It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump blasts Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel for record-setting 762 homicides

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
President Elect Trump addressed the Chicago shooting problem in a Tweet to Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

He says Emanuel should ask for Federal help !!

What does "Federal help" mean ?

The article says Chicago confiscated over 8,000 guns in 2016.

Trump blasts Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel for record-setting 762 homicides and 4,331 shooting victims in 2016 and says he 'must ask for Federal help' if he can't fix Windy City

Donald Trump used his Twitter bully pulpit on Monday to blast Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel for allowing his city's murder and firearms shooting rates to spiral out of control.

'Chicago murder rate is record setting – 4,331 shooting victims with 762 murders in 2016,' Trump tweeted.

'If Mayor can't do it he must ask for Federal help!'

2016 was one of the most violent years in Chicago history with the most homicides in two decades – more than New York and Los Angeles combined.

The nation's third largest city also saw 1,100 more shooting incidents last year than it did in 2015, according to data released Sunday by the Chicago Police Department.

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
That isn't part of Obama's legacy, is it?

+42 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Home to some of the strictest gun laws in the USA

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
That isn't part of Obama's legacy, is it?

Thats just Chicago hahah. Glad I dont live there.
Trump needs to respect states rights. Chicago has a problem but it isnt the feds problem.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Are laws being enforced?

Seems to me, if criminals aren't afraid of the consequences of their actions, then they would see no reason to change.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Was offered a job for just about double to move to Chicago.....turned it down without a second thought.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I am going to be there tomorrow. Last time I was in 5 people got shot. Coincidence?

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Good Lord, Chicago is a war-zone. A bit sad that Americans don't see this level of gun crime as a national scandal. The mayor and the whole of Chicago is failing itself and needs to get a grip.

Maybe Trump is right.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Are laws being enforced?

Seems to me, if criminals aren't afraid of the consequences of their actions, then they would see no reason to change.

Yes and No

Right now, Chicago Police are not really looking for offenders ahead of time.

They act as reactionaries only.

Lawsuits are the problem.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I am going to be there tomorrow. Last time I was in 5 people got shot. Coincidence?

Knock on door incoming in

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

60 minutes did a story on this last night, which is probably what Trump saw that got him to tweet this.

In the story they said the number of police stops dropped from like 50,000 to 8,000 in the last year, basically it was implying the Chicago police have decided to not put themselves at risk and make any proactive stops, and only respond to 911 calls.

One of the cops said that essentially if they are going to get in trouble for doing their jobs - via black lives matter type protests, it is better to just not do their jobs until they are appreciated.

The story sure did make it seem like a disaster, so I think Trump basically wants to be asked to help. Not sure exactly what that would entail though.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Like someone said upthread, it's not the Fed's problem. For starters Rahm is an idiot. If the CPD can't handle it then it's up to the governor to call up the Illinois National Guard to police the streets in the problem areas.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Only 5?

Someone is slipping. . . .

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

I agree--at least, it isn't the feds' problem YET.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hm, this can't be true because we were told by all the conservatives on this site that overturning their gun ban would end the violence.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If you are found guilty of a crime where you used a gun, then it should be the death penalty.

That would curb it.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Hm, this can't be true because we were told by all the conservatives on this site that overturning their gun ban would end the violence.

uh, the police stopped doing their job.
unless you are advocating roving armed community watches?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Be safe and stay out of those rough neighborhoods. Don't even drive through them

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

"Obama ignored the 4,000 murders in Chicago,but UNHESITATINGLY rushed into the Trayvon Martin,Ferguson,etc,issues"

Quoted from a poster on another news site-but really needs to be remembered and taught to children for generations to come.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Be safe and stay out of those rough neighborhoods. Don't even drive through them

Hopefully the 12th floor at the Drake will insulate me enough from the violence and blood shed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join