It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

The above links to a video and transcript of today's speech.

Notable points are a confirmation that the UK will leave the single market, customs union and European Court of justice.

The final package will be voted on in both Houses.

One thing that struck me was her statement about repealing the European Communities act.

This has been touted as an alternative to enacting article 50 in the past and made me wonder if it's a plan to sidestep some sort of road blocking by pro eu freaks like Tim Farron...

She also pointed out that she regards no deal as better than a bad deal which opens the door to trading on a WTO tarriffs basis.
edit on 24pTue, 17 Jan 2017 07:52:24 -060020172017-01-17T07:52:24-06:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: Phone issues

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Think the globalists are pissed about this or what?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Haha. I do. Though strangely, this opens up the world to the UK for the first time in almost 50 years so if anything, it may be the beginning of a new globalist phase based on either the Commonwealth of nations or, more likely, one centred on US, UK, CAN, NZ and OZ.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

The Scotland and N.Ireland issue is a potential problem though, I'm more concerned about how she's going to deal with that.
Could get messy.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It definitely will get messy.

Though I would still doubt whether there are a majority in either country who would vote out of the uk and into the eu if it came to it.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: FamCore

Haha. I do. Though strangely, this opens up the world to the UK for the first time in almost 50 years so if anything, it may be the beginning of a new globalist phase based on either the Commonwealth of nations or, more likely, one centred on US, UK, CAN, NZ and OZ.

Plenty if options given time, a commonwealth trade deal or an English speaking one could work well. Canada and Australia have vast resources on sale now. Surely somewhere a deal can be made so that it's profitable to produce goods.

China is cheap but it's steel leaves a lot to be desired for instance.

Leaving the EU on a whole could be great for Britain, though admittedly we'll have a lot of work to do on everything from economics to human rights and law... Potential and plenty of it, we could of course fall flat on our face, I say we need the conservatives out. That will help immensely.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

The Scotland and N.Ireland issue is a potential problem though, I'm more concerned about how she's going to deal with that.
Could get messy.

London finance and the soft fruit sector in south east England will get deals...Everyone alse can go # themselves.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Could get messy.

London finance and the soft fruit sector in south east England will get deals...Everyone alse can go # themselves.

Possibly.
Though outside EU rules, the next gen of warships might be built on the Clyde.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Could get messy.

Then hold a secound referedum and piss off and hide under mad merkals skirts

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Could get messy.

Possibly.
Though outside EU rules, the next gen of warships might be built on the Clyde.

Well that'll be the shareholders in BAE Systems and 500 workers sorted then...What about the other 5.3 million.?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Could get messy.

Suits me. When you have lost your human rights and every working right your forefathers fought for we'll be wishing you all the best. Enjoy what's coming to you. You deserve it.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Globalists will be delighted about this, opens the UK up to be picked over by the billionaires and mega corporations. They'll be allowed to run rampage by their Tory friends.

Absolute disaster for the country.

But hey, it'll stop those immigrants right? Except... most of our immigrants come from India, and, the Indian trade deals include fast track Visa systems so INdian immigrants can get into the UK more easily.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Could get messy.

Suits me. When you have lost your human rights and every working right your forefathers fought for we'll be wishing you all the best. Enjoy what's coming to you. You deserve it.

Seeing as most our right where gained before the EU while mainland europe where playing fasicism and genocide I prefer not to rely on Germany as the source of our human rights

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Could get messy.

Seeing as most our right where gained before the EU while mainland europe where playing fasicism and genocide I prefer not to rely on Germany as the source of our human rights

Eh..?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Lost my post again, happened a few times today... Anyways.

The declaration of human rights came about 1948. Most of our workers rights such as minimum wage came from predominantly labour governments.

link

This blog touches on cases of the government being taken to a human rights court within the EU.

Fact is we have better more protected rights due to the EU, something I strongly feel about and hope we can set a new better standard with our coming divorce... One can hope.

Remember that lass who took the government to court because she had to work full-time at Poundland just to claim her job seekers allowance.

Basically slavery, she won. If it wasn't for the EU cases like that would never see the light of day.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Listening to the Lib Dems today, you would have thought we were going to tow the British Isles out of Europe and eat all the E.U Nationals that have decided to settle in the U.K.

The majority of Scots and Northern Irish didn't vote to leave, so we can no doubt expect referendums on their independence, and rightly so. If they chose to leave, so be it, if they chose to remain, get on board and start making the most of the opportunities that will come our way.

The E.U is a dying entity and if Framce does vote in le Pen, they will be following us out. Potentially Germany could follow suit, as well as The Netherlands, but that's for their people to decide.

The uncertainty is over now though and the pound is rallying.

edit on 17/1/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Could get messy.

I think like many Scots, you underestimate us Brits. We won't lie down and allow any of that to happen. Sure they can try, but we are many, they are few.

We've told the E.U we do not like the direction they were heading, we will certainly tell any U.K Government where they can get off if they try anything like what you are suggesting.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Could get messy.

For Scotland to want in on the EU they need to remember that "when" the bloc collapses they will need to front the bill, when the UK finally pulls the trigger I expect there to be a flood of other countries following.

France and Germany will have new Governments and I believe Sweden would leave now if given the chance, if Scotland want a piece of that pie hey go ahead we can all grab some popcorn..

RA

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Fantastic speech from Mrs May. She has pretty much echoed what UKIP have been saying for years now, glad she starting to get it.

The only thing she failed to mention was getting back control of our fishing waters, though I'm sure we will get that anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

I personally think the Scots would be mad to leave the UK for the EU, but it's all just guessing on both sides if the decision is the right one.

I support the good people of Scotland to have another referendum because they voted remain last year.
They have to in my opinion, if only to stop the whining.

I'm optimistic about the future leaving the EU, again though just opinion formed from the same sources as everyone else. I read both sides of the arguments, and believe Britain will eventually come out strong, albeit after transitional challenges of course.

And just to add, I'm loving May's hardnose bargaining and while I've never voted Tory, I think she's the best for these negotiations.
The job demands a strong will and I think she's got it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join