Brexit procedure will have repercussions for decades if not centuries to come!

Lets get it done correctly or not at all would be my thinking on the matter.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I am assuming the no deal thing refers to just reverting to WTO rules and trading independently.
It is a good threat in my opinion, EU businesses don't want that either, but being confident in negotiations saying we won't accept a crap deal is definitely the way to start the haggling.
It helps to neuter threats from the EU side before they start.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I just cannot fathom how we will manage to exit the EU without significant financial and social repercussions across the nation.

It's not like the rest of the EU nations are going to let us off scot free.

End of the day if indeed this needs to be done, it needs to be implemented very carefully, and far as i can see we still don't really have a workable solution to the problems we face or are associated with our departure from the union.

It may help to neuter some threats but chances are it will also provoke others.
edit on 18-1-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Hows this crap a viable exit strategy???
No deal may well be better than a bad deal, but its still no deal at all.

Means we haven't moved back wards from the starting block? Still in the race?

No gain means no pain..... Status Quo.

The way we implement this Brexit procedure will have repercussions for decades if not centuries to come

Of course, and the majority believe for the BETTER.

Lets get it done correctly or not at all would be my thinking on the matter.

It is being done ..... no going back

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It means what it says. No deal means she won't agree to a whole lot of rubbish on order to get tarriff free trade.

Simple.

If the EU wants to play funny buggers we can walk away and trade on WTO terms until someone more sensible gets the helm of the EU.

Getting trade at the expense of our legal freedoms, the right to control entry to our country and billions per year is no deal at all.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Oh i know it's happening, i know there is pretty much no going back, just wondering as to how we will proceed forward to be honest.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Well hopefully it all works out if not for our current generation then for future generations to come because lets face it, it will be our children and our children's children that face the real repercussion of her actions.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

What can the EU do? Tariffs?
Britain will reciprocate, and as we buy more stuff off them they won't want that for sure.
Most countries don't have a trade deal with the EU yet they still trade.

The price of some goods may go up slightly, but the drama is ridiculous, notice we buy fruits and the like from outside of the EU, you know, other countries we don't have trade deals with.
Children will not starve and businesses will still trade.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Well just look at the Apple store where UK prices have increased by around 25%, and that's digital trade associated with our departure from the EU!

All im saying is if that's anything to go by then you must understand peoples ambivalence surrounding the Brexit decision.

I hope its the correct decision because like i said its our children that will ultimately pay the Pipper.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Well hopefully it all works out if not for our current generation then for future generations to come because lets face it, it will be our children and our children's children that face the real repercussion of her actions.

See, I feel the future is finally brighter now we are getting out. I think there will be more and better opportunities for future generations as a result of this.

The EU is a suffocating beaurocracy.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Brighter, hopefully or whats the point.

Will it be cheaper through, or at least cost of items be on par with the rest of our European cousins?

That's the real question.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I can only speak for myself but I'm willing to face transitional hardships for an independent UK.
I knew that full well when I voted leave.

Could've picked a better example than the Apple store though fella, I couldn't give a # if consumer goods or apps cost more. That's a proper first world problem.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   

That's just what sprung to mind, im sure there are far better examples than the Apple store, reason a mentioned it is 25% increase in cost is rather exuberant.

I just hope the politicians get there arse in gear and address the issue in the appropriate manner.

And i dont exactly place much stock in our beloved political puppets to be honest.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Brighter, hopefully or whats the point.

Will it be cheaper through, or at least cost of items be on par with the rest of our European cousins?

That's the real question.

While the pound is low then imported things will cost more.

Exports will be cheaper though, so more jobs and overtime, better pay without an infinite pool of eu labour.

In time, the pound will climb and imports will get cheaper.

One thing's for sure though, this country has gone down the toilet over the last 20 years of eu membership so the odds are that being out will be a change for the better.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

But what do we really export these days?

Pharmaceuticals, engines, pumps and nuclear reactor parts may be high technological exports but that just not going to cut the mustard monotonically speaking.

We don't really have any heavy industry left thanx to previews governments.

"One thing's for sure though, this country has gone down the toilet over the last 20 years"

On that subject we can agree but its our own fault just as much as Europe's.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Agreed, and regarding the infinite pot of EU labour, I'm glad that the ridiculous cries of bigotry and racism have stopped now people realise the difference between no immigration and controlled immigration.

It was so tiring during the referendum, and as pathetic as saying we're racist against say the US because unskilled Americans can't just rock up here and work without a visa.

I am optimistic that Britain will come out of this strong if May negotiates hard.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

But what do we really export these days?

We don't really have any heavy industry left thanx to previews governments.

Sorry mate don't know where you live but we export loads of stuff around the world. Masses of cars and bikes, military quipment, one of the 'big three' in aero/industrial engines (Rolls) and loads of machines, etc. All this doom and gloom about Britain not being an exporter anymore usually comes from folk in the home counties or Scots of course
(not accusing you of being a Scot btw) because they aren't seeing what's going on the heart of the country

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I am a Scottish, and proud to be so, just as im sure my English cousins are proud of there nationality, so accuse away.

Lets just say we hardly export that same amount of goods or trade that we did in days gone by, where we lead the field in areas such as steel production and ship building.

The heart of the country? Do you mean London because if so god help the rest of the United Kingdom. Fact is the UK is a collection of nations, each with there own vibrant beating heart, thats kind of what gives us strength of a sorts.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

You guys export a lot of whisky and I can't see a small percentage tariff deterring foreign buyers who appreciate a fine malt.
With the fall in Sterling I'd say if anything that will have evened out the price for purchasers.

posted on Jan, 18 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

A whole ton of stuff.
Financial services is a huge one.

More material things range from luxury cars, jet engines and arms down to micro controllers and cricket balls and high end clothing.

The point is we are now able to deal direct with places like the USA.
Ever notice how only the very richest of yanks have British cars? That's because of tarriffs. Without those, middle class Americans can own jags and landrovers too. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Too right

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join