It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to name son-in-law Jared Kushner as special adviser

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Bump this from UKTruth's post:
Needs to be read a few times by a few people.

But the Act’s sponsor, Rep. Neal Smith (D-Iowa), later denied that argument in an interview with the Des Moines Register. Smith claimed that his goal was to crack down on nepotism at “smaller post offices” and Congress, because when he arrived on Capitol hill in the early ’60s, “there were 50 members who had their wives on the payrolls,” as he told the newspaper. ”Some were doing a good job, but…two-thirds of them didn’t do any work at all,” he said. “‘We can’t prohibit someone from getting a job just because they have a certain relative, but you need to make sure it’s not going too far.” Twenty years later, in 1987, an investigation published by the news agency United Press International reported that at least 73 relatives of lawmakers had been on the congressional payroll since June 1986 because members of Congress were “skirting” the 1967 anti-nepotism statute by getting them jobs at other House and Senate offices.

House and Senate offices... 30 years ago... this proves nothing.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I was awed by his height compared to a lot of other pop icons bumping into one another on a TV news blurb

I was surprised to find out he is only 6'3"...he looked 6 inches taller than Donald Trump and others on the MSM TV report... so I imagined him to be about 6' 9" (or basket-ball material)

I getting a new, revised impression about all the Trump family & in-laws

this also serves as a bump to access the thread in the future
edit on th31148408596710062017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Bump this from UKTruth's post:
Needs to be read a few times by a few people.

I guess the problem is that members of congress generally have to leave their home state and take up residence in the Capitol city. They wanted to have their wives near them, for obvious reasons. But, that meant uprooting their wives from the jobs they might have had back in the home state, and moving them to the City where they had no job. To get back some of that "dual income" stream, these members of Congress found jobs for their wives, to keep them busy, and bringing in the dough. Not a good thing to have restless wives at home twiddling their thumbs, while you're at work. That's how wives find lovers.

So, it all makes sense to give your wife a job.

But, your son-in-law? That's another thing altogether.

edit on 10-1-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigTrumpFan
a reply to: Blarneystoner

Using cheap foreign labor to make American goods to resell back in America at original prices is not trade. Trade involves an exchange of two goods. One good does not a trade make.

If Ford makes a factory in Mexico to make cars to sell in Mexico, no prob. If Ford makes a factory in Mexico to use cheap Mexican labor to sell back to America at original prices, BIG BORDER TAX.

Trade is about comparative advantage. If country A has apples but no oranges, country B has oranges but no apples, country A and country B trade apples and oranges. No prob. Using foreign cheap labor to build American goods to sell in America at original prices to rip off Americans, that is not trade, BIG BORDER TAX.

hehe... I suppose if you're going to use "little boy logic" what you just said makes perfect sense. But this is the real world my friend... Are you suggesting that we leave the WTO? Imposing tariffs on member states would prompt the WTO to impose sanctions and we would lose our our ability to export to member nations. It's not as simple as Trump would have you believe...

but keep repeating "BIG BORDER TAX" if it makes you feel better.
edit on 10-1-2017 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Trade is about comparative advantage. If country A has apples but no oranges, country B has oranges but no apples, country A and country B trade apples and oranges. No prob. Using foreign cheap labor to build American goods to sell in America at original prices to rip off Americans, that is not trade, BIG BORDER TAX.

But that's what the situation is already.

Mexico has the best labor. And America has the best consumer. So, there's trade.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

But that's what the situation is already.

Mexico has the best labor. And America has the best consumer. So, there's trade.

Wrong. Fair trade involves a single currency. America and Mexico have different currencies. Free trade is impossible. Also, Mexico does not have better labor than America. Cheaper, yes, but quality wise worse.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

That is not correct. The hotel can continue to operate without him divesting it. He would need to ensure no foreign investment in it, but foreign investment does not include a foreign state official booking a hotel room.

I don't think that is correct, and that foreign dignitaries booking rooms and events, that DJT will benefit from financially is considered an "emolument".

But, even if that's not true, DJT is still in with foreign investments, as I'm pretty sure his DC hotel is financed by 1/2 a billion dollars from China.

I predict Trump will get away with almost everything he's asking for, only to have it taint his presidency and gum up the works toward any progress he hopes to make. Scandal will bring his administration down and result in his impeachment.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: UKTruth

That is not correct. The hotel can continue to operate without him divesting it. He would need to ensure no foreign investment in it, but foreign investment does not include a foreign state official booking a hotel room.

I don't think that is correct, and that foreign dignitaries booking rooms and events, that DJT will benefit from financially is considered an "emolument".

But, even if that's not true, DJT is still in with foreign investments, as I'm pretty sure his DC hotel is financed by 1/2 a billion dollars from China.

I predict Trump will get away with almost everything he's asking for, only to have it taint his presidency and gum up the works toward any progress he hopes to make. Scandal will bring his administration down and result in his impeachment.

There was a claim by Democrats that the GSA had made a ruling on it, but they have not done so.
The potential issue relates to the lease, not the emolument section of the Federal Conflict of interest laws as far as I am aware.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Even if Donald Trump owes billions of dollars to Russia and China, he can go to Paul Ryan and have Congress give hem billions of dollars to cancel that. Congress has lots of money and Congress makes sure no foreign state uses debt to blackmail the head of state of the USA.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Wrong. Fair trade involves a single currency. America and Mexico have different currencies. Free trade is impossible. Also, Mexico does not have better labor than America. Cheaper, yes, but quality wise worse.

There is only one true currency in the world. It's called OIL.

All the fiat currencies are just fictions invented by nations to avoid dealing directly in barrels of oil.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Only the US can print its own money. Let the Mexicans do cheap labor. Americans have infinite amounts of money to buy American brand products made in Mexico. Not a good idea. Mexican labor is low quality and they made crappy products. I'd rather buy American made products.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I'd rather buy American made products.

We all prefer Made In America, if we could get them at Mexican Prices.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

An American car built in Mexico should cost 3000 dollars in America. Mexican labor is only 10% the cost of American labor.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We don't need made in Mexico. Back in the 1970s and 1980s when America was at its peak, everything was made in America.

posted on Jan, 10 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

An American car built in Mexico should cost 3000 dollars in America. Mexican labor is only 10% the cost of American labor.

But the extra profits go to the American Corporate Executives and to the American Stock Holders. So, Americans get rich.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

But the extra profits go to the American Corporate Executives and to the American Stock Holders. So, Americans get rich.

Wrong. Only CEOs get rich. American workers get fired. CEOs don't spend money in America. They put it in Swiss bank.

If CEOs don't build in America, America goes bankrupt and they will be executed for treason.
edit on 11-1-2017 by BigTrumpFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

It proves there is precedence in several cases where the letter of the law was ignored.

So why crack down now?

Repeal the Electoral College much?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Here's a ATS thread I just made in regards to "Who Trump can or can't hire".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

We don't need made in Mexico. Back in the 1970s and 1980s when America was at its peak, everything was made in America.

I think you may want to go check your sources again.

The US has been importing more than it has been exporting since the 91970's And if you look at those figures, highest imports were during the Nixon-Reagan era, rise to a peak under GHW Bush, take a big rush upward during Bush The Second, and backed off that peak during the Obama administration.

So... no, "Made in America" wasn't a thing back then... and even earlier, Americans were hungry for cheap foreign goods from Japan and Chinal

Nowadays, the number one import is electronics (cell phones, computers, tablets, smart gadgets, components for smart gadgets which are made -- guess where -- NOT in America.

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I haven't seen much discussion of what son-in-law Kushner will be doing as advisor. Did you know Trump has Jared slated to bring about peace in the Middle East? You know, because running the New York Observer and buying real estate is the best pedigree to accomplish this minor goal. [/sarc]
My expectations are extremely low, but best wishes for his success.

President-elect Donald Trump has confirmed that Jared Kushner will be tapped to serve the administration as special envoy to the Middle East, adding that he believes his son-in-law will succeed in brokering a deal between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

Isreal National News

Here is a bit more from a Reuters article, which also confirms Kushner will not accept a salary to skirt the anti-nepotism law.

U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, will become a senior White House adviser working on trade and the Middle East, transition officials said on Monday, in a rare case of a close presidential family member taking a major job.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join