It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billboards going up to thank Hollywood for Bush's re-election

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBigD
American Mad Man Should Apologize! Who else thinks so?

American Mad Man, I think this says it all. Don't you? Or are you still mad because you were wrong in what you did, but don't have the courage to admit it?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Next time why don't you take a few deep breaths and realize that when you attack other people, you invite people to attack you.

Originally posted by American Mad Man
You should put your money where your mouth is. Instead of paying for an internet connection when you can use a public library.

Clearly, the first attack byAmerican Mad Man. Unprovoked and uncalled for, you truly are degrading the intellectualism here. Please don't accuse others of your own dirty deeds, thanks.

[edit on 01/27/2005 by TheBigD]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
But, but for a single day they weren't just the poor and the miserable and the uneducated. They were a single voice of sarcasm, which they probably don't understand,....

Thank YOU, Red State America, for reminding us all just how pathetic and insecure you really are. You truly are a living, breathing example of inferiority complexes hard at work.

It’s this type of arrogant elitist attitude which will cause the Democrats to lose again in ’08.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
To: The Division Bell
1. I'm not attacking you. Don't assume that.

"You are in no position to criticize any of these people that put this billboard up, because you don't know the first thing about them." He does have a point. Go watch the end of Schindler's list. Schindler was a man who got to do FAR BEYOND what you should ever hope to do. Yet, at the end of the movie, he was kicking himself for not saving more people from a truely evil man.
I'm not pleased by how abrupt American Mad Man got over this, but just because he was upsetting, doen't mean he did not have a point. His point is valid. It does no good to complain about already spent money, whether for or against. Somebody was going to buy up that billboard. No matter who spent the money on whatever innane product or message,no matter where they put it, there's always something better it could have gone for.
I don't need to buy the brand of clothing I wear, I don't need to buy the cleaners I buy. If one month of being unwashed saves lives in India, why am I still bathing? Seeing that I'm a Christian, and that "His divine power has given us everything for life and Godlyness (sp???) through our knowledge of Him (christ) who called us, by his own glory and goodness," (and sooo many other scriptures), why am I still taking care of myself and letting others die?
Several reasons: Hindsight is great, but when we look at the future, all we have is tunnel vision. Perspective: not everyone holds the same things with the same ammount of value....and to change that brings in sections of Communism that I don't want to see in this country. People with that ammount of money HAVE to give money to causes, if they want to be politically active in that state. Most people who are politically active do volunteer work; people have reputations. \even crazy old Bush and his wife do volunteer work, and send money to various causes. It's just that the majority of Republicans who do this don't feel the need to publicize all their good deeds.
As for educating Ethopian children: It does no good to teach children in Ethopia without revamping thier entire way of life. It is sickiningly rude to give a person an education, then snatch away thought of advancement. We'd be better off bringing some over to our country, giving them an education here, and giving some the option, with proper training, to go back and take over their country. The technology to feed Etheopia form Etheopia exists (otherwise Israel would be long dead). It's not just war that causes other countries to hate us, most of our programs designed to help the world just fail to truely help, and tee off a nation. We've got to stop doing this. Why don't we ask these peopel what they think they need? One of the last things on a poor Ethopian's mind is whether or not their child knows the alphabet...though they are proud when their staving child writes a note to the overworked white doctor when mamma's having a breached birth without a proper hosptol. No, this is not an attack on you. This is sheer frustration at the inefficiency of world aide groups.
For all:
As for the Terminator Gov., lol...He's just a Republican by title. Some of the stuff he proposes....*sigh, shakes head*

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Let's look at this in a different light...mmmkay?

The Democratic party looked like the NFC this year. They have No Farkin' Chance of winning. Last January, could you name at least four of the people running and their platforms? (Well, Joe Blow Average American couldn't. We here do keep ourselves "informed") The only star of the convention was a very prominent anti-semite. The person we thought was going to win went crazy. He went to the deep end of our spectrum.

Then, it became apparent that John F Kerry was pulling ahead and was going to take it. Once that day happened, major assault campaigns began against this man. Fox News, Conservative talk radio, even Bush himself were taking potshots. News about his past that came out seemed like it was readied for that day. The following weeks saw a fake sex scandal start to brim, his service in question (I'll get back to that), the flip flops, and that he was the most liberal member of the Senate. (The journal that made the list only chose a select few votes to prove it...perhaps intentionally making him the most liberal senator...No, that was their plan all along) Bush/Rove/Fox was ready for this guy.

First off, they went for the Boogeyman rhetoric. For the past four years, and probably longer than that, the right has demonized anything remotely liberal. They have turned it into an almost undefensible position. From the "left wing media" to the elitist Hollywood scum to the liberal-ANTI-GOD professors at College...the right has done enough to scare the bejesus out of their folk. Now, you have the Boogeyman incarnate standing there in front of you wanting to lead this country. "Boo!" He is the most liberal senator. "Boo!" More liberal than Ted "Chappaquiddic" Kennedy. "Boo!" When Ted Kennedy is the Conservative Senator from Massachusetts there is a problem. "Boo!" When Hillary "It Takes All of Your Money To Raise a Child" Clinton looks like Jerry Falwell in comparison, you gotta be scared and get out there and vote.

The flip flop and assault on his record part was the only legitamate-ish claim that was made. But people wanted to believe the president/Fox News. Some of the flip flops were legitamate, but many were blown out of proportion. You see, most of these could be accounted for, between changing your mind after years of delay between votes or ramifications and things changing on the bills themselves. Ultimately, they lied or pushed the envelope on how much of flip flopper this guy truly was. Now there were some. (Vehicle flip flop, Patriot Act flip flopish, Iraq war flip flopish) But all of the things listed by the right were not always true. Then, they started showing him voting against SPECIFICALLY all of these weapons programs. Which is in fact an outright LIE! The right lied about these. John Kerry voted against BUDGET bills. But that didn't matter to those on the right wing political machine.

Then came the sex scandal thingy that brewed for about two weeks. But after everyone's name was cleared, the damage intended was already done.

And the last one, his service record. It was attacked before he even spoke about it. He was always on the defense with this one.

John Kerry was DOA after the nomination. And even with the most massive smear campaign in history outside of McCarthy's days, he still almost became president. Even though Kerry was a worse candidate than Dukakis....he still almost became president. Even though Kerry couldn't run a campaign, let alone run a country...he still almost became president.

And the right should not be nearly as smug as they are. You beat the equievalent of a kid with gimpy leg in a marathon. The fact is that close to half of the country HATES Bush enough to bet on the "kid with a gimpy leg in a marathon". The election is not a testament to how great of a president Bush is, but rather a reminder that Bush is hated and almost lost to a political retard.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ruins
It’s this type of arrogant elitist attitude which will cause the Democrats to lose again in ’08.

What, plain folks is the new black?

Folksy charm is fashionable, because the mediocre of the world want hand holding and their world view reinforced?

Too bad.

The Democrats could lose a 100 more times, but that won't make stupid people any less stupid, especially those who sign away their freedoms and social security...so men can't get married to each other. I'm not going to applaud anyone for being slightly above average.

I like to mutlitask, and if that makes me an arrogant elitist, then sign me up right quick. I'll play my fiddle while the nation falls apart around us.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Why dont they take out a billboard that thanks the Christian Coalition, and Diebold. I'm going to keep this link stored, so when we get bombed again or someone sinks one in W's skull, you people can eat your words.

Or how about W. flippin the bird and a slogan like, "heres to 52 million Americans". I'll see ya guys in 4 years...

[edit on 1-2-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Absolutely PRICELESS....
, good too see money go to "good" use.. At least the right has some humor in them yet!!

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Division Bell
A $100,000 could've done this instead:
Provide economic growth for 100 entrepeneurs in Kenya.

This is B/S. How much of the total sum of profits for each star mentioned in the billboard could be used for global causes? How much of just their luxury spending could be used for that? Heck, how much of their waste spending could be used for that?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'll just end all this controversy and quit posting here. I deserve more respect than has been given by American Mad Man. Thanks for your perspective, jlc163.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by The Division Bell]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

This is B/S. How much of the total sum of profits for each star mentioned in the billboard could be used for global causes? How much of just their luxury spending could be used for that? Heck, how much of their waste spending could be used for that?

Look up how many of them already contribute to society. It's more than Bush's whooping $10,000 to Tsunami victims.

Okay, thats my last post. Thats it! Absurdity can now prevail! Have fun everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I have much to learn as to I being a young grasshopper. However outside of the world of forum posting, I am well beyond my wings. Ponder this shall we?

Columbine was caused by? A group of children that had a lack of attention from home (I guess so since most of the parents knew not of the weapons and their emotional state.). Caused by an influence of music and tv, that forced the children to pick up the weapons, and go to school and do their deeds...or so said media propganda.

Many Americans have stressed the danger of influence of some tv, movies, musical bands and other media propaganda has over children and young adults, even older. However, we always seem to depend on these same evil evil people to tell us what way to think when it comes to picking and choosing political powers? So, we are not allowed to listen to them for entertainment, only when they are picking and choosing....I see now...

That sounds about right... I mean I dont know about the rest of you but Ill take an opinion from an entertainer anyday, heck our lives are just so much the same. I mean, I get up at 6am, go to work come home at 6pm, then eat, play with my dog and go back to work at 8:30pm...and then come home at 12:30pm...I can see how that is so much like a movie stars, they get up at 6 right? go to work and deal with "real" people all day long, balance their checkbook (
whats that!?!), get a facial chemical peal, go home, have a few drinks, hobnob some more, and fall asleep at a reasonable time, because they do need their beauty sleep.

What makes me irritated is that they always say "I lead a pretty normal life", What is normal about making millions, being on a movie screen and having some one pretty much eat your food for you? The last time I checked I WAS NORMAL, working 10 hour days, in a trade, providing for me, family and who ever else lands in my house on my pay check to pay check, having ONE car, and using the BUS most of the time, buying shoes only when I really need them or get a bonus...ironing my own clothes, picking out my own clothes and wearing other peoples clothes (instead of my own brand that is.)...

O, yeah, I can see where I fit into their scheme of normality. Eh, I do get that Ice Moca Latte every once in a while; but trust me my life and normal scale is way different from their life and normal scale. Eh, who knows they may have worked hard to get there, hard enough so they dont do much of anything besides look good and say what they are paid to do.

I am paid to say what I mean, and I mean what I believe in. I believe in what I take the time to understand and research on instead of saying things on a big ole note card.

So when it comes to the reality of the normal of America sees on the screen is more of a faux fur coat from far away.
on "Howlywood" and
on the people they support politically

[edit on 1-2-2005 by WhoMe]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Look up how many of them already contribute to society. It's more than Bush's whooping $10,000 to Tsunami victims.

Okay, thats my last post. Thats it! Absurdity can now prevail! Have fun everyone.

How much did America recieve in their bouts with massive hurrican and the recent flood victims in the North, from other countries? It seems as though we have to be responsible for others misfortuns before our own? No, 150,000 people of ours did not die, but 2,000 people did run into a recieding beach line to get fish, because they thought it was their "god" telling them to be fruitfull and eat the fish...I am sorry but people in areas on Fault lines should be informed of the dangers of and the signs of Tsunami's.

As for donations...Since people were so hard up to give Kerry money for his "Plans" then I think they should have to contribute their refunds and write-offs, to other foundations of mis-fortunes. I already donate, to United Way out of every pay check...how many Americans do that? How many companies even give people that option to help Americans first, and other countries?

O, and I guess the visit that Jeb Bush and other people made to help people organize the damage and assest the damage done was worth nothing too?

Talk about one sided...good greif, what is next, we as America(ns) are the sole responsable people for starvation ALL over the world right? Isn't it funny that we also supply, India, Africa, China and parts of South America with GM Foods to help maintain healthy lives for themselves and live stalk. Should it NOT be the responsiblity of maintaining information for your OWN country in how to farm and produce for your family and community? OR should we take the time to do that as well? Wait, we do that already as well. I am at a loss then, why is it that a person gets ridiculed for only sending $10,000 in money to these people, but we have sent them hundreds of thousands and millions in food, clothing and other things they need to help start rebuilding, or did that just slip someones mind?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoMe
I am at a loss then, why is it that a person gets ridiculed for only sending $10,000 in money to these people.

It's a great gesture for him with political benefits. It would have meant more to me if President Bush who has a net value of $20 million dollars would've donated more than .0005% of his own net worth. Ofcourse it is great that he donated $10,000, but if he wants America to follow his example than .0005% of of us is not going to amount to a lot. For me, that would be .65 cents. I have a net worth of $1300, not bragging or nothin.
C'mon he paid his players more than that when he was a partial owner in the Texas Rangers.

----My last ridiculious post, I SWEAR! Grubble at my comments and whine your lil' conservative hearts out.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Quess what everybody. Lets stop the sniping and personal attacks. They add nothing to the discussion and are counterproductive. More to the point they are against the T&C of the site. So everybody take a deep breath, count to ten, and resume.

Thanks
FredT

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I am at a loss then, why is it that a person gets ridiculed for only sending $10,000 in money to these people.

It's a great gesture for him with political benefits. It would have meant more to me if President Bush who has a net value of $20 million dollars would've donated more than .0005% of his own net worth. Ofcourse it is great that he donated $10,000, but if he wants America to follow his example than .0005% of of us is not going to amount to a lot. For me, that would be .65 cents. I have a net worth of $1300, not bragging or nothin.
C'mon he paid his players more than that when he was a partial owner in the Texas Rangers.

----My last ridiculious post, I SWEAR! Grubble at my comments and whine your lil' conservative hearts out.

Your right, it is nothing to brag about. Even more so when I make less than you bi-weekly and donate $3.00 from my net pay. And the fact that he paid his players more THEN, being the key word. Also do the research to how much his father donated, with Bill Clinton...trust me I am sure it would be more than what you laugh at now.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Quess what everybody. Lets stop the sniping and personal attacks. They add nothing to the discussion and are counterproductive. More to the point they are against the T&C of the site. So everybody take a deep breath, count to ten, and resume.

Thanks
FredT

Hey wait a minute....now I have to do chapters to get one point across? Humf

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Your right, it is nothing to brag about. Even more so when I make less than you bi-weekly and donate $3.00 from my net pay.

But I've got you on the volunteering part. Have you volunteered? C'mon quit being childish. I'm starting to dislike some ATS members pathetic attempts for some unknown intention, to prove a point? What point?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Your right, it is nothing to brag about. Even more so when I make less than you bi-weekly and donate $3.00 from my net pay.

But I've got you on the volunteering part. Have you volunteered? C'mon quit being childish. I'm starting to dislike some ATS members pathetic attempts for some unknown intention, to prove a point? What point?

But my point was there...lol And yes I have volunteered. 1st Presbitarian Church of Pittsburgh, as well as comunity college. Not only for the Tsunami victims, but the 3,000 people affected by the floods in Western PA

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

But my point was there...lol And yes I have volunteered. 1st Presbitarian Church of Pittsburgh, as well as comunity college. Not only for the Tsunami victims, but the 3,000 people affected by the floods in Western PA

Good. Just UNICEF here. Guess i'm a little slow on the up-take.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join