It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How's about a global bill of rights ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think there are probably a small set of ideas that globally everyone could agree on. Some things are pretty universal with most people.

The only people that would disagree to ideas like "No Genocide" or "No Child Abuse" or "No Rape" are tyrants and people who abuse others for their own gain anyway.

The tricky part isn't coming up with the small set of rules but in how well they're defined so as not to be abused. That's where you'd get in to trouble.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: thudpuddy

That's it for me, I wanted to keep this simple plus I'm old ,cranky and tired. And if someone would explain to me how to make paragraphs I would be in your debt, I have no idea how I did it up above.

Hi there.
Ever used a type writer?
When typing in a forum on the internet and getting to the end of the; is it called an end-tab? That lever you pull to restart a line below to continue your sentence?

Hitting the enter button at that time will do the same thing here. Hit it twice to separate the sentence lines...

Hope that helps.

...and about forcing our will onto foreigner's heads to fall in line and do as we say is not exactly serving justice to people is it?
The only cure for this disease is to learn and practice self-restraint on a global scale.

Karma likes serving justice, and can be a bitch sometimes. We can hope she will smile upon us in our efforts.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The only people that would disagree to ideas like "No Genocide" or "No Child Abuse" or "No Rape" are tyrants and people who abuse others for their own gain anyway.

I agree with your list, however, they are things a decent human being already avoids and rules aren't going to stop someone that doesn't have a moral compass.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

This is very true. Which is why you'd have to enforce those rules as well. By force if needed. That would be another reason why having them defined clearly would be most important.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: thudpuddy
For a first one how about don't murder?

We already have that here, how's it working out for us?

A bill of rights is like the bible ambiguous at best, you interpret until the cows come home, then start all over again the next day.

Ultimately, People have no rights, it's the law that comes first, and allows a policeman to say, "we don't have time for this" and shoots a disabled youngster, already being restrained by two other policemen, dead in his parents home, and gets away with it. R.I.P. Keith Vidal, R.I.P. God knows how many others. I have no words for this policeman, and those like him.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
"Enforce it on the rest of the world"? That means us too.
Listen, sunshine, we have a record of resisting outsiders trying to enforce things on us. What else do you think Brexit was about? Just try it and see what happens.

edit on 2-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

This has existed since 1948. Universal Declaration of Human Rights From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do they teach you Americans at school?

edit on 2/1/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

What do they teach you Americans at school?

Football and obedience.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
How about a UN that kicks out members that do not enforce basic human rights and limits their ability to do business...... instead of inviting them in the club and overlooking what they do

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Uh, no.

Nope.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

The concept that America should be the world police is obscene.

Imagine the fuss if the Ukraine decided to step on to American soil and sort out the human rights abuses that have led to the enourmous imprisonment rates and corporate corruption of rights now happening in the US.

Also, If everyone upheld the UN declaration, there would be nowhere left for the US government to 'render' its alleged opponents to.

edit on 2/1/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Yeah, we seem to do a lot of things we'd never accept in return. I can't think of any powerful organization anywhere who doesn't on some level live by the rule of "Do what I say, not as I do."

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Yeah, we seem to do a lot of things we'd never accept in return. I can't think of any powerful organization anywhere who doesn't on some level live by the rule of "Do what I say, not as I do."

The American republic experiment seemed so full of hope. It is such a shame to watch it fail by degrees.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: thudpuddy
How's about a global bill of rights ?

The whole bill of rights thing is masturbatory.
You might as well have a bill of flying, that allows you to spread your arms and fly!
First, there are no 'rights'.
You do not have the 'right' to live another moment!
Your life can end at any moment and no 'rights' can touch that Reality!
The government that 'allows' you those 'rights', can rescind them at any time!
That makes them 'privileges', not 'rights'.
But 'rights' makes the drooling populace 'feel better'.
A 'global bill of rights' would be as meaningless as the American BofR!
It certainly isn't going to impress the 99% of humanity that 'serves' the 1%!
Like the USA, you have all the 'rights' that money can buy, but it is still a 'false sense', as even the wealthy cannot buy health or life!

Some of what you said implies that you believe in 'free-will/choice'.
That is an error, and that which grows from such vanity is bound to end in disappointment and suffering! *__-

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

"Powerful organization"?!?!
I cannot think of anyone past puberty who is not a hypocrite!

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Assuming that the World wants American values is American arrogance at its worst.

America has so many values that are repugnant to large parts of the planet, that imposing American (or even Christian) values on everyone would never work.

The best thing about HUMANITY is that much of it has different values than the rest, meaning that we can all LEARN from one another. If you impose one set of values on everyone, you're admitting that you're giving up learning from them.

So far as I can tell, Americans can't even agree as to which are the best values for themselves. Get it right for yourselves, before you start imposing your warped values on others.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
America has the highest rates of incarceration in the world, massive intolerance for anyone different or anything new, and can't even decide among themselves on basic rights for each other. America doesn't even have basic rights based on sexual orientation, something many other countries have.

You want to impose American rights and values on the world? Get your own house in order, then we can talk.

Personally, I'd rather have CANADIAN values (but then of course, no Canadian would be arrogant enough to think that their values should be imposed on everyone).

American values have led to the election of Donald Trump as President. A man who has no values, no ethics, and no moral compass. And you want to impose this thinking on the world?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

True but just being a hypocrite isn't the same as being a force that abuses people. I was talking about stuff on that level. Like being world police or invading other countries and stuff.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I don't think a country with institutionalized racism, has any business telling other countries how to be "moral"....

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
unfortunately the U.S. has no interest in upholding anybody`s rights any more,it`s all about money.
The U.S. has alliances with countries who`s values and beliefs are the polar opposite of the U.S. but they continue to maintain these alliances purely for the money.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join