It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family sues to let daughter play on boys team

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Apparently this young lady wants to play with the boys because her school didn't have enough girls for a team of their own.
This is a saint school so it's likely private. That might effect the lawsuit.

I say no.
Many schools don't have boys volleyball but do have girls teams. Do boys get to play? I doubt it.

There are many options for her to play basketball. They need to explore those options.

www.nj.com...-homepage-featured

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Something needs to be done, we can't have gender only sports teams forever, it's kinda dumb.

I think co-ed sports should be around, if physical issues get in the way, balance them, I've seen girls that could handle guys twice their size.

Physical matters but not as much if you have heart.

Not to mention, this will further draw attention to the issue and will get more people thinking about it and solutions to try and perfect.

It's a matter of population though, don't punish the few at every school for something we're too stupid to come to a solution of.

Our lack of imagination and tact shouldn't be an acceptable reason for inequality.
edit on 23-12-2016 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Female brazilian national football team lost to a U-15 male team.

Just saying.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Actually, boys are sometimes allowed to compete on all-girl sports teams - like this boy, who was fighting to be allowed to participate on the girls volleyball team because his school didn't have enough players for a boys team.

According to the NCAA, an organization that knows a thing or two about Title IX compliance, the act applies to both public and private institutions. I don't think the school is going to get around compliance.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Girls are physically not on the same level as boys.
At least by high school age.
Girls would never get to play if they had to fight the boys for spots.

This girl has other options for playing basketball like travel leagues.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gusamaso

Female brazilian national football team lost to a U-15 male team.

Just saying.

Before puberty sets in, it's often an even playing field. I was the only girl on a baseball team at 12 (definitely as good as any of my teammates) and again at 15 (only average-- but this may also be because playing competititve softball ruined my baseball swing). I've also played street ball (basketball) often with boys only. No problem. Wanna try a match?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Why should someone be barred from playing on a team just because she's a woman? She probably has more skills than half of the boys on the team.

Most schools don't have men's volleyball because no right minded man would want to play the sport in a gym. In most schools I've seen there are barely any girls that want to play volleyball competitively.

Yet it's ok for boys to play on girls teams...

"According to a survey sent by the PIAA this winter to its 1,470 member schools (742 responded), 38 schools reported boys playing girls field hockey, 14 reported boys playing girls volleyball, eight reported boys playing girls lacrosse, five reported boys playing girls soccer and one each reported boys playing girls swimming and girls tennis. Plus, 163 schools reported that boys had played on girls teams but failed to identify the sport. All told, more than 30 percent of responding schools had a boy playing on a girls team."

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Ridiculous, my son has played rugby since age 6 and by mid teens every single male player was more powerful than any of the equivalent female team in the club.

Mixed gender teams hahaha, a girl being picked for the match day squad would be as rare as rocking-horse dung.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Schools are allowed to do as they wish.
But when one of those boys playing on a girls team get them to a state title game the screaming will begin.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

My daughter is 14 and can physically dominate many boys in her grade. Two years from now I wouldn't bet the same will be true.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Girls are physically not on the same level as boys.
At least by high school age.
Girls would never get to play if they had to fight the boys for spots.

This girl has other options for playing basketball like travel leagues.

I've played on travel leagues. Do you have any idea how expensive they are?

Also-- article in question is about a 7th grade team. She will hold her own, don't worry. The worst things that could happen are
a) she shows the boys up and embarrasses the cr@p out of them
b) the boys show her up and prove that she didn't have the talent to play at their level.

I agree that by highschool, 99% of girls would not have the strength to compete with the male athletes (but many could still beat the average guy).

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Ridiculous, my son has played rugby since age 6 and by mid teens every single male player was more powerful than any of the equivalent female team in the club.

Mixed gender teams hahaha, a girl being picked for the match day squad would be as rare as rocking-horse dung.

Up until the governing body, or government, tells teams they're now required to have a certain number of females in the starting lineup. All in the name of equality, of course.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The boys sound particularly weak then, or your daughter is an unusual exception.
There is a reason the rugby authorities segregate genders at teen age, it is because the overwhelming majority of males are more powerful than females of the same age.
You know, safety.

Note I said overwhelming majority not all, exceptions such as your daughter obviously occur rarely.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Do you think the governing body should create a law forbidding women from playing on a male sports team?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Then they will get hurt.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Cheaper than a lawyer? Lol

I know this is seventh grade but where do we draw the line?

I went to high school with a girl that was a great basketball player. Machelle Joseph.
She coaches Georgia techs girls team.
She could kick my butt in high school. But she is an oddity not the norm.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

My daughter is surely an exception, not the norm.
Funny though, looking at her she doesn't look like a monster. She's quite lovely.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

a reply to: zosimov

Cheaper than a lawyer? Lol

Well that's a good point

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

My daughter is 14 and can physically dominate many boys in her grade. Two years from now I wouldn't bet the same will be true.

You can wish all you want but you know that's not going to be the case.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

You better read that again.
I said in two years she will not be stronger than the boys.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join