It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family sues to let daughter play on boys team

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
mmm privilege

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Honestly I think its a frivolous thing to sue over. Where I live, and maybe this is only true of my area, there are tons of rec leagues and comp. leagues outside of school leagues. If my son ever faces a situation like this, sorry you're not playing with the school then until such a time as they have enough boys for the roster. Let the girls have their competitions and let the boys have theirs. That's just how I feel on this silly high-school sports drama.

-Alee

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: TheLotLizard

You better read that again.
I said in two years she will not be stronger than the boys.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It's not a volleyball team, but a guy did ruin the oldest women's college in the U.S. (MS State College For Women, Columbus, MS, established in 1884), when in 1982 a law suit decided he had the right to FORCE them to accept him since he figured his "rights" for equal protection under the 14th Amendment were being denied due to single-sex admissions policies.Tradition be damned!

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oops, dbl post
edit on 23-12-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Let her play if she can make the team. What is it going to hurt? Women are a match with men in many ways. Intelligence, speed, and as steady of hand. Some of the best shooters are women.

In Physical strength, nature gave men an advantage, but its volleyball not boxing so let her play.
edit on 23-12-2016 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

This is basketball.
I'm just saying if you let girls on boys teams you have to let boys on girls teams.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
the main reason males and females group separately is not just physical differences but to keep males from harassing and groping the girls, also to prevent issues like fighting due to jealousy or other such things associated with relationships that might disrupt the team or cause distraction.

there is always that one guy that doesn't care about decency who is a sneaky pervert groper who is all touchy and gets away with it.

equality is nice and all but be aware of why things are the way they are before you go trying to change things because you feel all riled up on feelings of unfairness or being wronged.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Is suing and money grabbing now the first recourse for people? What happened to polite discourse? To accepting rules? This last few years everyone seems to think suing is the answer to all their frivolous percieved woes....and of course the money comes in handy too

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Another facile lawsuit for the betterment of one, to the detriment of many, in the name of stupidity, for the benefit of lawyers.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
Another facile lawsuit for the betterment of one, to the detriment of many, in the name of stupidity, for the benefit of lawyers.

Do you have any idea how many lawsuits your boy Trump initiated?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Trump was never my boy, I was anti-Clinton. In case you were not aware citizens of the UK do not get to cast a vote in US elections.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Trump was never my boy, I was anti-Clinton. In case you were not aware citizens of the UK do not get to cast a vote in US elections.

You are on one of the threads I authored saying how great everything will be now that Trump has been elected! So that's why I wrote "your boy". Thanks for the civic lesson, though. I thought UK citizens also voted for the US president. I mean, doesn't everybody?

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You are on one of the threads I authored saying how great everything will be now that Trump has been elected! So that's why I wrote "your boy". Thanks for the civic lesson, though. I thought UK citizens also voted for the US president. I mean, doesn't everybody?

It is true that I did believe and still do believe Trump will be better for the US than Clinton ever could be, but there was no way actual way for me to back his presidency. The term "your boy" clearly means something different to you than it does to me.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

It is true that I did believe and still do believe Trump will be better for the US than Clinton ever could be, but there was no way actual way for me to back his presidency. The term "your boy" clearly means something different to you than it does to me.

My apologies then.

The US was effed any way you looked at it this election.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

My apologies then.

The US was effed any way you looked at it this election.

No need to apologise my friend, I appreciate it of course, but I also enjoy healthy debate.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Sports is like, so totally gay.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I see my thinking and others are a little too futuristic for some, I can come back and debate this in 50 years and see how things have matured.

We still live in a society that doesn't

let you put what you want in your body,
do what you want with your body,
be the sex you comfortably identify with,
watch and hear what you want.

Yet we're proud of our freedoms??!?!

ok.

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Apparently this young lady wants to play with the boys because her school didn't have enough girls for a team of their own.
This is a saint school so it's likely private. That might effect the lawsuit.

I say no.
Many schools don't have boys volleyball but do have girls teams. Do boys get to play? I doubt it.

There are many options for her to play basketball. They need to explore those options.

www.nj.com...-homepage-featured

If she's good enough why not? That's all I care about. If she's however getting a spot in the place of a boy who actually is better at it then it's prejudice. I don't care what the excuse is, even if the prejudice has a good intention it's still robbing another person of a opportunity they're entitled to for legitimate reasons. Being better is the whole point! If you're not good enough you don't get the spot. This is why I never got on even Junior Varsity.

How do we determine who's better? I think there's a lot of grey area. A lot of room for prejudice to exist on both sides.

I will say I knew a lot of guys on the teams who weren't as athetlic but had high basketball IQ. I was one of those guys who was athletic but had no IQ. So you'd have to judge htis girl fairly on all fronts.

Another problem is 1 girl on a team of boys could present trouble. I know we're all supposed to be equal and equal opportunity, but sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to. There're limits. I don't even mean boys and girls. I mean she has to use another lockerrooom, so how would that work? What about the jersey? The basketball? From what i understand, girls use smaller balls. ETc. It's just opening can of worms maybe we shouldn't open.

EDIT: We want equality. Maybe that's what we'll get.

edit on 12/23/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TranceopticalinclinedI've seen girls that could handle guys twice their size.

So 1 team, and choose all the best with no regard for gender. I'll sign that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join